New Bull owner - can't get wifi connected

Limi Bull Guy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Received my bull last week and did the initial burn-in and my first cook. Now I'm trying to get the wifi to connect. Confirmed I'm on 2.4ghz. My phone has a great signal and my bull is literally only 6 feet away from my router with only a window between them. I tried troubleshooting using a phone hot-spot. I was able to get the bull to connect if the hotspot phone was a couple feet from the bull.

I've tried 10+ times to connect using my home wifi network and have followed all the troubleshooting suggestions. There is no reason this shouldn't be picking up my home network due to the close proximity to my router. The only way I could get it any closer is to bring it inside my house! I'm assuming it is time for a call to RecTec...

So far I love my bull but the wifi was one of the primary reasons I bought it.

I had to go to advanced settings on my orbi router and completely disable the 5ghz band in order to connect.
No luck. Tried turning off the 5G and still couldn't get it to connect. Looks like I need to call RecTec to see what ideas they have.

I had to shut my phone down completely after the first try, hooked up immediately when tried second time

I spoke with customer support over the weekend about this same issue. He stated that there is a bug in the app affecting about 50% of customers and it won't allow a connection even if all of the connection prerequisites are met

UPDATE - I called Tech Support on Tuesday evening and after about 30-minutes we got it working. Turned off 5ghz band. Went to phone and told phone to forget the 2ghz band. Then reconnected to 2ghz band. Tried connecting again. Had to do this a few times but then it worked on about the third try. I used app last night to remote start my 700, then used app to monitor my 2nd cook on it. I’m a happy guy now!

I too spent some time on this. Two things, I have an Xfinity dual band router. I created a second Network so for the 2.3, this is the one I have the Rec Tec App connect to. @nd, I believe my wifi antenna on the bull needed tightened just a whisker (I thought it was tight enough initially. Once you get it, it seems to work lightening fast and without issue.

I too spent some time on this. Two things, I have an Xfinity dual band router. I created a second Network so for the 2.3, this is the one I have the Rec Tec App connect to. @nd, I believe my wifi antenna on the bull needed tightened just a whisker (I thought it was tight enough initially. Once you get it, it seems to work lightening fast and without issue.
I can’t believe they don’t update the app to accommodate the 5g...... I am not going slow everything else in the house down for the Rec tec much as I love it. Why would they do that when everyone is starting to run 5 g......

I called tech support for my dual band router and had them remotely disable the 5g. After a couple of tries with the app it connected. Then the tech support person restarted 5g. I was told by RecTec that it would maintain the 2.4g connection and it has. I agree that the app should be updated to accommodate both bands. It doesn't make sense not to and it was quite frustrating and time consuming. BUT...it's working now.

I can’t believe they don’t update the app to accommodate the 5g...... I am not going slow everything else in the house down for the Rec tec much as I love it. Why would they do that when everyone is starting to run 5 g......
I suspect it's not the app, but rather the hardware for the controller has only a 2.4ghz radio. Not unusual, a lot of smart home gear doesn't have 5ghz. It's newer but has shorter effective range from the router or access point.

Also, you might think about getting a higher gain antenna if you have disconnects. I bought a big antenna, which screws onto the existing port or you can relocate it under the shelf or where ever you like.

I literally just did this. $8 and solved all my problems.

Also, you might think about getting a higher gain antenna if you have disconnects. I bought a big antenna, which screws onto the existing port or you can relocate it under the shelf or where ever you like.

Received my bull last week and did the initial burn-in and my first cook. Now I'm trying to get the wifi to connect. Confirmed I'm on 2.4ghz. My phone has a great signal and my bull is literally only 6 feet away from my router with only a window between them. I tried troubleshooting using a phone hot-spot. I was able to get the bull to connect if the hotspot phone was a couple feet from the bull.

I've tried 10+ times to connect using my home wifi network and have followed all the troubleshooting suggestions. There is no reason this shouldn't be picking up my home network due to the close proximity to my router. The only way I could get it any closer is to bring it inside my house! I'm assuming it is time for a call to RecTec...

So far I love my bull but the wifi was one of the primary reasons I bought it.
Did you get your alarms to work

Wifi didn't work for me on first attempt. I had seen here, that turning phone off and back on worked for them. Sure saved me some frustration and a headache....worked for me on first attempt after that Only used smoker once so far, alarm didn't work. I'll keep at it. Not that big a deal for me. I keep constant tabs on temps anyway. Graphing is really cool on this thing...

My alarms do not work, they work on my other smoker and my Sous Vide. They have an issue with their app.
Best Greg

My alarms do not work, they work on my other smoker and my Sous Vide. They have an issue with their app.
Best Greg
I tried using the alarms today (smoked a whole pork loin, beef brisket, and beef roast) but they did not work. Not a huge deal for me as I keep pretty close tabs on my cooks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back