Modifying GrillGrates for the Bullseye

Waterboy

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I know I’ve seen where someone on the forum had rounded the corners on GrillGrates for a 700 or 590 so they could use them on the 380 but can’t find the post. If anyone reading this has done the mod I’d appreciate any info as to how you laid it out and what you used to cut them. I added a 380 to my arsenal and want to modify my existing GrillGrates for the 700 to work on the 380.

It would be helpful to know what tools you have at your disposal. The aluminum GrillGrates are non-ferrous, so they can be cut on many carbide woodworking power tools. I’m a woodworker and have custom-cut a set of GrillGrates on my table saw to fit a countertop kitchen oven.

p.s. Using tools like a grinder or a sander to round the corners of aluminum will not be a pleasurable experience.

It would be helpful to know what tools you have at your disposal. The aluminum GrillGrates are non-ferrous, so they can be cut on many carbide woodworking power tools. I’m a woodworker and have custom-cut a set of GrillGrates on my table saw to fit a countertop kitchen oven.

p.s. Using tools like a grinder or a sander to round the corners of aluminum will not be a pleasurable experience.
Thanks for the response Greg. I do some woodworking as well though don’t have the shop and tools I’d like to have. I have a band saw, table saw, routers, jig saws as well as grinders and sanders

I’m not a metals guy so wasn’t sure what I should or shouldn’t use with the anodized aluminum. I was thinking of using my band saw and cleaning up the arc with a light sanding or grinding. What would you recommend? Also was looking for what others had done as far as layout.

Welllll, if you happen to live in Evans (recteq HQ), they had some "scratch and dent" Grill Grates -- the boxes that they come in, were pretty chewed up, but the Grill Grates were fine, and they were selling them off for half-off. I picked up mine, for my 380. They are not shipping scratch and dent stuff.

I could be mistaken, but I think that the blades you can cut aluminum with need to be carbide. Most router bits and table saw blades are carbide, bandsaw blades usually are not. I have two bandsaws, one of which has a carbide blade. I also have a set of GrillGrates for the Bullseye, so I have a pattern… Send me a PM if you want to discuss this further.

PS: in addition to the recteq S&D sale mentioned above, GrillGrates also has S&D sales occasionally.

I’m on the west coast so unfortunately taking a run by RecTeq HQ is not in the cards. I have some carbide router bits and jigsaw bits so I can use one of those. Thanks for the input.

Welllll, if you happen to live in Evans (recteq HQ), they had some "scratch and dent" Grill Grates -- the boxes that they come in, were pretty chewed up, but the Grill Grates were fine, and they were selling them off for half-off. I picked up mine, for my 380. They are not shipping scratch and dent stuff.
Do you know if they had some for the 590 available. I live down the street from them.

I know I’ve seen where someone on the forum had rounded the corners on GrillGrates for a 700 or 590 so they could use them on the 380 but can’t find the post. If anyone reading this has done the mod I’d appreciate any info as to how you laid it out and what you used to cut them. I added a 380 to my arsenal and want to modify my existing GrillGrates for the 700 to work on the 380.
Are you opposed to buying the set they sell for the 380? I’m guessing you want to be able to use one set for both grills?

I figure I have a set that can work in both grills and I don’t see a need to have two sets. So if I can make the set I have into the set I want it’s a win!

Do you know if they had some for the 590 available. I live down the street from them.
I do not remember seeing them, but since I don't own a 590 YET, I was not looking for them. They did have some of the large ICER coolers - nothing wrong with the cooler, just the box was messed up, and they had to make sure.

Regular aluminum does Not require carbide cutting tools. It cuts very easily. Anodized aluminum might need carbide but I don't think so. I'd try the bandsaw to cut them. At worst I think you would lose a blade. Try a very small cut on a corner first to find out.

Ok, I do live near RecTeq, but I have grates in all 4 of my grills and bought most of them at scratch and dent sales, which, you never know when the sale will be!
Please just go to Harbor Freight and buy a 9 dollar 4 inch grinder and a pack or one metal cutting disk, with the abrasive type of disks you will also be able to smooth the edges of the cut.
I am the QC manager for a mechanical contractor and all we do is cut metal and weld it.
Enjoy!
😀

I can fit two regular sized grill grates in my Bullseye, for what it’s worth
Yeah I have used two grates for some chicken thighs and it worked well. The problem is there isn’t much room on the stock grate when you have two GrillGrates in the middle. I want to Round the corners on one section so I can push them to one side of the grill and still have half of the stock grate available.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back