New RT-700 ordered thanks to these forums!

eric_jk

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
After himming and hawing for about two years, I finally pulled the trigger on the RT-700. After seeing the black friday sale, I just couldn't pass that up since they never go on sale. I got the front shelf, grill grates, and cover. Are there any other "must have" accessories I should consider?

I originally thought I wanted a Traeger until a friend of mine told me to check out Recteq. I'm glad I did! I was originally going to go with the RT-590 but it seemed like I would regret it down the road. I just have a family of 4 and rarely host gatherings, but I figured I would rather have the tools available when I need them, then not have them at all. The other eye opening perspective was that the RT-700 is not that big, when you compare it to a gasser, my old 3 burner weber genesis was still wider than the RT-700.

This is my first pellet smoker and first time switching from a gas grill. What would you all recommend for the inaugural grill?

Good thing your friend steered you around the Traeger.. All brands have nuances but you will be way ahead of the game with the RecTeq.. I'll just leave my thoughts there on that subject.

The 700 is a good choice but if you are adding accessories the 1250 gets a lot tighter in choice. Higher temps & faster heat is one big bonus.

Anything greasy for the 1st cook is good to coat the inside but I would do what you want. You will have plenty of opportunity to spew grease all over the inside over time :)..

Congrats & enjoy! Pics please!

Welcome!

Welcome, over two years ago I went form a BGE to the Bull. Haven't looked back once. You are going to love this grill/smoker. RT suggests chicken for the first cook. Thats what I did.

To save you from ruining your meal, make sure to search up on the notification issues RecTeq is known for. As in, you won't get any. You'll likely want to invest in a nice 3rd party wireless thermostat s/u to negate RecTeq's lack of concern for their customer's experience going on nearly a year now.

To save you from ruining your meal, make sure to search up on the notification issues RecTeq is known for. As in, you won't get any. You'll likely want to invest in a nice 3rd party wireless thermostat s/u to negate RecTeq's lack of concern for their customer's experience going on nearly a year now.
Unfortunately, based on all the research I've done, it seems like most pellet grill manufacturers don't invest enough resources on their app. Every company seems to have issues with it. It really wasn't the selling point for me anyways, hardware reliablity and build quality were my top considerations. I'd like this grill to last me at least 10 years, anything past that would be gravy.

Welcome, over two years ago I went form a BGE to the Bull. Haven't looked back once. You are going to love this grill/smoker. RT suggests chicken for the first cook. Thats what I did.
I bought a Kamado Joe last week on a whim because it was on a killer sale. It still hasn't arrived yet, but now that I have the RT-700 coming, it's probably going to go right back to the store.

Congrats. A bigger grill is always a better bet.

Well that spiraled quickly. I went down a rabbit hole after making my purchase and decided to cancel my RT-700 order and get the 1250. It wasn't that much more considering I ordered the front shelf with the RT-700 and it doesn't seem like I'll need the searing kit.

Well that spiraled quickly. I went down a rabbit hole after making my purchase and decided to cancel my RT-700 order and get the 1250. It wasn't that much more considering I ordered the front shelf with the RT-700 and it doesn't seem like I'll need the searing kit.
You sure you don't want the trailer option? I think it has 3x 1250's and a couple 700's too. :D ;)

When it arrives and if the box shows ANY kind of damage open it up while the UPS person is there. Their warehousemen take the boxes as a challenge. Mine was in a truck rollover and the only damage was the tray that sits between the legs was tweaked a little but I was able to straighten it myself.

Over the past two years, I have been using a WSM and have learned alot about BBQ. However, there is a significant amount of set-up and monitoring necessary to effectively run a burn cycle on the WSM. After some learning curve, I have been able to achieve some pretty good results. Similar to you, I have been researching pellet grills and my neighbor suggested I take look at RT. I purchased the RT-590 and have been loving it. I have done chicken, pork ribs, appetizers (tx twinkies and armadillo eggs) and smoked salmon and trout - - all with very good results and significantly less effort in the form of set-up and monitoring temps. This week will be pork butt, some more ribs and some chicken wings. Over the holidays I plan on some beef ribs and prime rib. Welcome and enjoy the RT!!!

You sure you don't want the trailer option? I think it has 3x 1250's and a couple 700's too. :D ;)
Not gonna lie, I have a little buyers remorse from blowing past my original budget. I was originally thinking the RT-590 would be good enough for me, but my friend convinced me to spend the extra on the RT-700. Easy how things can escalate so quickly. This is my first smoker, so I’m hoping it doesn’t end up like the expensive treadmill that doesn’t get used.

Not gonna lie, I have a little buyers remorse from blowing past my original budget. I was originally thinking the RT-590 would be good enough for me, but my friend convinced me to spend the extra on the RT-700. Easy how things can escalate so quickly. This is my first smoker, so I’m hoping it doesn’t end up like the expensive treadmill that doesn’t get used.
I can pretty much tell you that has never been the case from anyone I've came across. But I tell you what, if that 1250 goes unused, you be sure to let me know. :D

You made a good decision. I bought our 700 with accessories last year. It gets lots of use, and we love it. If the 1250 was available back then, I would have that one. Like you, build quality was important to me. The app fits my needs even with spotty notifications. The probes work fine and provide pretty accurate readings that update consistently. That is plenty good for me. Results have been excellent and we have fun using the smoker. No regrets.

You made a good decision. I bought our 700 with accessories last year. It gets lots of use, and we love it. If the 1250 was available back then, I would have that one. Like you, build quality was important to me. The app fits my needs even with spotty notifications. The probes work fine and provide pretty accurate readings that update consistently. That is plenty good for me. Results have been excellent and we have fun using the smoker. No regrets.thank
Thanks for the reassurance, after all the accessories I added to the RT-700, I was halfway there, so it seemed to make the most sense. I need to keep telling myself that this is gonna last me hopefully at least 10 years, so the cost/year is marginal. That being said, I haven’t told my wife yet, she still thinks I’m getting the RT-590.

Thanks for the reassurance, after all the accessories I added to the RT-700, I was halfway there, so it seemed to make the most sense. I need to keep telling myself that this is gonna last me hopefully at least 10 years, so the cost/year is marginal. That being said, I haven’t told my wife yet, she still thinks I’m getting the R
I went through a similar process. I initially was going to purchase the RT-590, but realized that I would not be able to add a smokebox when it's back in stock and figured it's better to have more space than not. Therefore, I purchased the RT-700, but canceled it the next day after realizing the RT-1250 was the upgraded model. I ended up spending $679.14 more than my original budget. I am thankful that my wife encouraged that I get the more expensive one .

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back