New recteq app is out

I love the 24 hour temperature history and the zoom capability. I was always forgetting to check my cook profile before I turned off the grill. Now, it is persistent until tomorrow. So, I can check things out after eating. Really nice.

Looks nice, but it wouldn’t update the probe temps throughout unless I closed the app ( double click and then swipe up) and restarted it each time.

i have the the IOS version.

Just to add to the thread...as I type this I am running the new app version on an iPhone with my RT-680. I haven't tried it on my iPad yet.

I had a rib cook already scheduled for today and opened the new app this morning and went for it. We all have varying preferences but I like it. I like the slider temp settings control much better the the old + and - buttons. Very clean and nice look, I like the darker background. The probes temp control and alert settings stymied me for a bit....I was used to the old fixed display screen and couldn't find it...but then figured out if you don't have a probe plugged in it doesn't show anything and clutter up the display. Good idea. It is a Sunday and lots of folks are at their smokers but I've had no problems with alerts so far. I was a little slow figuring the set temp slider sensitivity and was a bit slow so I got the usual multiple alerts on "heating to" as I kept changing the set temp, but once I got my technique down the alerts settled down too.

As others have mentioned the temperature history graph works well. It defaults to a near 24 hr "X" axis which was bothersome, but then I tried the pinch and zoom technique and I quickly got it the way I like it. Pic attached. Also as others have said it seems you cannot leave it on the temperature history chart, put your phone to sleep and come back in an hour and expect an updated chart. Just toggle back to the main screen and re-select the history chart to get the latest info.So the app is recording the updating data but the display needs to be refreshed to see it. If I remember correctly the old version did the same but this is perfectly fine for me.

I personally like that the newest and most current temperature information displayed at the right side of the screen as time moves forward. Easy to pinch and zoom to compress it and look at a whole overnight smoke on one screen if you want, then go back to an expanded view of the more current readings.

So in the pic attached you can see the depiction and it works for me. The initial set point of 300º was in memory and historic from the last cook under the old app. I turned the grill on and set it to 200º just playing with the slider. After a bit I opened the grill to give the grates a scrub...you can see the temp loss, and then I remembered "ribs" and used the slider to change the set point to 225º. I overshot and went to 235º still refining my use of the slider and the history grabbed that.

I then decided to test the probe readings and since I was cooking ribs I decided to just test the probe and hang it off the horns in the Arizona sun and set a target point of 205º. As soon as it registered the Probe A current info showed up on the home screen and the probe settings popped up on the history chart. The probe functionality worked perfectly displaying a consistent ambient air temp of just over 100º until I removed it to get it out of the way. That's why the funny probe history graph is the way it is. When I unplugged the probe I got an alert that it was unplugged.

So to me this is a nice improvement and I like the look and feel of the interface. Will have to keep an eye on the alerts and see if they are more reliable on busy days, but so far on a Sunday afternoon cook it is working fine.

Attachments

• RecTeqApp.jpeg
    RecTeqApp.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 94
Can confirm, received 1.7.0 the other day and then about 24-hrs or so later received 1.7.1 as well. No visible changes so must be a hotfix for bug(s). Android device.

Still waiting for v2.0 that the iPhone users got. In my experience this is the reverse generally with how the two entities approve/publish updates from devs.

Nothing of real importance with this post, just adding data points with this thread.
iOS typically has a longer review of the app than Android does. If they released to the stores at the same time, iOS often takes longer. They could also be doing a roll-out. Android lets you customize how you want it released to users and iOS has preset percentages.

Yesterday I did baby backs for 6 hours. Temps on app would not update without rebooting app. I will use the Fireboard 2 which is more reliable and provides a more truthful picture of temp fluctuations. Looks can be deceiving and from my observations, RT still ain't in Fireboard's league.

I am using the new app. right now for some ribs for later today. Seems to be doing just as well as the old app. It just seems to be set up a little different. I had to delete my old app first then download the new one.

Yesterday I did baby backs for 6 hours. Temps on app would not update without rebooting app. I will use the Fireboard 2 which is more reliable and provides a more truthful picture of temp fluctuations. Looks can be deceiving and from my observations, RT still ain't in Fireboard's league.
Fireboard 2 here also. Great product.

How is it a company as good as Req-Tec with great products and customer service has an app that is such an Achilles Heel? Boggles my mind...

Glad I kept my maverick temp setup until or if they ever correct.

Yeah, I have a Weber iGrill 2 that I use more often that the RT probes. Accurate, but it's bluetooth, so range can be an issue, but it reconnects without issue once back in range.

I used the new release (v2.0.2 Build 731) and it finally tracks cooks longer than 8 hours consistently. (The previous version would time out and generate an error for my longer cooks, even if I changed the polling times.) Another “feature” I like is tracking my connection from the time I plug the RT700 in until it is unplugged. My only concern is that I can’t export my data profiles any longer. Everything seems steady but it’s a pain in the butt to capture my data one screen shot/section at a time or to ’shrink’ the cook to a single screen that doesn’t give me adequate resolution to see the details. Maybe I‘m spoiled but even my inbird iBBQ-4T allows export of an entire cook into a .csv file for use in Excel or Numbers with no problem. If anyone has figured out where they hid the export button, please share you knowledge. Here are a couple of screen shots from a ~13 hour brisket cook from yesterday.
1629062309563.png

1629062362430.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back