New WI 590 Owner

ButtRub

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
After many years of owning a Traeger, my 590 arrived yesterday 9/19/22. Took a bit longer than I anticipated to get it delivered (I ordered it during the labor day sale) but it arrived in great shape and was easy to assemble. I'm really looking forward to this new addition to my patio family - first cook will be tonight. App setup went flawlessly and I had no issues getting notifications on my phone when grill hit the burn-in temp of 400.

The old Traeger is getting a new lease on life up at my buddies place in northern WI. Fan motor is just about dead, but that's a cheap fix with a replacement from Amazon.
I entered the pellet grill world quite a while ago with the Traeger being purchased via craigslist (I feel like it's been 8-10 years or so). It's had a few parts replaced over the years (control board, ignition rod x 2, etc.) but overall it worked great for what I used it for.

I'm very much looking forward to a bit more space on the 590 as well as the better controls, meat probes, and overall better construction. I do all kinds of cooks on the pellet grill, with bbq being one of them. I did not get the sear kit as I have a Weber gasser and Weber kettle on the patio as well (along with a Blackstone, an Ooni pizza oven, and a WSM in the shed). I'm curious about overall smoke flavor on the 590. Traeger was a bit light for my taste and I modified it to add a Smoke Daddy cold smoke generator. I'll give the extreme smoke setting a try on the 590 for the first hour(s) of a low/slow cook. If I need more smoke, I'll probably just get a smoke tube.

Anyway, happy to be here and looking forward to lots of great cooks on the 590.

Welcome aboard! I start my longer cooks low for the smoke and use a smoke tube all the way through.

Congrats on your new Recteq. Welcome to the forum. Great group of people here who always have cooking tips and answer questions you might have. For more smoke flavor you can try putting wood chips directly on top of the heat deflector. I usually use cherry chips for long cooks. And I can taste a difference.

Pellet smoke is pellet smoke. Very mild to almost non existent. I use a smoke tube for more smoke. Welcome to the forum, and from another WI member.

It would be nice if manufacturers would label pellet bags with how much actual flavor wood is in them as opposed to filler. There used to be a couple that claimed 100%, but I haven’t seen any in a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back