New RT-700 Owner from Sacramento, CA

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi Everyone!
Just started cooking on my new RT-700 and enjoying the ease of use, clean up and output. Smoke seems a little light compared to my BGE but this is something that's easy to use with pretty good results. Looking forward to smoking brisket low and slow overnight. If you have any suggestions, pls do share.

Hey @Bull&BGE_Smoker, welcome. I’m in Modesto. I came from drum smoking to the Rec Teq family and thought the same about light smoke. My family and friends prefer the lighter smoke. I’m fine with it but still throw ribs or a tri-tip on the drum every now and then. 98% of the time the ease of the pellet grill is the way I go.
I did my first brisket on the 700 a few weeks ago and it was the best one I have ever done. I put it on at 10:00 pm @200 and let it ride over night. 8:00 am went to 225. We had company coming for dinner and it was in a long stall so I ran the temp up to 250 at about noon. It was all done at 4:00 (202-205 internal temp). I never wrapped and spritzed maybe three or four times. Rested 2 hours and had the juiciest, jiggliest brisket I had ever produced. Here is a picture at the 12 hour mark.
Good luck with however you cook yours, and of course we will need pictures.

Attachments

• D86858BF-6736-457D-8B68-728802CA36B5.jpeg
    D86858BF-6736-457D-8B68-728802CA36B5.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 85
Hey @Bull&BGE_Smoker, welcome. I’m in Modesto. I came from drum smoking to the Rec Teq family and thought the same about light smoke. My family and friends prefer the lighter smoke. I’m fine with it but still throw ribs or a tri-tip on the drum every now and then. 98% of the time the ease of the pellet grill is the way I go.
I did my first brisket on the 700 a few weeks ago and it was the best one I have ever done. I put it on at 10:00 pm @200 and let it ride over night. 8:00 am went to 225. We had company coming for dinner and it was in a long stall so I ran the temp up to 250 at about noon. It was all done at 4:00 (202-205 internal temp). I never wrapped and spritzed maybe three or four times. Rested 2 hours and had the juiciest, jiggliest brisket I had ever produced. Here is a picture at the 12 hour mark.
Good luck with however you cook yours, and of course we will need pictures.

Thanks for sharing. That brisket looks great. Mind sharing what pellets you used?

Welcome! I did my first brisket this weekend on the Bull and it came out near perfect. I mixed up a 1/4 cup of morton's kosher salt and 1/4 cup of brisket pepper (it's ground about the same size as the salt) and dry rubbed the brisket with it. I put probe "A" into the side center of the brisket and set it to alert me when it reached 175 so I'd know when it was out of the stall.
I set the smoker for 275 and put the brisket on when it reached temp (around midnight). I left it alone until 3 am and then starting spritzing with water every hour until 6 am when it looked like the crust was really forming. Then I spritzed every 30 minutes until it broke out of the stall (about 8:30 am). After that, I wrapped it in butcher paper and put it back in. I reset the probe to alert me when it 203.
It was done at 1030. I let it rest for 1.5 hours. It was amazing...
This was a 16lb brisket.

@Bif Hunkly - Appreciate you sharing your recent Brisket cook. I'm really impressed with your willingness to stay up at night to spritz the meat! Looking forward to smoking a brisket this weekend on the Rec Tec and hope it matches or surpasses the brisket I've made on the BGE. Will share results and pics.

@Bif Hunkly - Appreciate you sharing your recent Brisket cook. I'm really impressed with your willingness to stay up at night to spritz the meat! Looking forward to smoking a brisket this weekend on the Rec Tec and hope it matches or surpasses the brisket I've made on the BGE. Will share results and pics.
Yeah, I napped in between. It was kind of a bitch, but the results made it completely worth it. We had so much that I passed it out to the neighbors. Everybody talked about how great the bark was and said the seasonings were perfect - they were surprised when I said it was just salt & pepper.
Good luck with your brisket! I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

It is somewhat amazing that we have all become grill insomniacs. I thought I was done with that when the kids got out of diapers. For any of you that need assistance waking up, I have found that the Taylor four channel timer is relatively inexpensive and hard to sleep through. You can set each time separately and annotate the reason for waking up for those of us that are extra groggy or have selective amnesia when we awake. Here is a picture of the device and it can be found on Amazon for under $10.

Attachments

• 1601516594696.jpeg
    1601516594696.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 54
Welcome from the Bay Area.

I'll be doing my first brisket ever, this weekend.
16 lb before trimming
Dry brine 24 hrs
Broth injection
Dry rub
Smoke all night at 225
Wrap at the stall
Pull at 203 / jiggle / probe poke test
Rest and eat

What do you think about separating the point and flat to cook separate? Or just leave it one piece?

Last edited:
Asked one of the guys at the office who does a lot of competition BBQ. He says works well either way. When he competes he often separates as he feels he gets better outcome for burnt ends on the point. When he keeps them together he is a bit more aggressive on trimming fat between the two pieces. I have only done flats myself.

I used to have to cut the Briskets because my BGE couldnt fit the entire piece and therefore have only a flat I am cooking with this weekend. Sometimes i would put a drip pan with 1/2" water under the grate and that would keep the cook moist. Never heard of spritzing until I got the pellet grill. Anyone ever try the drip pan idea?

The recteq crew posted a video about a week ago of making pulled brisket, with the brisket cooked over the drip pan and then pulled in the au jus mix they had in the pan. The brisket they prepared on camera was a flat, but the one they had already cooked to show the pull looked like it might be a point.

Anyway, I made it last weekend using a 10.5# flat and it was amazing, just shake my head I can’t believe it’s this good amazing. The only thing I did differently was they cooked at 300*, I went with my proven temp of 250*. I’d stopped buying full packers since the kids left home, but I think next weekend I’ll pick up a packer, cut the point off to cook for pulled brisket, and freeze the flat to smoke later as normal.

They filmed other brisket episodes that same week, so it’s worth a look for the brisket lover.

I smoked my brisket Flat on the Bull and it was a complete failure!
  1. Trimmed the flat down to 1/4" fat layer
  2. Started at 12am 225 degrees (Montreal Seasoning & Garlic Salt) and added a smoke tube with Apple Wood Chips
  3. At 6am started spritzing hourly
  4. It stalled at 155 and i wrapped with foil, added 1/2 cup chicken broth
  5. Turned up the temp to 275 and removed it at 204 internal temp.
  6. Let it rest covered in a cooler for 1 hour.
You can see in the photo it was overcooked and dry despite having a nice bark and smoke ring.

Attachments

• Bull_Brisket_Flat_10-2-20.jpg
    Bull_Brisket_Flat_10-2-20.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 70
That's okay. My flat end came out dry also. The point was amazing though. I'm on here looking for some ideas for burnt ends, chopped meat, or whatever recipes.

Cooked mine at 225. Took 13 hrs for the point to reach 204. The flat was past that.

Still fun, and learning things.

Are you guys probing for tenderness or strictly cooking to temperature?

@Bull&BGE_Smoker I would recommend you only use temperature to get in the ballpark. At 195-200 start probing the flat in the thickest part until you probe goes in likes it’s in room temperature butter. Even though it was dry it doesn’t look like it was falling apart. When mine have been dry it has always been because I undercooked it. Sad to say it has happened more than once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back