Need an IR thermometer? ThermoWorks has them on sale today!

So how good is the Thermoworks? I picked up an inexpensive one on Amazon recently. But will I be happier with the accuracy of this one?

I have long found ThermoWorks products to be reliable, durable and accurate. My collection includes a Thermapen Classic, Thermapen One, a Signals and a couple of Pops. My IR gun is a different brand.

If you are specifically asking whether you will be happier with a ThermoWorks IR gun over one of another brand that you already have, I’d say probably not. Unless you suspect a problem with your current IR gun, you probably won’t notice a difference. IR guns used in the grilling world don’t have to be all that accurate to be useful. It really doesn’t matter whether your grill plates measure 670F or 715F, as long as they are in the ballpark for what you want, no problem.

Meat thermometers, OTOH, are much more critical in my view. It does make a difference whether they measure 10-15 degrees off in either direction. And, I’ve found the ThermoWorks meat thermometers to be very accurate and repeatable in their measurements. And, they are quick; 1-2 seconds to get an accurate reading.

YMMV

I'll echo @Jim6820 . I have a Thermoworks Signals and a Thermopen One. Both are great products. I also have a DeWalt IR gun that I've used for many other tasks that I trust. The point of my post is that Thermoworks is in the temperature business. They support the food world, but in the end they're a bunch of temperature geeks and I suspect that any of their products are super-geeky accurate.

As two side notes:

I've had a few bad probes. One was totally my fault and I owned it. The other was replaced no questions asked via an online chat. It arrived Priority mail in 2 days.

I actually sent "feedback" suggesting that like some iPhone apps, it would be great if you could pick a phone sound that's super obnoxious for their alarms versus their somewhat subtle alarm tone (that I apparently can sleep through). I got a reply within 24 hours thanking me for the idea and that they were sending to their development team.

Plus my oldest grandson likes the packs of Jelly Bellies they toss into every shipment.

OBTW........

Anyone seeing this thread, make sure that you sign up for e-mails/promos from Thermoworks. When I was looking for a new thermometer, I surfed and surfed and finally bought a Meater Plus (which I am happy with). In the process of investigating, I "inadvertantly" signed up for the Thermoworks marketing e-mails/specials. Well, a couple of days later, I started getting bombarded (not a bad thing) with "sales" and discounts from Thermoworks.
The Thermoworks unit that I had been considering was $225.00 (IIRC), so I passed. But, they were giving 30% discounts. I would have bought the Thermoworks unit, but I had already bought the Meater Plus.

So, sign up for the Thermoworks marketing e-mails. They offer significant discounts frequently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back