Need some advise on smoking cheese

Have a cold smoke going on now with apple.

Gouda, pepper jack, and string cheese.

Attachments

• 20210123_112004.jpg
    20210123_112004.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 79
I did my first smoked cheese two weeks ago. Three different cheddars and a pepper jack. Used RT Ultimate Blend pellets in a smoke tube and turned the fan on test mode. Smoked for two hours then wrapped in plastic wrap over night. The next day my wife vacuum sealed the cheese.

We tried our first piece piece yesterday and it was DELICIOUS! We both thought it could use more smoke but still tasted great. Next time I’ll let it smoke for three or four hours. And maybe use a hickory/apple blend.
93DDB65B-1CA6-4E30-A124-CF740DB2B7DF.jpeg

Finally got my replacement probe that was broken in shipment on the smoker box. I put a block of cheddar and a block of guyere on the middle shelf. Set the 700 Bull on low or 180 degrees and added a smoke tube inside the grill (not the smoker box). Outside temps are 32 degrees here so I gave it 11/2 hours thinking it would be good. Problem was the cheese was nearly melted and sweating. Lower gauge was reading just over 100.
Was the smoke tube adding too much heat? Can Rec Teq lower the minimum heat from 180 to say 150 with a program?
150 degrees is still waaay to hot for cheese. You want the temp below 100. I would use only the smoke tube and maybe the fan if you think it's needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back