Stampede My 590 blew up tonight

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I cooked 8-hour pork butt today. Then creaked up the heat to cook some jalapeno poppers after the jalapeno poppers were pulled off The grill started to have a a ton of smoke and then the lid blew up. It scared the crap out of me. Does anyone one know what happened? I hope my grill is not broken

My wife shut it off and the fan was still blowing when it blew. I mean it exploded and blew the cover up

They do this. It happens when the pellet hopper gets overloaded with pellets and then all the pellets start burning. They start to smoke like crazy and then boom. Your grill is fine.

Thank you so much for your reply I could not get by without my 590

Glad no one was injured.

Until now, I've never heard of one blowing up on shut down only on start up.

Curious about the best/safest way to shut down from a higher temp cook.
I read to lower the temp to let the temp settle down prior to shutting it off otherwise the auger tube may catch fire.
I also read if you leave the lid open, when shutting down, especially if there is some wind, the wind may blow embers into the auger tube catching it on fire.

I don't now if any of these issues are pellet quality issues, I've been using Lumber Jack, which seem to be good quality and I get them locally at a very low cost.

So far, I've never experience any blow ups or auger fires, though if using it at higher temps, I've been lowering the temp prior shutting it down.

I open the lid on startup and shutdown. On shutdown lower the temp to extreme smoke, and allow it to cool a bit before hitting shutdown mode ...
Here's a good explanation video.
This is a good example of why I keep my lid open when I shut it down..

Glad you all are okay..
The RT-590 users manual says to leave the lid closed both during startup and shutdown, which I've always done without issue.
I open the lid on startup and shutdown. On shutdown lower the temp to extreme smoke, and allow it to cool a bit before hitting shutdown mode ...
Here's a good explanation video.
This video is for a grill with different shutdown routine then the reqteq. The grill in the video burns all the pellets in the fire pot then turns off where the rectec burns all the pellets in the firepot, but then dumps some pellets back in the fire pot as the last part of the shutdown process. Reqteq recommends leaving the lid closed both during startup and shutdown, yet many people are saying to leave the lid open. You'd think the manufacturer of the grill knows the best way to start and stop their grills :unsure:

This is usually caused by just turning off the grill after a hi heat cook. The grill goes into a cool down routine but because the grill was 500 degrees it does not have enough time to actually completely cool then the computer refills the burn pot. All those pellets sit there building heat till they ignite at once.
After a hi heat cook 400 to 500 degrees I do a ramped down cooling process. Turn grill down to 350(you could leave lid open during this process). when grill actually reaches 350 turn it down to 200 (shut lid if you had it open before) . When grill reaches 200 turn it off. It will enter the cool down phase, fan on after 300 seconds IIRC it will refill fire pot with pellets and shut itself off

After reading these posts I still don't see a reason for an explosion that makes sense to me. Burning back into the hopper, sure, but not an explosion.

If it were me, I'd call RT and see if they have a plausible reason. Maybe something like a grease fire.

Smoke is a by-product of incomplete combustion. The pellets that smolder create smoke. If the pellets aren’t completely consumed through the process the smoke becomes fuel. This happens in a house fire. The result is a smoke explosion. The fuel/air mixture hits the proper ignition temperature and boom. The grill is built so well that it holds the smoke(fuel) in the barrel and it lights off. The only way to prevent this type of explosion is venting, plus the proper shut down sequence.

I’ve had this happen once too. Was a dumbass and let it run out of pellets diluting a heat up to full. Cleaned it out, filled it up, never had an issue since. Lesson learned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back