Bull Newbie Questions

edryer4356

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
1. When I did the ice water calibration for the meat probes they were both 6 degrees off from 32deg. I adjusted the setting. But that just seems way off. Is that normal? Feel like I should calibrate a few times before I believe.

2. Do the sear grill grates affect the actual temperature if you leave them them in? I’ve noticed a few times when searing, the actual temp is higher then what I set the dial.

Thanks

I can't address No. 1, but as far as No: 2 It is reasonable to expect that both extruded aluminum and cast iron will hold more heat and thus be hotter at the metal surface. Both materials have more surface area and density. I have heard on other posts that the differential can be as much as 50 - 100 degrees higher. Taking that into consideration it is quite possible that the BE should typically never need to go to RIOT mode to get a more than adequate sear on most things. JMT's

I would do a side-by-side temp test using a secondary ambient temp device, like a Weber iGrill, for example. Simply position your secondary probe next to the one built in to your RT, bring the grill temp up to 275 and see if they both read the same - or at least close.

2. Do the sear grill grates affect the actual temperature if you leave them them in? I’ve noticed a few times when searing, the actual temp is higher then what I set the dial.

Thanks
0A05E509-82C4-4E45-AA7F-D847322A0DD0.jpeg

1. When I did the ice water calibration for the meat probes they were both 6 degrees off from 32deg. I adjusted the setting. But that just seems way off. Is that normal? Feel like I should calibrate a few times before I believe.

Thanks
Make sure the hex nuts on the probe receiver housing are tight. If they are not, you’ll get all kinds of crazy readings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back