More Pastrami

tpack

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Smoked a little pastrami on the REC TEC yesterday. Cooked 2 nice flats that weighted about 10.5 pounds. Came out with 7.2 pounds of sliced pastrami. I put in the fridge over night and sliced it today.

full-8162-294633-pas.jpg

full-8162-294634-past.jpg

Now on my to-do list.
Looks amazing.
I have made pastrami several times since getting my 590 and this is the prettiest pink colored pastrami so far. It is a tad salty , but after I use it to make a sandwich it should balance out the flavor since I will not be adding any more salt.

I have made pastrami several times since getting my 590 and this is the prettiest pink colored pastrami so far. It is a tad salty , but after I use it to make a sandwich it should balance out the flavor since I will not be adding any more salt.
Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Would you mind sharing your recipe?
I got this from Theamazingrib.com website.
You need to rinse very good after removing from brine. Some people even soak in fresh water for a couple of hours to remove some of the salt. I recommend this your first time to ensure it is not to salty. The website has lots of good info if you are going to make corned beef, pastrami or cured bacon.

About 4 pounds of beef brisket

1 gallon distilled water
8 ounces Morton's kosher salt, by weight (about 7/8 cup)
2 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
Optional ingredients
1 cup brown sugar, preferably dark
5 tablespoons pickling spices
4 cloves garlic, smashed or pressed

Rub
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

I got this from Theamazingrib.com website.
You need to rinse very good after removing from brine. Some people even soak in fresh water for a couple of hours to remove some of the salt. I recommend this your first time to ensure it is not to salty. The website has lots of good info if you are going to make corned beef, pastrami or cured bacon.

About 4 pounds of beef brisket

1 gallon distilled water
8 ounces Morton's kosher salt, by weight (about 7/8 cup)
2 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
Optional ingredients
1 cup brown sugar, preferably dark
5 tablespoons pickling spices
4 cloves garlic, smashed or pressed

Rub
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
Thank you! I'll have to put this on the list to try.

In the midst of following this technique as we speak. Brined for 7 days, desalinated in clean water for a day, applied the rub and let sit for two days (mainly because it was pouring rain), and I'm just about to the stall now. I can only hope mine comes out half as nice as the pictures.

Update...

I pulled the pastrami in pouring rain last night. I wrapped and ultimately stuck it in the fridge. I pulled it out of the fridge today, hacked it down the middle, and then steamed half of it back to an internal temperature of around 140. Sliced and put on rye bread with homemade Russian dressing, sauerkraut, and some Jarlsberg cheese. Grilled in a skillet in butter. Mission accomplished!

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpeg
    IMG_0747.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
Update...

I pulled the pastrami in pouring rain last night. I wrapped and ultimately stuck it in the fridge. I pulled it out of the fridge today, hacked it down the middle, and then steamed half of it back to an internal temperature of around 140. Sliced and put on rye bread with homemade Russian dressing, sauerkraut, and some Jarlsberg cheese. Grilled in a skillet in butter. Mission accomplished!
That sure looks good! What was your cook time and temp? Same question for the OP, @tpack? You guys are making me want to try this.

Mine took about 10 hours at 250. I probably could've let it go a little longer as the flat was heading north of 205 and the point was in the 190's. The full packer brisket was 14.25 lbs before trimming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back