Mother's Day BBQ

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Here's my Mother's Day contribution to the family get together today.

Just put the ribs on at 8:00 am. Mix of equal parts of RecTec Ult Blend (Oak), LJ Cherry, Cookin Pellets Apple Mash. The smoke tube has straight cherry. The rub is John Henry's Texas Brisket rub.
20210509_080626.jpg

Whatcha smokin?

Wrap time at the 5 hour point. 3 hours at 225F, 2 hours at 250. Had to accelerate the cook for this afternoon's family feed.
1620590288239483933940843617985.jpg

Also, trying a suedo "johnny Trigg" style wrap. But I just couldn't get behind Parkay. So, this is Kerrygold Irish butter.
16205903243626309570469309549709.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, enjoy!

Also, trying a suedo "johnny Trigg" style wrap. But I just couldn't get behind Parkay. So, this is Kerrygold Irish butter.
Those look great, I did the Johnny Trigg style and while they were amazing wife not happy about the parkay spray! We love Kerry Gold butter! I am curious if it worked OK, all my notes said butter will burn?

I did 4 racks of spareribs following the Recteq Cookbook 3:2:1 recipe. The ribs were falling apart at the foil unwrap at 5 hours & the cook was stopped at that point. My wife & daughter loved them (the most important thing), but they were a bit too sweet for my taste & had no "chew". My suspicion is that 225 degrees would have been better than the recipe's 275 degree cook temp. Kudos to everyone's cooks shared on the thread!

Those look great, I did the Johnny Trigg style and while they were amazing wife not happy about the parkay spray! We love Kerry Gold butter! I am curious if it worked OK, all my notes said butter will burn?
Since you're applying the butter in the wrap, it won't burn. If you recall, Trigg puts brown sugar, honey and Tiger sauce on when he wraps. Those components are more prone to burn than the butter. I actually didn't use brown sugar and honey. My memory is bad. I poured a coke in the wrapped ribs. Not sure that's attributible to Trigg.

But, to your question, the ribs were well received. I didn't care for the taste of the juices in the tray, which had a medicinal flavor from the coke. But that wasn't detectable on the ribs.

Seems like we all had the same idea
Momma wanted Babybacks
SO, for Sunday night ....
Six Racks of Babybacks on the Bull (that's 6 meals, it's just the two of us)
Ass-Spear-Grass
And Mash Taders

Momma, Monday night: "Do you mind having Ribs again tonight ?"
Me: "That's a Rhetorical Question, right ?"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back