Bull My RT-700 Zaps Me

OPIEWFFW

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Whenever I touch my grill barefoot, I get a mild local shock. This includes touching the handles, touching the drum, or even putting a piece of meat on the grates. It's not painful or anything but definitely noticeable. It's done it as long as I have owned it. Currently smoking some ribs for July 4th festivities. Had forgotten about it, as I am usually wearing shoes. Happened to have just come back from the beach and grabbed the lid when it gave me a little zap. It's really annoying. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm suspecting that there is a bad ground somewhere.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not just static electricity?

Are you using an extension cord to power the grill? If so it should have a three prong female and three prong male plug on it. This statement assumes the RT male plug has three prongs and is in good condition. Cord should be plugged into a three prong outlet wherever you are pulling power from. If the extension cord is damaged and the round prong does not have continuity back to ground, you can get this issue. The electricity has nowhere to go but through you to ground. Hence the zap. But is is also indicative that some component in the system is bleeding electricity it shouldn't be and can't find a path to ground. All this to say JGW is correct in advising you contact RT but also inspect the power connections and verify they are in good shape for your own safety.

Our son had the same problem when he got his 700. Contacted RT and they sent him a replacement grill. Same thing with the replacement and he found it needed a complete grounded circuit and the problem went away. I'm thinking that's what the OP is having.

Are we missing the obvious simple solution of not using the grill while barefoot?!

(but yes, kidding aside that's kind of a serious deal so please contact RT to get it fixed. Good luck!)

Whenever I touch my grill barefoot, I get a mild local shock. This includes touching the handles, touching the drum, or even putting a piece of meat on the grates. It's not painful or anything but definitely noticeable. It's done it as long as I have owned it. Currently smoking some ribs for July 4th festivities. Had forgotten about it, as I am usually wearing shoes. Happened to have just come back from the beach and grabbed the lid when it gave me a little zap. It's really annoying. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm suspecting that there is a bad ground somewhere.
Call electrician to check house wiring. I trust you're using a GFI outside, right?

Are you using an extension cord to power the grill? If so it should have a three prong female and three prong male plug on it. This statement assumes the RT male plug has three prongs and is in good condition. Cord should be plugged into a three prong outlet wherever you are pulling power from. If the extension cord is damaged and the round prong does not have continuity back to ground, you can get this issue. The electricity has nowhere to go but through you to ground. Hence the zap. But is is also indicative that some component in the system is bleeding electricity it shouldn't be and can't find a path to ground. All this to say JGW is correct in advising you contact RT but also inspect the power connections and verify they are in good shape for your own safety.

Call electrician to check house wiring. I trust you're using a GFI outside, right?

I don't know why I didn't consider this. Yes I am using an extension cord from inside the garage. That particular outlet has three prongs, but I believe it may not actually be grounded. It's also not a GFCI outlet. I actually have a new run of outlets on one wall of the garage. One of which is GFCI because it's near a sink. I will switch to that outlet and see what it does.

As a side note, I made ribs for the first time ever yesterday and they were so good I would consider putting them in a competition. 🤣

It looks like you might have a couple issues. Any metal housing on a device with electronics should be grounded. The issue might be both with the rectec and your outlet. I would contact both an electrician and rectec.

A normal outlet can be GFCI protected via upstream GFCI outlet or GFCI breaker. Though in your case it doesn't look like the case.

I would keep it unplugged, until you get this resolved.

I keep one of those socket testers with a GFI tester in my tool box. Cheap and easy way to see if you have current, if it's grounded or if the GFI actually works. (Yeah, I know you can test the GFI on the outlet itself, but......).

The only way to test another outlet and the grill is to potentially get zapped again. Not really recommended because you might only get to ride the lighting one more time. 🌩️

I had a dead short due to pinched wires that run up the back (between the hopper & the cook chamber) going to the interior light. They sent a whole new light assembly and wire harness. It was a bi**h getting the old wires out and the new ones in. For the $$ we pay, I'm really shocked at the poor workmanship/assembly on these.

Wow…thanks for the update. Yeah, might expect that with another lesser brand, but not RT. The danger of growing too fast? Hopefully a one-off and not indicative of a larger trend.

My money's on; It's not getting a proper Ground
Either through the Grill itself, the Outlet or an issue with the Cord(s)

Last edited:
If you plug into a GFCI and start the grill does it trip the GFCI? If so it's likely a grill/cord issue. If using a cord eliminate the cord and try just the grill.
Getting buzzed is indicative of leaking current back to ground through your body! A GFCI will trip and save your life. Never use any outside electric without a GFCI it could mean your life. Even a portable will help.

Is your grill properly grounded?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back