New Dad. New Job. New House. New Grill!

Doc Esco

It’s been a crazy few weeks with cramming all of the major life changes into a small window but I’m finally settling in! My wife and I bought a house 600 miles away without seeing it in person due to travel restrictions for my job. Wife gave birth to our first child about 2 months ago followed by us moving to the new house only after two weeks post-delivery. Still waiting for my job to start so I’ve taken up grilling/smoking meat as a new hobby!

My original purchase was a RT-700, but when it was delivered I noticed that the box was realllllly banged up due to all of the accessories that they piled on top. After opening the top of the box I noticed a some deep scratches, so recteq arranged for a replacement to be sent asap. Only thing was, about an hour later they revealed that the RT-1250 was shipping, so I decided to go ahead and go for the new model. Was able to put it together by myself and did the first cook tonight (chicken thighs with Kinder‘s “The Blend.”) Really happy with how the first cook turned out and looking forward to trying out new recipes in the future!

Only problems I’ve run into so far are that the Wi-Fi has been such a pain to set up (I have an Orbi 6 and from what I’ve seen on the forum, it’s especially painful to get a connection.) Also during shutdown I followed the advice of turning the heat down to 225F with the lid closed for a bit before doing the shutdown procedure, however I was little worried when I saw some smoke coming from the hopper during the shutdown (at least I think it was… it was getting pretty late and the patio lighting wasn’t great.)

Overall I’m really happy with the purchase and just wanted to say thank you to everyone for posting such helpful information over the years. Also a special shout out to Hilbe. Bought a bunch of your accessories on Etsy and the shipping was super quick!

2C647325-59F8-4E9A-AFF5-63459533EAB6.jpeg
4089AF09-D212-4B39-9570-25CFE216804C.jpeg
DEE43B9E-5A5D-4B7F-9602-45A61AC950AC.jpeg

Congratulations! That’s a lot of change in a short period of time, but it looks like you’re rocking it! Let us know how you like your new grill!

Congratulations! That’s a lot of change in a short period of time, but it looks like you’re rocking it! Let us know how you like your new grill!

Thanks! Firing up some ribs now while waiting for my Father-in-Law to fly in, hopefully they come out decent.

Nice patio! I’d keep the Grill under cover when not in use, enjoy!

Appreciate it! I made sure to wheel it under the covered patio last night. I'm sorta near the beach so it rains a lot, haven't been able to tell whether there's a consensus to use the recteq cover on it or not. Any thoughts?

Awesome, I like to keep it clean so I clean it and cover after use, some cover some don’t. Some clean after use,some don’t. Totally up to you Being beachside a cover will definitely help imho

Welcome to the forum! Coastal style homes are awesome, so you have my envy. You have been through many good stressors recently, but a Recteq grill helps to overcome many of them. You made a good call going with the RT-1250 because it is a perfected RT-700. Recteq obviously follows this forum & instituted most of the mods we beta tested for them. You done good!

For you northerners, that means "you did well".

Welcome to the forum! Coastal style homes are awesome, so you have my envy. You have been through many good stressors recently, but a Recteq grill helps to overcome many of them. You made a good call going with the RT-1250 because it is a perfected RT-700. Recteq obviously follows this forum & instituted most of the mods we beta tested for them. You done good!

For you northerners, that means "you did well".
Appreciate it! Haven't been able to just sit and have a beer in a while but find myself doing it more now that I have the recteq.

Was hoping to get some advice for tomorrow's cook. My visiting Father-in-Law invited over some guests for tomorrow for a cook out (hot dogs and burgers,) but I haven't been able to get the sear kit yet from GrillGrates. Do I just crank up the grill to full and toss everything on? Or should I make a trip to the store tomorrow and pick up a Lodge cast iron skillet or griddle?

Last edited:
I do burgers both ways and get good burgers straight on the grill. When I need a quick cook I preheat to 450 and put Costco Angus patties on the grill frozen. About 3 minutes then turn them and apply rub to the partially cooked patty. 3 more minutes then flip them again and apply rub to the second side. Another couple minutes on each side then add cheese until melted the way we like. They turn out juicy and flavorful every time. You get grill lines but no real sear. My wife prefers them this way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back