New 590 Owner in Virginia

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
During the pandemic, I was using my gas grill as a smoker (low heat, wood chips, indirect heat, etc.) I did okay but finally admitted it's too hard to maintain temperature so after research, I pulled the trigger on the RT-590. Put it together last night, lit it up this morning. Starting with some ribs tomorrow. Super excited.

During the pandemic, I was using my gas grill as a smoker (low heat, wood chips, indirect heat, etc.) I did okay but finally admitted it's too hard to maintain temperature so after research, I pulled the trigger on the RT-590. Put it together last night, lit it up this morning. Starting with some ribs tomorrow. Super excited.

Congrats, and welcome! You're gonna love it. Tons of helpful info & great group of folks on here, including several of us from VA, too.

Welcome to the crew. I've had mine for almost 2 years and love it. You probably will too.

Little help here. I fired it up yesterday with no issues. This morning, I turned it on to pre-heat it to 225 for my ribs. It's been pre-heating for 45 minutes and it's still only at 115 degrees. I hear the auger, I hear pellets dropping but the temp isn't moving. Any thoughts?

Little help here. I fired it up yesterday with no issues. This morning, I turned it on to pre-heat it to 225 for my ribs. It's been pre-heating for 45 minutes and it's still only at 115 degrees. I hear the auger, I hear pellets dropping but the temp isn't moving. Any thoughts?
Check the igniter position.

Update: I removed the grate components and found that the pellets had overflowed and was in the floor of the smoker. I removed them and I'm trying again.

Update: I removed the grate components and found that the pellets had overflowed and was in the floor of the smoker. I removed them and I'm trying again.

Different ways to handle this. My two cents: On both my 590 & 380, I (usually) do a quick check of the firepot before igniting, to pull out a handful of ash if there's a lot, and/or to make sure there's some fresh pellets next to the ignitor. I leave the lid open until I see/smell smoke. Occasionally, if it doesn't light within a few minutes, I'll raise the set temp to get it started and then back down to my smoking temp once it's going.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back