New app problems!

Hamp

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Did some ribs yesterday and the notifications on the new app were crazy. Kept telling me temp was low when it was actually high and the other way around also. Seemed to stop completely for awhile then came back. Everything else worked fine. Anybody else have this problem?

If Android, confirm your version is 1.7.1 (294). I had the crazy out of order notifications but since a subsequent update, notifications seem fine.

Yesterday probe read that chicken was ready in 20 minutes at 165. Thermapen confirmed it was at 135.
Did you sync the probes? If not, you can do that to ensure the probes are reading correctly.

168 but thermapen showed 135. That is about 30 degrees off based on public school math.
The front LCD display has nothing to do with the app, so the app didn't cause the reading to be off. Re-calibrate the probes and mark them A and B so you don't mix the up. If they don't calibrate accurately, they may be defective, request replacements.

92FEBA14-F701-4426-BCBE-38F75C0656A2.png

Mine has been working as expected.

With all of the problems with the app, I would not recalibrate probes based on an app reported temperature. The front panel reported temp is what I'd use.

The front LCD display has nothing to do with the app, so the app didn't cause the reading to be off. Re-calibrate the probes and mark them A and B so you don't mix the up. If they don't calibrate accurately, they may be defective, request replacements.

I'm sorry that you are not following me. I calibrated the probes when I got the grill, you are suggestion that when a update is applied the calibration is gone. I just tested on one probe was off by 3 degrees. I adjusted and then the grill showed the probes with dashes but the app still have the old temps. I'm drive over to the headquarters and see if they can test for me. I figure it out. No need to us to discuss anymore.
No, I'm saying the front LCD display has nothing to do with the app, just so you know, reread my post.

Last edited:
With all of the problems with the app, I would not recalibrate probes based on an app reported temperature. The front panel reported temp is what I'd use.

Not sure about others, but the app reports exactly what the front of the grill does, for me anyway. You have to use the front panel anyway to calibrate the probes.

Mine doesn't always. When it doesn't, if I kill the app and go back in, it'll be updated to what the front panel says.

Well, it looks like @Greg C deleted all their posts from this thread, not sure why, strange, but I assume they figured out the problem and wanted to remove their trail :unsure:

Reactions: JGW
My App readings and notifications lagged way behind the panel readings and are off by 40 degrees at times. I'm not convinced it was worth the money to upgrade from my original RT-680 controller. Disappointed......

My App readings and notifications lagged way behind the panel readings and are off by 40 degrees at times. I'm not convinced it was worth the money to upgrade from my original RT-680 controller. Disappointed......
I noticed that my old 680 controller seemed to be hotter and faster than the upgraded WiFi controller.

I have been grilling for four years with a 700. Just did an 18 hour brisket. Yes, the app has issues now. Big delays in probe temp updates and very annoying and unnecessary alerts have been added to ruin the Recteq experience. It use to be a really nice app in the beginning one could rely on. Don't ruin your cookout by relying on this app.

Last edited:
I have been grilling for four years with a 700. Just did an 18 hour brisket. The app was basically a joke. Big lags in probe temp updates and the stupid thing kept telling me my grill was heating up. No kidding I know it is heating up I turned it on and turned it up. Also, told me my food was almost ready...No kidding I have been watching it. I guess it is designed for a complete idiot to use it, or was designed by a complete idiot. It is so unreliable and annoying now. It use to be an excellent app back years ago without all of this lag and annoying crap.
For what it’s worth, plz provide same feedback to RT.

I'm using the new Android 1.7.1 (294) version. I have delays in updating and notifications especially if I leave the location and come back or lock my phone and log in again, but that existed on previous versions, just not quite as bad. I get short delays on my Inkbird as well if I leave the location and come back. I just wait a few seconds to ensure they have the updated info, occasionally having to close the app and reopen it to make it functional again mainly on the Recteq app. Another issue that is present but existed previously, is when viewing the temperature chart, it only functions for short cooks. Anything longer than a few hours and it gets a "request frequency limit error", followed by "no chart data available" or eventually a resetting of the original start time losing all data prior to the new start time. I've reported it to Recteq previously and their only suggestion was to lengthen the frequency to 10, 15 or 30 sec, but that doesn't help. It still loses data. That's why I no longer depend on the Recteq app and use the Inkbird instead. The only additional issue I've found that doesn't work on the new version is that I can no longer change the min feed rate from the app. I usually leave it at 3 anyway. I just tested all the functions on the new version and that no longer works in addition to the temperature chart and the delays. I agree, they need someone that can actually fix these issues because the app just isn't very functional. I've tried reinstalling and that didn't work. I've also reported all the issues to Recteq previously and recently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back