New Rec Tec 340 is overheating

Smoked Turnip

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Brand new smoker here. I just got my new 340 and I’m smoking my inaugural Boston Butt. Smoking at 225 but I’m noticing a pattern of the grill periodically overheating to as high as 240, then coming back down to 225. I’m using CookingPellets.com black cherry pellets. Is this just a normal fluctuation, or do I have something I need to adjust? Thanks for any help!

From what I've read when you open the lid it will overshoot to compensate.
Yeah, it definitely does that. But the temp swings I’m having are happening with me leaving it completely alone. So far they correct themselves pretty quickly, but the advertised +\- 5 degree swings were one of the major selling points. We’ll see what happens. ?

Yep, slow the auger and watch for direct sunlight on the top. This can have a pretty big impact on temp control.

What is the factory setting of the Auger?
Pretty sure it's 6.5 at least it is on the other grills. I have read where RecTec has said leave it at 6.5 or 3.0 nothing else in between for the other grills. I would recommend giving RecTec a call or send a email and see what they have to say on this issue.

Last edited:
Rec Tec told me to set mine at 35 at the gill or 3.5 if ur adjusting with the iPhone
And to experiment around those numbers that’s why they set it up so there clients can adjust there grills according to climate conditions and altitude when I go to the cabin at 6000 ft it runs different so I adjust auger speed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back