New member and owner of RT-340

JulesJose82

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
Hello everyone! i'm new to the forum and really new to the smoking world. i've loved eating brisket pork butt but i've never had the courage to smoke my own meats. grilling has been great but I wanted to try to smoke some meats. so my wife bought me a RT-340 and i'm super excited to finally smoke my own meats! if you all have any tips or tricks on getting started, recipes to try please don't hesitate to teach a old dog some new tricks!

Welcome to the team Jules, and congrats on having such a fantastic wife. There is loads of good info if you browse through the threads here. Good info and great people. Enjoy and cook the heck out of that 340.

Hello everyone! i'm new to the forum and really new to the smoking world. i've loved eating brisket pork butt but i've never had the courage to smoke my own meats. grilling has been great but I wanted to try to smoke some meats. so my wife bought me a RT-340 and i'm super excited to finally smoke my own meats! if you all have any tips or tricks on getting started, recipes to try please don't hesitate to teach a old dog some new tricks!
Welcome Jules, think your gonna love the Trailblazer and the smoking and grilling opportunities it provides. We've had our Trailblazer since last June, and it get's quite a workout. Good luck!

Welcome aboard. There's a ton of info on this forum. Always seem to be learning new things in reading what others have to offer. The 340, and all RT's, are great smokers.

Welcome @JulesJose82! It looks like @ol' stonebreaker gave you a good idea for a first, or at least one of your first, cooks. Spread some bacon around the grates and check out how it cooks. You’ll learn about hot spots on the grill and spread some grease around for seasoning the grill. Not to mention you end up with some cooked bacon! Good luck.

Hi Jules, only tips I can offer... Pork Butt is a good first cook, and don't plan on a done time till it's done.

Welcome aboard. There's a ton of info on this forum. Always seem to be learning new things in reading what others have to offer. The 340, and all RT's, are great smokers.
yeah, that's what i'm hoping for! some learning and testing this bad boy out!

Welcome @JulesJose82! It looks like @ol' stonebreaker gave you a good idea for a first, or at least one of your first, cooks. Spread some bacon around the grates and check out how it cooks. You’ll learn about hot spots on the grill and spread some grease around for seasoning the grill. Not to mention you end up with some cooked bacon! Good luck.
yeah that is a really good idea! and we do love some bacon.

Welcome and I just have one tip.My 340 is hotter on the right side. I learned that grilling bacon.
For sure on the right side heat. Nothing significant, but for longer cooks you will want to rotate. Coming from stick burning, that was nothing new to me.

Also, an FYI, get a good instant read thermometer, like Thermapen or similar. While the RT probes are pretty accurate, I calibrate mine routinely and they are very close, having an instant read will be of much benefit.

Happy smoking!!

Congrats on the Wife!! Good Job!!

I mean the RT-340 :)

Seriously.. you will have so many years of happiness with her (both) .. Enjoy!!

Welcome and I just have one tip.My 340 is hotter on the right side. I learned that grilling bacon.

Great tip for everyone stonebreaker. I have a thermometer with two thermocouples. I put a thermocouple thru the each smoke vent and set them inside each end of the grill. I attach them with clothes pins. I found my grill to be running about 15 to 20 degrees hotter on the right side. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

Great tip for everyone stonebreaker. I have a thermometer with two thermocouples. I put a thermocouple thru the each smoke vent and set them inside each end of the grill. I attach them with clothes pins. I found my grill to be running about 15 to 20 degrees hotter on the right side. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.
To me, this is completely logical. I believe he blower blows from left to right across the fire pit. That means it hits the right wall first and it has to cool some then it circulates throughout the unit. I think that is why I believe I have seen they want the sear grates on the right side if you purchase them.

There is a lot of radiant heat, I use an aluminum pan for briskets and butts. I raise the brisket up off the bottom of the pan as well with another grate inside the pan. The pan also catches the grease from the brisket and butt, keeps the butt from sticking to the grate which it will do even if lubed. Make sure you get a second method of taking/watching the temps, these built in probes can be finicky. I use lumberjack and pitboss pellets, both have done well. Some pellets have temp issues. Get a small notebook and make notes of your cooks, my first entry was " Pork butt stuck to grate and fell apart, use pan from now on". Wifi has learning curve to set up, other members will help you with that.

Welcome, and enjoy your Bull,
Donny

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back