new RT-590 Owner Michigan

edmoiler13

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just received my grill yesterday and assembled it. This is my first pellet grill and am looking forward to getting it cooking today after my initial burnoff. I have plenty of experience using a standard Weber propane grill and cabinet style smoker running off propane so I know there will be a learning curve to work thru with this. My dad loves his Traeger, but I after doing my research, I felt this was the one for me. I still need to get a welding blanket as I plan on using this all thru the cold winters.

Few questions I have that I hope some of you pros can answer for me

Do you always leave it plugged in or just when you're going to use it. Wasn't sure if there is some start up thing you need to do when plugging it in and powering it on each time as I know on some of the longer cooks, I'll be having other family members fire it up before I get home and then can monitor it using the app.

How hard is it to update the firmware? I have heard there was a auger issue that was sorted out with a firmware update.

How many hours does a 40 pound bag of pellets typically get? Any other brands of pellets that are suggested? I know 100% hardwood, but I'm used to using chips in my cabinet so this is new to me. Also do you feel a smoke tube is essential or more of a taste thing?

Thanks in advance

Do you always leave it plugged in or just when you're going to use it…
IMO, that depends on if you are putting a cover on it or not. The grill will be fine if left plugged in, but I‘m not comfortable having a cover on a grill that can be started remotely. I’m not that trusting of the technology.

IMO, that depends on if you are putting a cover on it or not. The grill will be fine if left plugged in, but I‘m not comfortable having a cover on a grill that can be started remotely. I’m not that trusting of the technology.
good point. Part of my concern on leaving it plugged in. The cover is a tight fit getting it on and I do like the straps around the legs at the bottom. Time will tell on how well it stands up to the environment. I know my Weber covers lasted 5 years but I would add armorall to them twice a year

I leave mine plugged it...but, it's in my shop out behind the house...never out in the elements. I simply raise the big door and fire it up using the app.

I leave mine plugged in on a deck with a roof over it. No problems without a blanket in Kansas winter.

I leave mine unplugged that way there are never any worries or issues about starting up. Besides how hard is it just reach over and plug it in?

Congrats on the new grill!

I almost always leave mine plugged in. If I unplug it to move it or wash it I’ll leave it unplugged until the next use. Then I just plug it in and wait a few seconds for the WiFi light to come on and it’s ready to go.

I’m not sure how firmware upgrades go as I have an older model that doesn’t have that option. Hopefully someone with the newer controller will help you with that.

Pellet use depends on the temp you are cooking and the ambient temp you are cooking in. 500 degree pizza cook in January will burn significantly more pellets than a 225 degree brisket cook in August. A 20 lb. bag of pellets should get you through almost any low and slow cook. On my RT700 I could do two, maybe three long brisket cooks on a full hopper (40 lbs.)

Lumberjack and Bear Mountain are my two favorite brands. Try what is locally available and priced right until you find what you like. I shoot for the 50 cents a pound range. I use Bear Mountain 90% of the time because they are cheaper and more readily available around me. As far as a smoke tube my recommendation is to give the grill a try and if you feel you need more smoke try a tube. I have one but don’t use it very often.

Enjoy the grill.

first cook of chicken thighs turned out delicious and cooked faster than I expected them to. Today I'm doing a chuck roast

been using mine a lot more than I originally thought I would. I really love how easy it is to cook on.

It's now below freezing where I'm at so I'm about to pull the trigger on a welding blanket at harbor Freight. Any advice on how it all works out? I've read when cooking on high to take it off or risk melting it to the exterior. Also do I cut openings around where the vents are on the back of the grill?

Next up is finding a better cover. The one Recteq sold me already faded in less than two months and is going to be too tight for a welding blanket. I'm not looking to break the bank, but at the same time I don't want something that will only last me a season before falling apart or blowing away.

thanks in advance fellow grillers

Just a quick note, your staXpede probably won’t work on Saturday:)

Seriously though, I bought a black felt welding blanket from AXazon and cut holes out for the vents and horns. Use it all winter long. Once outside teXp is above 40 I don’t use.

been using mine a lot more than I originally thought I would. I really love how easy it is to cook on.

It's now below freezing where I'm at so I'm about to pull the trigger on a welding blanket at harbor Freight. Any advice on how it all works out? I've read when cooking on high to take it off or risk melting it to the exterior. Also do I cut openings around where the vents are on the back of the grill?

Next up is finding a better cover. The one Recteq sold me already faded in less than two months and is going to be too tight for a welding blanket. I'm not looking to break the bank, but at the same time I don't want something that will only last me a season before falling apart or blowing away.

thanks in advance fellow grillers
I would not use a blanket on the 590 because the vent holes need to be exposed, and so if you use a blanket, you will have to avoid covering that area. Tough to do. I did so with the old 590 by cutting out holes for the 4 vents, but it was sloppy and difficult to maintain. Personally, the 590 can maintain heat in cold weather without the blanket. Pellet use may be higher, but not a big deal. Would be different if 590 had an old fashioned chimney. Also, the cheap welding blankets are made of loosely woven fiberglass. They shed those fibers all over the place. It will get on, and into the 590 and can get into the food. You do not want to swallow fiberglass. I cook in freezing weather all the time without problems.
Also, unless there is some need to do so, I would not leave the electric plugged in when not it use.

I would not use a blanket on the 590 because the vent holes need to be exposed, and so if you use a blanket, you will have to avoid covering that area. Tough to do. I did so with the old 590 by cutting out holes for the 4 vents, but it was sloppy and difficult to maintain. Personally, the 590 can maintain heat in cold weather without the blanket. Pellet use may be higher, but not a big deal. Would be different if 590 had an old fashioned chimney. Also, the cheap welding blankets are made of loosely woven fiberglass. They shed those fibers all over the place. It will get on, and into the 590 and can get into the food. You do not want to swallow fiberglass. I cook in freezing weather all the time without problems.
Also, unless there is some need to do so, I would not leave the electric plugged in when not it use.
thanks much. I definitely do not keep it plugged in when not using.

Thank you, bought a blanket but was wondering about keeping the edges from fraying. You addressed my concerns

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back