Nitrile Gloves

Smoker4... you pose a great question. I have ditched my old fashioned way of thinking and try to adopt the same cleanliness practices I hope to see in a restaurant with regard to food handling. One tweek I made is to reserve the nitrile for cooked meat pulls (with cotton gloves when handling meat pulls Or cleaning with industrial solvents. I use medical grade plastic clear gloves during the actual ambient temperature food prep. The reason for the two methods is my attempt to bend the cost curve since the plastic gloves are significantly less than the nitrile and I change them more frequently. Ultimately, I realize we’re talking small savings but I’m old school and was taught that “if you watch the pennies and nickels, the dollars will take care of themselves”.

Just my opinion,
Appreciate the feedback. I've been tempted to start going this way. I watch the guys using them in the videos and they grab the seasoning bottles with the hand that was just on the raw meat. How do they prevent cross contamination? Are they throwing away a $10 rub bottle every time they cook? Or just cleaning it somehow off screen when they are done?

I'll consider giving them a try. I'm kind of old school with just a good scub up. Can always improve!

I am increasingly wondering that food products are not trustworthy.

I've noticed it too lately, I thought I was just winding myself up

Food safety is a Whack-a-mole game. A problem pops up and we whack it.

But there are systemic food safety systems in place, even for imported foods.

Just keep in mind, safety is not the absence of risk, safety is risk managed to an acceptable level. What's acceptable necessarily changes based on what is practical with the resources and technology.

I've been using these gloves Gorilla Gloves from Amazon for a few years. Mainly for handling raw meat. Went to restock about a week ago and noticed 1 box of 100 XL was 9.98 but a case of 10 boxes of 100 for 48.99! I won't be restocking for a long time!

The topic is old but I still want to chime in and add some thoughts. I hear ya, I'm always looking for good deals on disposable medical gloves. I've had the same problem with the Recteq store being out of stock, it's frustrating. I've had luck in the past with buying them through bulk supply stores, but that's usually a bit more expensive. I know a few other people on this forum who have had success ordering them online too. It might be worth checking out a few different places on the web and seeing what you can find. It's not that easy to find fully disposable gloves but it's worth it.

Last edited:
The topic is old but I still want to chime in and add some thoughts. I hear ya, I'm always looking for good deals on disposable medical gloves. I've had the same problem with the Recteq store being out of stock, it's frustrating. I've had luck in the past with buying them through bulk supply stores, but that's usually a bit more expensive. I know a few other people on this forum who have had success ordering them online too. It might be worth checking out a few different places on the web and seeing what you can find. It's not that easy to find fully disposable gloves but it's worth it.
I often use Home Depot Nitrile gloves. I put them on and wash with hot water and soap before handling food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back