New RT-340

Paulnc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
My new RT-340 just arrived this afternoon. I am a neophyte with pellet grills and have never owned any grill other than a cheapo propane grill from Fred Meyer. Along with the grill, I purchased the sear kit and the mesh cooking sheet. I know I need to get an instant read thermometer, some big tongs, a big metal spatula and grill brush. Anything else anybody would recommend? I'll be cooking pretty much just for myself and sticking to mostly just meats.

Any other tips or directions on where to go to learn more would be greatly appreciated.

One final specific question: how far from a wall should the 340 be? I have a small back yard and want to put it in a convenient place, but also not have the house burn down.

Thanks everyone.

My new RT-340 just arrived this afternoon. I am a neophyte with pellet grills and have never owned any grill other than a cheapo propane grill from Fred Meyer. Along with the grill, I purchased the sear kit and the mesh cooking sheet. I know I need to get an instant read thermometer, some big tongs, a big metal spatula and grill brush. Anything else anybody would recommend? I'll be cooking pretty much just for myself and sticking to mostly just meats.

Any other tips or directions on where to go to learn more would be greatly appreciated.

One final specific question: how far from a wall should the 340 be? I have a small back yard and want to put it in a convenient place, but also not have the house burn down.

Thanks everyone.
Welcome and congrats on the your new RT-340 Trailblazer.
This is the manual with the recommended 60 inch clearances.
https://5004282.app.netsuite.com/c.5004282/SSP Applications/NetSuite Inc. - SCS/SuiteCommerce Standard/manuals/Trailblazer(RT-340)manual.pdf

Vacuum for the ash, heat resistant gloves, 3rd party wifi thermometer. HD 18" aluminum foil, basting brush, spray bottle, flexible boning knife, something to grind pepper, shakers for spices, and maybe pink butchers paper. I use cheap thin cotton gloves under Nitrile gloves for pulling pork and such.

My grill is about 4' from a vinyl fence, hasn't melted it yet.

@Paulnc Welcome. You definitely want an instant read thermometer. Take a look at these. They may be all you need for working with hot meat rather than tongs and spatulas.

Enjoy your 340!

Start cooking and learn how that thing works and, pretty much all of the above.

Most importantly however...
Beer.jpg

Vacuum for the ash, heat resistant gloves, 3rd party wifi thermometer. HD 18" aluminum foil, basting brush, spray bottle, flexible boning knife, something to grind pepper, shakers for spices, and maybe pink butchers paper. I use cheap thin cotton gloves under Nitrile gloves for pulling pork and such.

My grill is about 4' from a vinyl fence, hasn't melted it yet.
Great. Thank you. Why do you recommend a third party thermometer? Is the Recteq's not very accurate? I'm assuming that the Recteq app would show the temperature in the grill as well as what it's set for. Am I wrong on this? Thanks again.

Great. Thank you. Why do you recommend a third party thermometer? Is the Recteq's not very accurate? I'm assuming that the Recteq app would show the temperature in the grill as well as what it's set for. Am I wrong on this? Thanks again.

There is a software adjustment for the RT probes, you need a known good thermometer to set that correctly.

FWIW, my RT probes were only off a couple degrees, probably not enough to cause an issue. I did adjust the grills ambient probe to match what the center of the grill is as opposed to the left side, something like 5-10 degrees. A few couple times when cook times are not what I've expected I use the 3rd party probe to check the grill.

You can get this later if you feel a need, I'm sure many never do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back