New Router

Based on a single isolated incident, I'm still not willing to give the crown for network security to ASUS. Not even close.

Spoiler alert, ASUS doesn't even try. They made up something called AiProtetion to try to mask the fact that their firmware still basically doesn't support this.

Personally, I wouldn't give Ubiquiti the crown either. If you want to secure your network, there are much better products/software to do that.

ASUS didn't make up AiProtection. They made an agreement with Trend Micro (who developed it) to access it. You either get AiProtection, or AiProtection Pro and the license is good for the life of the router. Is it the end all of security? Of course not. It's just another tool to help protect your network.

Ubiquiti lost my support when they tried covering up the breach in their database. Thanks to a whistleblower the truth was revealed. That being said, any network without a cyber security team monitoring it 24/7 is at risk. Buy your consumer grade router and be done with it.
I agree. If a true hacker wants to break into your system, he/she most likely can do it.

I agree. If a true hacker wants to break into your system, he/she most likely can do it.

Right, and that applies to systems that have 24/7 monitoring services too. I say this as someone who's worked for a managed security provider, providing these exact services. FW rule management, IDS/IPS monitoring, etc.

This attitude is exactly why consumer brands put next to no effort into their security provisions. Just enough to meet minimum standards because nobody cares about security... all they care about is their "WiFi's & megabits" which is the wrong thing to be shopping for. Consumer brands invest resources and market to the features that the average consumer wants.

Hell, the average consumer runs default logins/passwords which means it doesn't even require a "hacker" to access their network and everything within. Most of the time you see someone was "hacked" it's likely because they did this or gave their logins to someone else or saved them someplace not secured. They blame "hackers" because it makes them look less stupid. The reality is that most times it was operator error.

For me, I value security not because the best hacker in the world can get into anything but because the other 3.4 million "hackers" could be the high school kid next door who sees your network and wants to gain access for funsies. That is the most likely threat if you have a unique secure login that you don't share with anyone or save anywhere.

Not taking steps to protect yourself from the most likely threat because "if someone wants to get in bad enough, they will" is defeatist and leaving yourself vulnerable to just about anyone who's bored.

But you do what you want.

I assume you are a multi-millionaire that requires military grade encryption and corporate level security on his home network. 😂

Fact is, 99.99999999% of hackers are not going to waste their time hacking your home network. Folks that are just "bored" do not have the knowledge, time, or equipment to break AES encryption.

You can secure your data however you wish, but chances are they already have your data due to corporate breeches elsewhere.

Perhaps it is your nuclear bunker network that is causing the issues you have with the app? 🤔

Last edited:
I assume you are a multi-millionaire that requires military grade encryption and corporate level security on his home network. 😂

Fact is, 99.99999999% of hackers are not going to waste their time hacking your home network.

You can secure your data however you wish, but chances are they already have your data due to corporate breeches elsewhere.

Perhaps it is your nuclear bunker network that is causing the issues you have with the app? 🤔
Not even sure where to start with addressing all of the inaccuracies of this post or wild assumptions about me or my personal information so I'm not even going to bother.

Not even sure where to start with addressing all of the inaccuracies of this post or wild assumptions about me or my personal information so I'm not even going to bother.
Obviously you missed my sarcasm, though I did leave hints and layed it on pretty thick. 😜

Last edited:
This attitude is exactly why consumer brands put next to no effort into their security provisions. Just enough to meet minimum standards because nobody cares about security... all they care about is their "WiFi's & megabits" which is the wrong thing to be shopping for.

If they start caring about security features, and offer them as marketing bullet points, it'll have a negative impact on their throughput/mbps numbers. Packet inspection is more CPU intensive than just routing and switching packets.

If they start caring about security features, and offer them as marketing bullet points, it'll have a negative impact on their throughput/mbps numbers. Packet inspection is more CPU intensive than just routing and switching packets.
Which makes my point for me. Sure, you can have a car cheaper and faster if you strip every single safety feature out of it and just fly by the seat of your pants but nobody shops for cars in this fashion. The fact that they don't seem to care about the similar sacrifices when it comes to their network security is exactly why so many "hacks" happen.

People should take protecting their sensitive data more seriously than they do. Especially when you're talking the difference between a better "deadbolt" being like a hundred bucks give or take. Not sure about you but if someone gains access to my network and ALL of my data therein I'm going to burn through that c-note I saved in a hurry based on my time trying to put out all of the fires created as a result.

People should value security more which requires more hardware and cleaner software to run all of that at speed which also increases the price. When people compare some consumer-grade all-in-one wireless router favorably to a dedicated gateway/firewall/ap solution with actual security features in place and updated constantly to quickly neutralize threat vectors in conversations like this on meat smoking forums it's difficult to take them serious.

I encrypt all my data. If they can get trough the network encryption AND the drive encryption....they can have it.

I am in the market for a new router or mesh system for my home wifi. I know that we have some techy networking people in this forum so I figured I would reach out and see what some people are recommending for a new system.
While I have a leaning towards NetGear products, the most important thing for you to consider is security. I’m a cyber guy with over 40 years of experience. Security is the #1 issue in my opinion. And don’t be fooled by all the hype on speed. At the end of the day, you’re limited by the speed of the line feeding your home. You can have 100G on your home network but it’s still going to chocks at that 20Mbps feed you’re getting. Maybe you’ve upgraded to 100M-200M service. That’s good.

Here’s my advice on security:
Here is a list of the security protocols ranked from the most secure to least secure:

1. WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) – Most secure option, but not available on most routers
  2. WPA2-PSK (AES) – Most secure option for most routers
  3. WPA2-PSK (TKIP) – Still usable, minimal security
  4. WPA-PSK (AES) – Still usable, minimal security
  5. WPA-PSK (TKIP) – Not very secure
  6. WEP 128 – Risky
  7. WEP 64 – Highly risky
  8. Open network or no passcode at all – No security
WPA2 and AES are the best settings to secure your Wi-Fi connection from hackers. If hackers are able to breach your network, they could steal important information, like bank details, or even your identity.

Using an open network means you won’t have a password, so anyone can have access to your Wi-Fi and all the devices on your network.

Make sure to buy a router with the highest level of security possible. Now that you know why WPA2 is the most secure, apply it to your router for improved protection of your online information.

WPA2 and AES are the best settings to secure your Wi-Fi connection from hackers. If hackers are able to breach your network, they could steal important information, like bank details, or even your identity.

WPA3 has been around for a few years and isn't fundamentally flawed (KRACK) like WPA2 and older versions. When available, it should be used.

If you enable it in your network, you may have to "forget" your SSID on the end device and rejoin it, before it'll start using WPA3.

This attitude is exactly why consumer brands put next to no effort into their security provisions. Just enough to meet minimum standards because nobody cares about security... all they care about is their "WiFi's & megabits" which is the wrong thing to be shopping for. Consumer brands invest resources and market to the features that the average consumer wants.

Hell, the average consumer runs default logins/passwords which means it doesn't even require a "hacker" to access their network and everything within. Most of the time you see someone was "hacked" it's likely because they did this or gave their logins to someone else or saved them someplace not secured. They blame "hackers" because it makes them look less stupid. The reality is that most times it was operator error.

For me, I value security not because the best hacker in the world can get into anything but because the other 3.4 million "hackers" could be the high school kid next door who sees your network and wants to gain access for funsies. That is the most likely threat if you have a unique secure login that you don't share with anyone or save anywhere.

Not taking steps to protect yourself from the most likely threat because "if someone wants to get in bad enough, they will" is defeatist and leaving yourself vulnerable to just about anyone who's bored.

But you do what you want.
Thank you!!! I will do exactly what I want and no more.

Fact is, 99.99999999% of hackers are not going to waste their time hacking your home network. Folks that are just "bored" do not have the knowledge, time, or equipment to break AES encryption.

The corporate breeches is the bad part. I just got informed a week ago that the government agency that provided my vaccinations was breached. So whatever medical data they had on the 100k+ people they vaccinated is now out there somewhere.

Just got an email from Netgear that their new 6E Orbi was up for pre-order. $1500!!!! I would love to know how many they sell at this price. I griped for days when I paid $300 for my current Orbi system.

I did notice on the new orbi 6E they now have as a selling point that you can give the 2.4ghz band its own SSID. They make it sound like it is something special for this router. My old 6 year old router does that.

I do like the fact it has a 10G WAN port and a 2.5G LAN port. I never understood why these routers tout 2.5G but they only have a 2.5G WAN port and all the LAN ports are 1g.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back