My RecTeq causing family issues?

sdynak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ok.. I'll try to make this short. Ever since I got my Bull I have to admit I have been a little addicted to it. Ok.. so it's an obsession.. there.. I said it!!

Now I love my wife dearly after 30 years of marriage we are still very happy but tonight, I was just doing a simple spatchcocked chicken and would you know it came out good like the rest of the meals so far and she really enjoyed it.

The problem comes in where while we were sitting there eating she turns to me and says.. "You don't need me anymore, I'm going to hand over the reigns to you for cooking dinner if you keep cooking like this". My response: "It's not me.. it's the RecTeq!"

I was not expecting this kind of conversation at our dinner time so reaching out to my dear RecTeq family (ok, therapy group) here for advice.
  • Do I dump her and get the BFG and move on happily ever after?
  • Do I start trying to make crappy food on the RecTeq and let her feel a part of the dinner success process again?
  • Do I just back off my addiction somewhat all together, seek help and let her regain the "Kitchen Queen" title again?
  • Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and have a happy wife and suffer the consequences?
I'm truly concerned this could turn into her seriously abandoning any cooking from here on out and leave it to me! What have I created?

Open to other suggestions..

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.. 😁

I showed my wife how easy it is to use but just got the "rolling eyeballs". So my plan was about two weeks later I was "working late" (or something) and asked her to start the salmon for me and put pellets in (real long oooookkkk). She sighed and said ok how do I start this "thing". I explained push in the start button and adjust the temp to 220, she asked "that's it" I said yep (even though we had the starting class previously) give it 15 minutes and throw the salmon on and I will be home in 45 minutes. She had it seasoned and the salmon was great. Two weeks later I came home and she had started some meatloaf in it, she checked it with my Thermapen and it came out great. She said "that was real easy" (ummm yea..). So now she feels pretty good about trying things, she has done scotch eggs, mac and cheese, stuffed peppers and spaghetti in the Rec Tec and all came out great. We have been married 34 years.

I am ok to let her use it not a problem... I think the trouble is she sees it as mine and is liking taking a backseat somewhat. :unsure:
Yea this is a tough one, although everything in our house is both ours, I don't mess with her crafting stuff and she doesn't mess too much with my tools but if something is missing I know where to find it. The grills we have are used by both of us but the our Bull is mainly used by me.

I showed my wife how easy it is to use but just got the "rolling eyeballs". So my plan was about two weeks later I was "working late" (or something) and asked her to start the salmon for me and put pellets in (real long oooookkkk). She sighed and said ok how do I start this "thing". I explained push in the start button and adjust the temp to 220, she asked "that's it" I said yep (even though we had the starting class previously) give it 15 minutes and throw the salmon on and I will be home in 45 minutes. She had it seasoned and the salmon was great. Two weeks later I came home and she had started some meatloaf in it, she checked it with my Thermapen and it came out great. She said "that was real easy" (ummm yea..). So now she feels pretty good about trying things, she has done scotch eggs, mac and cheese, stuffed peppers and spaghetti in the Rec Tec and all came out great. We have been married 34 years.

See that is how it needs to work for us.. the only issue I might run into is I keep mine inside and wheel it out when I use it .. Yes, this is almost daily and gets old. I know for sure she won't wheel it out as it involves putting down plywood over rocks in front of my garage door. Hmmm..

Yea this is a tough one, although everything in our house is both ours, I don't mess with her crafting stuff and she doesn't mess too much with my tools but if something is missing I know where to find it. The grills we have are used by both of us but the our Bull is mainly used by me.

Yeah.. and it is complicated to how I keep it stored. Keeping in in my garage area and having to roll it out every time makes me think she won't bite on doing that one. I think I'm gonna have to push a few of those bad meals out :).

I took over the cooking duties 100% back in 2003, and we are both happier for it! She did buy a RT-340 back in December to bake on, but at the same time I picked up a Wyldside. Some creative thinking can make that BFG happen!
I would be torn on the BFG or the Wyldside if I had to choose.. I really like the idea of the Wyldside but the BFG is like having King of smokers. Maybe just get both.. LOL.

Edit - and the $100 off on the Wyldside is tempting!

I do like my Wyldside. Today I was working outside in my outdoor kitchen, temp was nice but still chilly 60*, and I lit a fire in it just to add some warmth. I’m really surprised recteq is closing them out-glad I got mine.

I also took over all the cooking when I retired at the end of 2015. My wife is happy I did. I am happy I did. All’s well that ends well I guess. And this has set me up for adding cookers and related tools because I just tell her I need (fill in the blank) to take the meals up another level. No push back so far and I have 9 cookers..... so far. 😉

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back