Newbie question

Hackinator

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I did a chuck roast today and it came out very good….my question is in regards to the probe…shove it in to the shank including the angle portion or just the tip?

Thanks

i believe you just want the tip to be roughly in the deepest part. the tip is what i think measures, it doesn’t matter about the exposed bend. i would recommend just using the probes as a gage to keep track of your cook and using a handheld thermometer to probe for temps and tenderness at the very end of your cook to determine when actually done

Insert the probe so that the tip is in the center of the meat. In some cases, that will be “up to the shank” and in others, it will just be in a small distance. The idea is to have it in the place that warms up last.

And, avoid placing the probe tip close to bone or large fat pockets. You want it in the middle of the firm meat.

i believe you just want the tip to be roughly in the deepest part. the tip is what i think measures, it doesn’t matter about the exposed bend. i would recommend just using the probes as a gage to keep track of your cook and using a handheld thermometer to probe for temps and tenderness at the very end of your cook to determine when actually done
Thank you

At what point do you put the probe in? Do you insert the probe when you put the meat in and plug into the control unit?

I know it is a crazy newbie question...

At what point do you put the probe in? Do you insert the probe when you put the meat in and plug into the control unit?

Knowing when to pull out is also important.

Last edited:

There are no “crazy newbie question(s);” just questions that need answers.

My procedure is to insert the probe(s) before I put the meat on. Not that it matters, but I usually don’t use the Recteq probes; my go-to is the ThermoWorks Signals unit with up to four probes available. The RT probes are OK, but I find the Signals much easier to get connected via the internet for remote monitoring.

As for when to remove them, I do it when I have no further need for them. Once they tell me what I need to know (usually the desired internal temperature), I pull the meat and remove the probes.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back