New 700 in Minnesota

Hendu

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Greetings! Well, I decided to pull the trigger to go from my char broil propane to a pellet grill. After countless hours of research over the last few weeks I’ve landed on the RT-700. Yesterday I pulled the trigger and now I have to wait the next week and a half-two weeks out until it arrives.

I have been smoking quite a bit of chicken this year to make dieting easier. The flavor and texture of smoked chicken makes it enjoyable rather than twisting my face into a sad expression. As a bonus, my wife loves it too. I’m smoking so much of it that the uneven cook in the drum and negatives of propane are just undesirable now. I wanted something that brings good flavor, even cooks, and a lot more cooking space. I am also closing in my goal weight and want to be able to add other meats slowly back in to my diet and still be able to cook a variety.

Let’s be fair, a smoked turkey for thanksgiving with smoked sides is another way to make 2020 just a little better.

I spent a lot of time going between the various products available. I started at Traeger, but quickly moved on. I then started considering saving a little and going with a GG or PB, but in the end I kept coming back to RT. The silverbac makes a compelling case to buy it, but with the 700 I get; WiFi, a nicer controller, a solid build, the ceramic igniter, a better warranty, and a community that clearly loves it. I almost went with the 590, the cooking area would have been better than what we have now and done fine. I’ll be honest, and this may sound silly, the aesthetics of the 700 felt worth it over the 590. Rear hopper, round lid, and that chimney. Plus, though rare, larger guest meals.

I only picked up a cover and the front shelf for now. I would love advice on the following.
  • Is the wheel mod worth it and how hard if it is? I likely won’t be moving it around much unless I decide winter smoking will be on drive way instead of patio so I can keep it in garage during snow season.
  • Is the RT long shelf worth it in your experience? Have you found after market alternatives that work well?
  • Do you foil your drip pan?
  • Any cold winter tips?
  • Best first meal on the smoker?
  • Any other recommended mods/accessories/things to know?
Thank you in advance! I’ll keep reading on these but I love hearing others’ experiences.

Congratulations! Did you consider the company cart? If you are going to move it much at all the comp cart is tough to beat at half off and free shipping. Either way you are going to love the 700.

Congrats. If you will be moving it regularly at all I'd suggest considering the competition cart. Looks like RT may have ended the 50% off promo, but it's still worth thinking about. The stock swivel casters have been known to break going from garage to driveway. Or you can just replace them. The thread for the wheel mod goes back to an earlier version of the RT-700 with straight legs. The model now has the wife legs and the complete mod isn't as straightforward nowadays (no thru axle on the fixed wheels & more). As mentioned, swapping the casters is still doable.

Congrats. Mine hasn't moved since I bought it mid summer. It may find a winter location, but it will still be on the patio and won't move until spring. So stock wheels have been fine for me.

I have the large interior shelf, used it once. It's fine but there's a lot of room on the primary shelf. Hindsight, maybe could have saved a buck or two.

Front folding shelf is a requirement.

Enjoy. I have put over 50lbs of pellets through since the 4th of July and I still use the gas Weber for grilling. I really like it. Good choice.

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I missed the 50% promo by a few days while I wrapped up my decision, kind of bummed because I’d have added it in a heartbeat. Sounds like the wheel mod is off the table. I can always rig up a custom cart/dolly. I did reach out to RT to see what they say. Another 400 is a bit harder to swallow than another 200 after buying the rest right now.

I have found my large 2nd shelf and mesh mats beneficial. We do hot smoked salmon on the mats all the time. I wonder if you could talk RT customer service into a $200 competition cart, if you toss in the shelf and some mats or rubs? The cart is great, but I understand it would be even better with a discount. I paid full price for mine, and it has been very helpful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back