Bull More searing wanted

Jim South

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone tried modifing the fire pot cover for better searing? Cooked pizza in Bull turned out great,but cheese didn't brown up.Cooked at 425 deg.Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

No not yet. I cannot lay a hand tossed Pizza on the searing grates, so I cooked it on a stone. Wish Rec tec would offer something like the Pitbull where a slide opens up the fire pot for better sear.

I got a cheap roll around outdoor cart at Home Goods here in NJ. Then I picked up a NexGrill two burner table top propane grill,all stainless steel . Looks very much like the Camp Chef sear station .Cost for table was $59.95. Cost for NexGrill was $98.95 with veterans discount. Cart is painted black metal and also has bottom shelf that propane tank fits on real nice. Used it a couple days ago on a reverse sear steak cook and it worked very well . Gets very hot real fast and sears real fast . Don't know what NexGrill life expectancy is but right now it works well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgril...p-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel-820-0033/206023898

That is how I sear. Works real good so far

grill1.jpg
grill2.jpg

Hey Jim. It seems like your question was more aimed towards how to get a better crunch on pizza when cooked in the RT Bull. I am not really sure how to best cook pizza as this is an item I have not yet tried to cook on my pit. But along the lines of sctdg's posting. When it comes to a steak, we love to smoke at low temp on my 680 until about 120-125. I then heat a cast iron skillet on a gasser side burner until very hot. Add a little ghee or clarified butter to the skillet, then the steak at 1 minute each side. Simple, seared, and outstanding.

The ever elusive "perfect" pizza without stepping up to a genuine wood fired pizza oven...…….been there, done that, even posted up a thread about my attempt on the RT. The challenge for getting browning on the cheese, and some char on the crusty edges for that matter, is sufficient heat from the top. I can't imagine that even opening a hatch over the firebox would do it as that might help heat up the stone better/faster, but not enough convection action of the correct type to get sufficient heat to the top like you get in a dome with flames licking off the "ceiling". I've even tried putting a second stone on a shelf just a few inches above the pizza to hopefully get reflected heat without a lot of success. It helped put a little char on the pepperoni (probably more to do with resident fat in the sausage), but not on the cheese (moisture content in play too), or the crust. I'm not too bright so I'll probably keep experimenting, but I suspect that I may end up looking for something like the Camp Chef pizza box that is supposedly designed to collect and intensify the heat above as well as below.

All that being said I'm liking the creative solutions above for adding sear stations. When I built my outdoor kitchen a couple years ago I did a Summerset gasser and added their infrared sear burner on the side. so when I got the RT I already had a solution.

I do pizza in my large egg at 650 degree . I cook on platesetter with legs down stone on top. Double O flour also helps to make perfect crust.

Pizza1.jpg
pizza2.jpg

I do pizza in my large egg at 650 degree . I cook on platesetter with legs down stone on top. Double O flour also helps to make perfect crust.
Looks like you're using fresh mozzarella, moisture content probably keeps it from browning like op is looking for...……….....mine come out mostly like yours which is fine with me, but I still feel the need to experiment. Crazy, I know.................

I try to use fresh Mozzarella as much as possible . It was always fresh from when I was a kid in the 50's living in the Bronx shopping at Arthur ave. Great cheese store there back then .

I used a pizza steel the other night with the Bull set at 500. I was very happy with the crust even though it was store bought frozen pizza dough. Crispy with good color. Once my local grocery store gets some semolina and yeast in stock I plan to make my own.

@Gotbbq told me about a stone he uses that seemed to produce good crust. Emile Henry Pizza Stones They're a little pricey but I had a rebate card from somewhere so I have one on order.

I try to use fresh Mozzarella as much as possible . It was always fresh from when I was a kid in the 50's living in the Bronx shopping at Arthur ave. Great cheese store there back then .
Good sandwiches at Mikes. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back