Bullseye NO grease drain on 380!!

Pete 396

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I am about to pick up a 380 and am concerned that there is no grease drain-bucket on it. What do you do on slow and low cooks and on fast and high cooks. Drip pan on diffuser?? with or without water?? This is my only concern about the 380. I have never owned any grill other than charcoal that didn't have a grease catcher that you could empty. Thanking you in advance for your input.

I dont have a 380, but I think they recommend putting a drip pan on slow cooks to prevent grease fires and grease build up. But I am sure more knowledge will appear soon.

I am about to pick up a 380 and am concerned that there is no grease drain-bucket on it. What do you do on slow and low cooks and on fast and high cooks. Drip pan on diffuser?? with or without water?? This is my only concern about the 380. I have never owned any grill other than charcoal that didn't have a grease catcher that you could empty. Thanking you in advance for your input.

I don't have one either but the above recommendations to deal with grease I have seen mentioned before. If you are looking for low & slow cooks I understand the 380 is not best suited for that and better on high cooks. You might want to search a bit before you decide but I would recommend a larger model for low & slow cooks based on that. I'm sure others will jump in that have more 380 knowledge.

I'd suggest doing some research before you buy.

I’m mentioning the RT-340 as it has the same cooking area as the Bullseye. I have the Bullseye and the wife has a RT-340 that she let’s me use, and if I wanted to do a lot of low and slow cooks and could only have one, it would be the RT-340. Where (when) the Bullseye shines, is as a complement grill to a pellet smoker.
FEC32408-FE06-4060-A94D-E1457D36DDCE.jpeg

Thanks for your help. I am not looking for a low and slow smoker. I want it for mostly faster cooks. I think it will work out fine for what I want. I don't live but a hour from them so will go pick one up Wednesday and let you know how it dose. I talked to them today and they said not to use a drip pan, said it would interfere with air flow. Trick to no grease fires is to keep it clean, should be simple all you have is the grate and heat diffuser to lift out. We shall see.

Gotcha. You asked about both low and slow and fast cooks in your initial post, so I gave my best recommendation for someone looking to do a mix of both. Good luck, and do keep us posted!

Yes you are correct, I was asking what people did to handle it without a grease catcher. I think a low and slow would make more of a mess with no drain than a fast cook. My longest cooks will be three to four hours. I am anal about keeping my grills clean so I don't see a problem with the 380 for me. Thank you for your help. On a side note I am seeing problems here with the lid hinge but seems Recteq absolutely stands behind there products so I will be buying with confidence.

Yes and Yes for slow cooks. No for hot and sear. And clean bottom after slow fatty cooks. Not an ideal grill for bacon or pork belly rendering. Super for hot fast and medium. I’ve seen great low slow on YouTube with drip pan and water.

Yes you are correct, I was asking what people did to handle it without a grease catcher. I think a low and slow would make more of a mess with no drain than a fast cook. My longest cooks will be three to four hours. I am anal about keeping my grills clean so I don't see a problem with the 380 for me. Thank you for your help. On a side note I am seeing problems here with the lid hinge but seems Recteq absolutely stands behind there products so I will be buying with confidence.
I used to be in the camp of not using a drip pan. I recently changed and tried one out on my 380. I'm sold on a drip pan for low and slow cooks now. It just keeps everything much cleaner on a fatty cook, and it did not add any time to the cook, so I would say it does not appear to mess with the heat at all.

I would not recommend one for hot cooking, but for brisket, ribs, roast, etc etc, absolutely.

I use a Drip Pan on the diffuser and put some water in it. The pan does get hot and usually only lasts a couple of cooks. I bought a stack of 9" x 12" pans at Costco. They were like $7 or $8 for 30 pans.
Some cooks I just put some foil down.

I got a 380 for Christmas, love it! But recently I screwed up!! I was not familiar with the cleaning process of a pellet grill, I've always used gas or preferably lump charcoal. So, shame on me, but I ended up with a fierce grease fire. Just before Mrs' Trated called the fire department I decided to quench the fire with water...Oooops!! Fire went out! The auger locked up tight, I couldn't move it. Finally had to disassemble the unit to get access to the auger, it was locked up tight!! After removing the kettle and the hopper and auger motor I was able to move the auger about 3/4 turn which allowed me to put a hammer drill on the auger axle. It's all OK!! BAck together and I'm testing the auger. It moves awfully slowly, what is the RMP of the auger in normal conditions? It seems slow to me.

I think about 2 RPM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back