Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I’ve literally waited for 16 months for this to arrive-a Miyabi Artisan rocking Santoku knife from ZWILLING. I’m a big fan of Santoku knives, and also in the picture one can see my Wusthof Blackwood that has been my favorite chef knife for years now. Hoping that the Miyabi lives up to its hype. I also have an 8” Miyabi Artisan Chef’s knife, but it has a different feel from the Santoku.
IMG_1413.jpeg

I’ve literally waited for 16 months for this to arrive-a Miyabi Artisan rocking Santoku knife from ZWILLING. I’m a big fan of Santoku knives, and also in the picture one can see my Wusthof Blackwood that has been my favorite chef knife for years now. Hoping that the Miyabi lives up to its hype. I also have an 8” Miyabi Artisan Chef’s knife, but it has a different feel from the Santoku.
View attachment 19099
I heard Gordon Ramsey the other nite on TV saying the Japanese have the best knifes.

I heard Gordon Ramsey the other nite on TV saying the Japanese have the best knifes.
They have really nice steel. But sometimes ‘best‘ comes down to a preference to East or West. The Miyabi line, and some other knife brands are a blend of East and Western technology.

Knives, kitchen and otherwise, are a passion of mine. I have a drawer full of Wusthof knives already! Just want to ensure they are still keeping pace!
Congrats on the new knife. It is always fun to add a new cutting tool to the collection. That said, I’ll bet my 20-year-old Wusthof Classics are every bit as sharp as the new ones. Personally, I love the feel of the Classic series in my hand. Great balance and they will hold a wicked edge. I hope your new Miyabi is just as good.

Some of my Wusthof knives have some age on them too, but not 20 years! My wife bought me my first one-can’t remember when that was. I purchased the one above in 2015.

Very nice- congratulations.

I've got 15+ years of use out of a "one" Henckel set. Debated on spending more on "threes" and decided it wasn't worth it. They have held up quite well other than the handles on the serrated utility and paring knives which I use all the time.

Picked up a Kramer 10" Japanese steel knife a few years ago. I pay close attention when wielding it... easily could take one or more fingers off cleanly like a band saw! A woodworking friend did exactly that to his left index finger. He is an accomplished guitar player and quickly adapted to playing 3-finger :(

I pay close attention when wielding it... easily could take one or more fingers off cleanly like a band saw! A woodworking friend did exactly that to his left index finger.
Ten years ago now I almost lost the end of my middle finger on one of my bandsaws. It cut ¾ of the way around the finger, cutting through the nail and fracturing my finger. Very unpleasant! It healed very nicely, can hardly tell it happened.

Ten years ago now I almost lost the end of my middle finger on one of my bandsaws. It cut ¾ of the way around the finger, cutting through the nail and fracturing my finger. Very unpleasant! It healed very nicely, can hardly tell it happened.
😱 Ouch, I am sure colorful metaphors would have spewed from my mouth.

I kid you not, years ago I saw (pardon the pun) a woodworker post the nearly exact picture, of his hand next to a table say blade. He lost all four digits.
A newly retired coworker was working on his deck. He managed to sever four fingers on his left hand. His wife ran out to help, she slipped in the blood and broke her ankle. This actually happened about a month ago.

Nice knife, Greg!

My favorite is still my old 7" Wustof Santoku. It has OK steel that sharpens easily. But the blade profile is what I like most. Like your Wustof Santoku, mine has that nearly straight edge that makes cutting veggies and most other things easy.

Nice knife, Greg!

My favorite is still my old 7" Wustof Santoku. It has OK steel that sharpens easily. But the blade profile is what I like most. Like your Wustof Santoku, mine has that nearly straight edge that makes cutting veggies and most other things easy.
I have a 7” Santoku also, but I don’t use it nearly as often as the 5”. Now for people really knowable about Wusthof knives, my 5” May look a little ‘not right’ because it is. I broke the tip off on it and had to re-shape it. If I have a lot of vegetables to slice, my absolute favorite is my Wusthof Nakiri!

IMG_1414.jpeg

I have a 7” Santoku also, but I don’t use it nearly as often as the 5”. Now for people really knowable about Wusthof knives, my 5” May look a little ‘not right’ because it is. I broke the tip off on it and had to re-shape it. If I have a lot of vegetables to slice, my absolute favorite is my Wusthof Nakiri!

View attachment 19102
My late mother (from Japan) loved her old tarnished and beat up old Japanese carbon steel nakiri. (y)

…my 5” may look a little ‘not right’ because it is. I broke the tip off on it and had to re-shape it. If I have a lot of vegetables to slice, my absolute favorite is my Wusthof Nakiri!
Well, you answered my question before I even asked it, @Greg Jones. Something just didn’t look right in your photo. Now, I understand. So, your “5 Santoku” is actually a 4-7/8 Santoko. :rolleyes:

The Nakiri is one of the few Wusthof Classics I don’t (yet) have, but I have been eyeing it lately and wondering how I could sneak it into the collection without aggravating the Chancellor of the Exchequer. :ROFLMAO: She doesn’t see the need for an additional cutting tool, given the pretty full collection of them already present. I do have a spare slot in the Wusthof 35-slot knife block. We’re working on it.:unsure:

Last edited:
This is a great thread. For us novice guys... would love a guide of what you need... basics... advanced..

I am absolutely an amateur. My drawer would probably make you all laugh. I have the knives that Bearded Butcher guys swear by for trimming. I bought an Amazon carving knife. But on my Youtube feed i keep getting that add with the guy saying 'my wife bought me this crazy knife, i love that girl'. Ha. It is tempting... weird looking thing (looks more like a Crappie than a knife). I see those guys who carve up Blue Fin tuna using something similar.

I would love a Smoking/BBQ knifes 101 for amateurs please... What kind do you have? For what purpose? Why? e.g. Japan versus German? Brands? Anything would be great!

View attachment 19099
Now you've done it... haha

I went on the hunt and settled for a 7" Miyabi Artisan non-rocker version.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back