Bullseye New recTeq runs a little hot..

Beefybuds69

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hey folks, after half dozen uses I’ve noticed that with an alternate probe on the grate surface that I’m running a little hot, if my setting is 225 my temp will vary from 240-250ish I’ve compensated by adjusting the temp to lower setting. This isn’t a bitch about my new bullseye because I’m already in love with it, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Could this be a pellet brand issue..?

a-little-hot.gif

There are some good videos from RT that show how/why to do various adjustments to the controller.

Hey folks, after half dozen uses I’ve noticed that with an alternate probe on the grate surface that I’m running a little hot, if my setting is 225 my temp will vary from 240-250ish I’ve compensated by adjusting the temp to lower setting. This isn’t a bitch about my new bullseye because I’m already in love with it, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Could this be a pellet brand issue..?
It runs hot. Mine is the same. I’m working on different techniques but. I love the grill

I’ve also noticed a sizable difference between a third-party probe vs. the RT actual temp. display vs. the RT meat temp. probe. vs. the temperature setting. I called recteq and here’s a summary of what I was told (not sure I’m buying it): Don’t compare the meat thermometer or a third-party thermometer to the actual temperature probe. They apparently use an algorithm w/ the actual temp probe to determine the displayed “actual” temp. The controller does keep the actual temperature displayed very close to the set temperature. They said to do some further experiments at different temperatures and get back to them if I still had any questions or concerns.

My problem is this idea of not using a third-party probe to measure actual ambient temperature. My cooks are definitely going faster than expected so I’m inclined to go with the third-party probe temperature versus what the controller actual temp is using. I think you can adjust the calibration point for of the actual temp. I was told that was possible, but that nobody at recteq ever adjusts theirs.

I’ve read other people have had temperature accuracy issues, but it’s not clear to me that there is a single type of problem. I’m curious to know what other people have encountered.

I’ve also noticed a sizable difference between a third-party probe vs. the RT actual temp. display vs. the RT meat temp. probe. vs. the temperature setting. I called recteq and here’s a summary of what I was told (not sure I’m buying it): Don’t compare the meat thermometer or a third-party thermometer to the actual temperature probe. They apparently use an algorithm w/ the actual temp probe to determine the displayed “actual” temp. The controller does keep the actual temperature displayed very close to the set temperature. They said to do some further experiments at different temperatures and get back to them if I still had any questions or concerns.

My problem is this idea of not using a third-party probe to measure actual ambient temperature. My cooks are definitely going faster than expected so I’m inclined to go with the third-party probe temperature versus what the controller actual temp is using. I think you can adjust the calibration point for of the actual temp. I was told that was possible, but that nobody at recteq ever adjusts theirs.

I’ve read other people have had temperature accuracy issues, but it’s not clear to me that there is a single type of problem. I’m curious to know what other people have encountered.
I use the temp setting on the Bullseye to get 'in the same state (Texas or Alaska sized state) as the temp I want then use my Thermoworks probes to know what the actual temp is. Recteq has made it clear they don't care much about accuracy of temp readings with the Bullseye line.

I use the temp setting on the Bullseye to get 'in the same state (Texas or Alaska sized state) as the temp I want then use my Thermoworks probes to know what the actual temp is. Recteq has made it clear they don't care much about accuracy of temp readings with the Bullseye line.
^^^^^I must agree^^^^^

I have the exact same problem with the 1250. It is interesting the RT's displayed ambient temperature hardly ever changes more than a couple of degrees but using Thermoworks x-smoke shows the grate temperature varies by 15-25+ degrees during the entire cook. It also show's the ambient temperature averages 15 degrees hotter that the RT PID displays. Easy enough to adjust with the app.

I have a Traeger Texas with a Savannah Stoker V3 PID controller and it is a lot better controlling the grill ambient temperature keeping it within 5-10 degrees of the set temperature.

The probes as they are called are actually a thermocouple and they work by changing electrical resistance with higher or lower temperature and sending that value back to the controller. The controller converts that value into a temperature readout on the screen. That conversion can be adjusted with an offset to give a accurate readout on the screen. Having worked in the plastics industry for many year’s, I was taught to boil a small amount of water and put the end of the probe in that boiling can or pot and it should read 212 degrees at sea level. Living in Florida that’s close enough for me. This should be done at the factory but it’s obviously not. I think the main thing is that both probes and the ambient temperature readout should be the same. If it’s off a few degrees from the actual temperature it’s really not that big of a deal to me.

The probes as they are called are actually a thermocouple and they work by changing electrical resistance with higher or lower temperature and sending that value back to the controller. The controller converts that value into a temperature readout on the screen. That conversion can be adjusted with an offset to give a accurate readout on the screen. Having worked in the plastics industry for many year’s, I was taught to boil a small amount of water and put the end of the probe in that boiling can or pot and it should read 212 degrees at sea level. Living in Florida that’s close enough for me. This should be done at the factory but it’s obviously not. I think the main thing is that both probes and the ambient temperature readout should be the same. If it’s off a few degrees from the actual temperature it’s really not that big of a deal to me.
Agreed a few degrees variance isn't that big of a deal. With the Bullseye it's not uncommon for the variance to be a few hundred degrees high or low.

My bullseye seems to run quite hot. I have it on LO right now and the thermopro says its 247 in the grill. I had some chops and wings at 225 yesterday and it burned them to a crisp in 90 min. How do I lower the temp for Low and Slow cookign? Is it better to adjust the speed of the auger feed or recalibrate the thermocouple for the PID controller? The probe for the meat was completely inaccurate. Now it's up to 270 in the grill.

The auger speed is constant, although one can adjust the feed rate (The on/off cycles of the auger). You should start by checking if the temps are still off at higher settings on the grill. If so, change the offset setting. if the temps are close to accurate at higher temps, try lowering the feed rate. recteq has videos and instructions available to show you how to do either one.

Now that I’ve discussed the how-to, let me say that the Bullseye is not the best option for low and slow cooks on LO nor is low and slow cooks the best option for lean cuts of meat on any grill. Chops and wings will generally, and I say generally because folks will mention the exceptions, turn out best when grilled at 275*-300* or higher. The sub-275* cooks are generally regarded as best for the fatty cooks that need extra time and low temps to render the fat and make the meat tender. YMMV

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back