My 590 sucks!

I totally understand it’s frustrating. And we spend a lot of money on the smokers and then we wait & wait for it to show up and it doesn’t work.
I am sure I’m not alone when I say this, I would like to be there to help.
And I’m sure your work schedule gets in the way of working on the issue. I know RT can work you through this issue. If you don’t feel like you are getting the support you need to get it up and running. You can call the owners, their numbers are on the welcome letter.
Just trying to help.

Last edited:
I totally understand it’s frustrating. And we spend a lot of money on the smokers and then we wait & wait for it to show up and it doesn’t work.
I am sure I’m not alone when I say this, I would like to be there to help.
And I’m sure your work schedule gets in the way of working on the issue. I know RT can work you through this issue. If you don’t feel like you are getting the support you need to get it up and running. You can call the owners, their numbers are on the welcome letter.
Just trying to help.
I've spoken with someone at Rec-Tec and like I said he mentioned buying an extender and sent me a couple of options. I purchased one of those options and tried it again and still ran into the same issue. I'm not going to continue to fight it and just purchased a cheap alternative. I do believe it is something Rec-Tec needs to look into as these types of issues are a pain in the ass when you are spending that much on a grill.

I've spoken with someone at Rec-Tec and like I said he mentioned buying an extender and sent me a couple of options. I purchased one of those options and tried it again and still ran into the same issue. I'm not going to continue to fight it and just purchased a cheap alternative. I do believe it is something Rec-Tec needs to look into as these types of issues are a pain in the ass when you are spending that much on a grill.

You might try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. That seemed to work for me.

I've spoken with someone at Rec-Tec and like I said he mentioned buying an extender and sent me a couple of options. I purchased one of those options and tried it again and still ran into the same issue. I'm not going to continue to fight it and just purchased a cheap alternative. I do believe it is something Rec-Tec needs to look into as
Good luck with your new grill. I can honestly say I have NEVER had a WiFi issue with my Bullseye.

I’m ready to get rid of my 590...Controller is fiddlesticked! My third cook for company ruined! In the oven now...Ninety bucks worth of plate ribs in the oven after 8 hrs!
Just need a new controller. Call RT, they will replace it.

Big problems with WiFi is distance from router, and structures that are in the way. If your WiFi is still in and out of function, I would suggest a simple WiFi booster. (think I've said this elsewhere on this blog). I had same trouble and then added a simple Netgear booster placed about 2/3 of the way to my RT 590. You have to make sure that your router is 2.4 G (won't work with 5 G). Simple instructions come with it for hookup, and also available on the Netgear site. Works all the time now. They are pretty cheap on Amazon or eBay.

Just need a new controller. Call RT, they will replace it.

This is worth a shot.. your issue does not seem to be with the wifi as it connects but fails. Maybe something with the controller is not right. They should send you a replacement to try. Don't give up.. this is a main feature of this grill.

Actually I’ve soken to most all of the techs including Zach who’s the lead tech and one by one they try to walk me through reconnecting to the wifi which I now know as well as them. Done it many times. On the rib cook it not only dropped the connection several times in and out but it told me that the temp was suddenly rising which went from 250 to 285 in seconds which makes me think it’s the controller itself but they don’t want to send me a controller so now they’re telling me to buy a wifi signal extender because they don’t think it’s the controller! BS! I should have kept my traeger. Thx for the concern though...
if you are getting temp swings with the wifi, then there probably is some lag while it’s trying to communicate between the app and the controller. The antenna location on the grill isn’t the best. But if you are still getting temp swings while cooking without using the app and wifi, there is a quick fix for that. My FireCraft pellet grill is about the same size and design as the 590.
My quick fix for that was to tape up all of the exhaust vents except for one.
After that I was able to achieve stable temps. Now if you are cooking when it’s too cold out then you will get temp swings because these grills aren’t insulated.

Now for the peanut gallery thinking that this isn’t a firecraft forum, i’m just letting you know that my rt700 will be delivered today.

if you are getting temp swings with the wifi, then there probably is some lag while it’s trying to communicate between the app and the controller. The antenna location on the grill isn’t the best. But if you are still getting temp swings while cooking without using the app and wifi, there is a quick fix for that. My FireCraft pellet grill is about the same size and design as the 590.
My quick fix for that was to tape up all of the exhaust vents except for one.
After that I was able to achieve stable temps. Now if you are cooking when it’s too cold out then you will get temp swings because these grills aren’t insulated.

Now for the peanut gallery thinking that this isn’t a firecraft forum, i’m just letting you know that my rt700 will be delivered today.
Thanks for informing the peanut gallery!

Is your location on, on your phone? Mine wouldn't log on unless it was on. You may have done this already, just askin'

I had Wi-Fi issues when I first got my 700. It would connect and then drop. My grill is kept in my garage. If I wheeled the grill over in front of the door into the house I could connect and hold a signal. Only problem was that I couldn't cook there. I spoke to Zach and he recommended a range extender. Installed the range extender and my Wi-Fi issues were solved. I also needed to change a setting on my Comcast gateway/router so that it would separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz signals since the grill can only connect to 2.4.

During the pandemic last spring there was another user that I worked with for several hours trying to get him to connect. Finally found out he had a really old Verizon router that couldn't connect to the extender.

In both cases it wasn't the grill but the technology in our homes that was the problem. It was god awful frustrating until we worked through the problem so I feel your pain.

If it's dropping due to weak signal strength, an extender or similar is probably the answer. If you can't get it to set up initially and you have a pretty modern/recent wifi network, it's probably the poorly written app. There's a good explanation here: https://pocketables.com/2018/05/how-to-set-up-that-2-4ghz-device-on-your-dual-ghz-network.html

It's incredibly annoying (I have a Joule with the same issues, but at least it has bluetooth). I'm not sure why developers can't just use SSID instead of the wireless MAC, as either are easy to spoof from a security perspective.

You need a WiFi mesh system setup like Google's, they provide great coverage everywhere. I put one in my garage and have great signal in garage and outside now.
But I have hard time understanding how not being able to use the app changes the cook, just use the controller on the 590 to set temp.
I have a Bull and the WiFi has worked from day one with no problems. Most time I forget about the app and just go out to set temp on grill. Give me an excuse to check out the food grilling and grab a beer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back