My 590 sucks!

Wasaplaya55

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I’m ready to get rid of my 590...Controller is fiddlesticked! My third cook for company ruined! In the oven now...Ninety bucks worth of plate ribs in the oven after 8 hrs!

I’m ready to get rid of my 590...Controller is fiddlesticked! My third cook for company ruined! In the oven now...Ninety bucks worth of plate ribs in the oven after 8 hrs!
It's frustrating when a product doesn't preform as expected, my recommendations are to contact recteq and explain what's happening and to see what their recommendations are.

Last edited:
I’m assuming $90 in ribs is quite a bit. I did the same thing several weeks ago cooking 6 racks for my son’s birthday, but I quickly realized that 4 racks (at the most) is all you can cook at one time without a rack. Since then I‘ve had serval successful rib cooks.

Beef plate ribs can be expensive particularly depending on the type/grade/quality and how many bones like 3 or 4. I’ve seen prices ranging from $10.99 lb and up around me. Don’t confuse with baby backs or pork spare which are cheaper. I will agree that you can put as many racks of pork ribs as even claimed if you want to stay over the drip pan without rib racks or other devices.
Sorry to hear that your having problems but RT has great customer service and will help if you call them.

It's frustrating when a product doesn't preform as expected, my recommendations are to contact recteq and explain what's happening and to see what their recommendations are.
Actually I’ve soken to most all of the techs including Zach who’s the lead tech and one by one they try to walk me through reconnecting to the wifi which I now know as well as them. Done it many times. On the rib cook it not only dropped the connection several times in and out but it told me that the temp was suddenly rising which went from 250 to 285 in seconds which makes me think it’s the controller itself but they don’t want to send me a controller so now they’re telling me to buy a wifi signal extender because they don’t think it’s the controller! BS! I should have kept my traeger. Thx for the concern though...

I think your just angry. If it keeps disconnecting most likely the wifi signal. Why don’t you just try getting one. Temps spikes happen sometimes. It won’t ruin the cook if the temps spike for a little.

If you want to verify your WiFi signal strength at your grill location, you can download a WiFi Analyzer app for your phone. I use WiFiAnalyzer on Android. I have Google Fiber but use a Linksys Velop Mesh Network for our WiFi with quite a number of access points due to the number of devices, some being outside the house including high bandwidth WiFi security cameras. The app will tell you what signal strength you have at the present location in dBm for each band, 2.4GHz and 5GHz (Recteq uses 2.4) and what channel your WiFi is using. You can also see your neighbor's WiFi and use it to avoid channels that are overcrowded. It will display when your signal is getting weak, usually past -66dBm.

Actually I’ve soken to most all of the techs including Zach who’s the lead tech and one by one they try to walk me through reconnecting to the wifi which I now know as well as them. Done it many times. On the rib cook it not only dropped the connection several times in and out but it told me that the temp was suddenly rising which went from 250 to 285 in seconds which makes me think it’s the controller itself but they don’t want to send me a controller so now they’re telling me to buy a wifi signal extender because they don’t think it’s the controller! BS! I should have kept my traeger. Thx for the concern though...
Wish you were closer, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

I had issues with my Bull dropping the WIFI, bought a extender and has worked like a champ since then!

I had the same issue with my 590 in the 1st week of use. I added a google mesh network node in my garage and not a single issue since last spring.

I think its great grill and with some extra extra patience and lots of support I think you can get it working. Lots of very happy 590 owners around. Good luck!!

@Wasaplaya55 What MarkM is suggesting is a good app. I use it as well, I check my neighborhood WiFis to see all the channels being used and then set mine on a different channel. It eliminates a lot of headache being proactive

Stay old school and just say no to WiFi and apps and all that crap.

I hadn't used my wifi remote app for a handful of smokes and I found out it wouldn't connect on the last smoke. No biggie. I checked and there's a revision to the app and I noted the antenna on the controller was also broke off. I have a longer antenna laying around. But, I've been too lazy to go thru the setup for the wifi today. I just tossed the brisket point on and set it manually. It's not all that much work to walk 10 steps out the door and set the Bull temp.

I cannot envision the wifi messing up a cook if the manual control is working. It may be that the OP had a grease fire. The smell of the smoke and color of the smoke would be telltale if it was a grease fire. I've found on large, greasy, long, smokes that grease will travel down the cooking grate rods and run into the drum, if the smoker isn't leveled perfectly. Sounds possible, since he had a lot of fatty meat on there.

Last edited:
I hadn't used my wifi remote app for a handful of smokes and I found out it wouldn't connect on the last smoke. No biggie. I checked and there's a revision to the app and I noted the antenna on the controller was also broke off. I have a longer antenna laying around. But, I've been too lazy to go thru the setup for the wifi today. I just tossed the brisket point on and set it manually. It's not all that much work to walk 10 steps out the door and set the Bull temp.
You shouldn't have to go through the wifi setup again once the grill was originally connected to your wifi. contact recteq on the broken antenna for a replacement.

I have some of the same issues. I cannot get the WiFi to work on my 590. I've spoken with someone from Rec Tec who recommended a WiFi extender so I went out to purchase one. Tried it this weekend and I'm still having the same issues. Tried using 3 different phones Google Pixel 3a, Samsung Galaxy 20, and an iPhone 8+.
On mine, I hold the button and the red light starts to flash I go through the 2.4ghz WiFi and it starts connecting. When it reaches 100% it says connection error, retry. This happens on all 3 phones and going through my normal WiFi along with the extender WiFi. The red light quits flashing on each attempt though so not sure if that is an issue or not.
Just ordered a Meater that was recommended since I cannot get the WiFi to connect on my 590 and return the WiFi extender.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back