Stampede Modifying or Adding a shelf to the RT 590 Stampede.

ARCbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
(I posted some of this in an answer to an earlier discussion)

RT590 SHELF MODIFICATION OR ADDING A SHELF

PROBLEM

The current RecTeq shelf for the 590 Stampede is somewhat narrow (10 inches) and the included brackets position the shelf next to the grill. This location reduces the useful width to around 8 inches. In addition, the lid handles protrude over the shelf which further reduce accessibility. Lowering the shelf requires either pushing in the spring-loaded pins and/or flexing the brackets to disengage the pins. Either of these actions is awkward. When the shelf is in the lowered position the brackets protrude out which could potentially poke holes in a cover over time.

SOLUTION

Since the shelf is stainless steel (and I already had it), I wanted to continue to use it, but relocate it away from the grill for better accessibility. This requires replacing the brackets with brackets that have longer horizontal arms. Other bracket requirements are stainless steel construction and an easy-to-use disengagement mechanism for lowering. I also wanted to use the current bolts in the front legs for attaching the bracket and not make any changes to the grill.

If someone doesn’t have the current RT shelf, then other materials could be used. If they are combustible (wood), positioning the shelf away from the grill is even more important.

DISCUSSION

Stainless steel rackets with 14 inch arms were purchased from Amazon ($28). This allows the current RT shelf to be located 4 inches away from the grill. The spring pin mechanism (on the underside of the shelf) spot welds were cut away using a thin sharp chisel. Notches were cut in the flange at the rear corners to allow the shelf to sit directly on the bracket arms. Also a small section was cut on the left and right rear corners on the flange to clean the bracket mechanism when lowered. Shelf was drilled for 4 bolt holes to match existing holes in the bracket arm. An existing hole in the bracket vertical arm was enlarged to accommodate the current RT leg bolt. No modifications were made to the grill.

If I had not already purchased the RT shelf, I would have probably used wood & waterproofed it. Then the total cost would have been much less. I might have purchased 16 inch brackets, but still located the shelf 3 to 4 inches from the grill. In my opinion the RT shelf is overpriced for the utility it provides. Perhaps simply offering brackets for the DIY owners would be one solution, and separately offering a SS shelf to fit. They may be worried about liability if someone put a wood shelf on their brackets & it caught fire. There are many other bracket choices on the internet as well, so it is fairly easy to find something. Other competitors either include a shelf or offer something less expensive.

Pictures -

Attachments

• 1605272829323.png
    1605272829323.png
    403.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    461.5 KB · Views: 208
This is a great idea. I had the same thoughts after installing my shelf this summer. Hardly any usable space and only a matter of time before my cook slides right off the front when loading/unloading the grill. Also the bottle opener is at a very weird angle and pretty much unusable if you don't want to spill your drink.

For $28, this is a no brainer. Appreciate the step by step details!

One other hint: If you have the RT shelf and buy the same brackets that I did, then drill slightly oversize holes in the vertical legs of the bracket for the RT bolt. This lets you locate the brackets toward the inside edge of each leg (brackets closer together). Then modify the shelf as described & locate the shelf on the brackets. There should be some clearance between the outside shelf flange and the bracket support pieces. This is so nothing rubs as the shelf is raised and lowered. Once you are satisfied, secure the shelf on the brackets with some kind of clamps (I have Irwin quick release clamps). Then use a black marker from underneath to mark the location of the bracket holes on the bottom side of the RT shelf. Then drill shelf for mounting holes. I used 10-32 x 1/2" SS round head SS fasteners.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your comments.

Here's a couple more pix showing various items on the relocated shelf for perspective. Pizza stone is 16 1/2" round, cutting board is 15" x 20". Brackets are easily strong enough (rated at 330 lbs) that I can tip the entire smoker by pushing on the front edge of the shelf. With an empty pellet hopper that calculates to about 43 pounds to tip the grill (123 pounds empty weight) at the front shelf edge, or about 52 lbs if the hopper is full. Much more if you are pushing on the center (51 lbs & 63 lbs), or back edge (80 lbs & 100 lbs). More weight than I'll be cooking.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1420.JPG
    IMG_1420.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 142
Nice presentation. Just an FYI, there are at least half a dozen other threads on this site alone that deal with the other options you suggest other than using the shallow stainless shelf from RT, dating back nearly 2 years. This is not to degrade your effort, merely for any other readers intrigued to know, there are several viewpoints to learn from available with some searching of the other posts.

I looked at few earlier posts as well. Rescuing the stainless shelf so it is more useable was the main point. After spending $$$ on it, I didn't want to continue using an inadequate shelf (nearly had a pan of BBQ ribs tip over), nor throw it away. Since I didn't see any other posts talking about modifying it, I thought it might be worthwhile to describe what I did. There are lots of repetitive posts on this site that I enjoy reading - even if the subject has a lot of history and lots of opinions. For example, the RT590 smoke vents have lots of posts and opinions. (I will be trying and perhaps posting a different solution to that sometime in the near future.)

Hats off to RecTeq. I sent them pictures and a lot of detail about the shelf mod and some other thoughts. Two people on their staff were very complimentary & appreciated the response. Even if they never change anything, they were nice enough to respond (what other company would do that). I find that pointing out some deficiencies in a product in a nice way and suggesting or showing improvements or options usually is well regarded. My experience in mechanical engineering (40 years) started by being around very experienced designers - the best ones always appreciated suggestions and loved that someone showed an interest. Some of those discussions were priceless because I learned a lot more than they did.

(I posted some of this in an answer to an earlier discussion)

RT590 SHELF MODIFICATION OR ADDING A SHELF

PROBLEM

The current RecTeq shelf for the 590 Stampede is somewhat narrow (10 inches) and the included brackets position the shelf next to the grill. This location reduces the useful width to around 8 inches. In addition, the lid handles protrude over the shelf which further reduce accessibility. Lowering the shelf requires either pushing in the spring-loaded pins and/or flexing the brackets to disengage the pins. Either of these actions is awkward. When the shelf is in the lowered position the brackets protrude out which could potentially poke holes in a cover over time.

SOLUTION

Since the shelf is stainless steel (and I already had it), I wanted to continue to use it, but relocate it away from the grill for better accessibility. This requires replacing the brackets with brackets that have longer horizontal arms. Other bracket requirements are stainless steel construction and an easy-to-use disengagement mechanism for lowering. I also wanted to use the current bolts in the front legs for attaching the bracket and not make any changes to the grill.

If someone doesn’t have the current RT shelf, then other materials could be used. If they are combustible (wood), positioning the shelf away from the grill is even more important.

DISCUSSION

Stainless steel rackets with 14 inch arms were purchased from Amazon ($28). This allows the current RT shelf to be located 4 inches away from the grill. The spring pin mechanism (on the underside of the shelf) spot welds were cut away using a thin sharp chisel. Notches were cut in the flange at the rear corners to allow the shelf to sit directly on the bracket arms. Also a small section was cut on the left and right rear corners on the flange to clean the bracket mechanism when lowered. Shelf was drilled for 4 bolt holes to match existing holes in the bracket arm. An existing hole in the bracket vertical arm was enlarged to accommodate the current RT leg bolt. No modifications were made to the grill.

If I had not already purchased the RT shelf, I would have probably used wood & waterproofed it. Then the total cost would have been much less. I might have purchased 16 inch brackets, but still located the shelf 3 to 4 inches from the grill. In my opinion the RT shelf is overpriced for the utility it provides. Perhaps simply offering brackets for the DIY owners would be one solution, and separately offering a SS shelf to fit. They may be worried about liability if someone put a wood shelf on their brackets & it caught fire. There are many other bracket choices on the internet as well, so it is fairly easy to find something. Other competitors either include a shelf or offer something less expensive.

Pictures -
Wow really nice looking great job

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back