Mobile Galley for RT-590

Cook-Out

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
Something we are thinking about to make cooking on the RT-590 a little easier. The original design was for the Traeger Pro22…we just stretched it a bit to accommodate the longer width of the RT-590. What do you think?

316219F3-790E-466D-92F5-74A7F6FF41F4.jpeg
30C79581-E5F2-47E5-9628-685F82A3B1B6.jpeg
18B5CEFC-ECD1-4051-8E71-83A757FFC3E2.jpeg

I've read a concern about the control panel being inaccessible with this design. We measure 11" from the control panel to the front face of the cabinet. My forearm is 16" from finger tip to inside the elbow. Is it somewhat difficult to get to? Yes, but it is in no way inaccessible or blocked. Here's what it looks like (greatly simplified) when you bend down with the cabinet door open:

Cook-Out3 - control panel.png

Last edited:
That looks great....I'd buy it for my 590. Maybe you should consider Etsy 👍
Glad you like it. I am on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/131791...fecycle-ss_rpr-1-favorites-3&utm_medium=email.

Granted, that listing shows the Traeger Pro22 design. Also the pricing is somewhat out of date. I was on the Recteq owners FB group but an admin didn't like that I commented with my URL and decided to block me. Check us out: www.Cook-Out.net. We have specs on the site. Where are you located?

Something we are thinking about to make cooking on the RT-590 a little easier. The original design was for the Traeger Pro22…we just stretched it a bit to accommodate the longer width of the RT-590. What do you think?View attachment 18413View attachment 18414View attachment 18415
Check out our sister companies for what we are doing for camper vans and overlanding 4x4s: www.Van-Mod.net, www.4WD-Mod.com. Same framing system used throughout including the Mobile Galley.

Very impressive. That would fit on my back porch/patio. Very well thought out...

Very impressive. That would fit on my back porch/patio. Very well thought out...
Glad you like it! The idea came out of needing an outdoor kitchen fit to our Traeger Pro22, but without dismantling the grill and using the same T-slot aluminum extrusion framing system I use for my other side hustles. Now we have the project on hold as we think about going Recteq. The 700 is more than we need but the 590 is perfect and just enough larger than the Pro22 to make a difference.

Not something I'd want, but as an engineer, I have a few comments, don't take them the wrong way, what you have is creative.
  • Can't easily view/use the front display or probe ports.
  • Why is the work surface on the left not the same exact height as the hopper lid to make it a continuous work area suface?
  • If I were to design it, I'd have the option to make it L-shaped, where the L goes to the right of the grill therefore freeing up the front panel display.
  • If not L-shape, put all the work areas and cabinets to the right of the grill, not the left so the front panel and hopper are fully exposed.
  • The shelf directly in front of the grill is so shallow, it wouldn't be very useful.

Not something I'd want, but as an engineer, I have a few comments, don't take them the wrong way, what you have is creative.
  • Can't easily view/use the front display or probe ports.
  • Why is the work surface on the left not the same exact height as the hopper lid to make it a continuous work area suface?
  • If I were to design it, I'd have the option to make it L-shaped, where the L goes to the right of the grill therefore freeing up the front panel display.
  • If not L-shape, put all the work areas and cabinets to the right of the grill, not the left so the front panel and hopper are fully exposed.
  • The shelf directly in front of the grill is so shallow, it wouldn't be very useful.
Great feedback! Like previously stated, this is almost exactly the same as our design for the Traeger Pro22. As such, the control panel is accessed by opening the cabinet door. Not ideal but also not an issue if using a Meater probe (like we do) or the RT app for control. The height doesn’t match the hopper height because if it did the countertop would be an uncomfortable height for working. We actually like the hopper at a different height as it allows for a place to put a pan or tray up and out of the way. For our backyard, an L-shaped layout doesn’t work. We did design a version for the Traeger 575, but it’s just a mirror image as the hopper on the 575 is on the right side. The front shallow shelf in front of the grill is a good place to drop gloves or your Meater block and not really meant to hold a meat tray. All of that said, we are happy to design something custom if that’s what a client desires. We have designed and built a lot of custom cabinets.

Last edited:
Great feedback! Like previously stated, this is almost exactly the same as our design for the Traeger Pro22. As such, the control panel is accessed by opening the cabinet door. Not ideal but also not an issue if using a Meater probe (like we do) or the RT app for control. The height doesn’t match the hopper height because if it did the countertop would be an uncomfortable height for working. We actually like the hopper at a different height as it allows for a place to put a pan or tray up and out of the way. For our backyard, an L-shaped layout doesn’t work. We did design a version for the Traeger 575, but it’s just a mirror image as the hopper on the 575 is on the right side. The front shallow shelf in front of the grill is a good place to drop gloves or your Meater block and not really meant to hold a meat tray. All of that said, we are happy to design something custom if that’s what a client desires. We have designed and built a lot of custom cabinets.
Why not change the design to better match the 590 instead of using the same design as grill with a much different configuration? For my use cases, blocking the controls, display and probe ports would not work well.
A shelf in front of the cookbox that's deep enough for a food tray would be much more useful than a shelf to place gloves, who wants to take dripping food off the grill moving it all the way to a side shelf 🤷‍♂️

Why not change the design to better match the 590 instead of using the same design as grill with a much different configuration? For my use cases, blocking the controls, display and probe ports would not work well.
A shelf in front of the cookbox that's deep enough for a food tray would be much more useful than a shelf to place gloves, who wants to take dripping food off the grill moving it all the way to a side shelf 🤷‍♂️
I guess because it’s the design we like. The front shelf is 8.5" deep compared to the 10" deep RT-590 shelf accessory...I suppose we could make the cabinet 31.5" deep instead of 30" but that just increases the reach to the control panel. Extending the Dekton 1.5" at the grill shelf is definitely doable and I think preferable. At 32" wide, its 4.25" wider than the accessory shelf. That’s why we do custom work…different strokes for different folks.

Cook-Out3 - shelf extended.png

Last edited:
I guess because it’s the design we like. The front shelf is 8.5" deep compared to the 10" deep RT-590 shelf accessory...I suppose we could make the cabinet 31.5" deep instead of 30" but that just increases the reach to the control panel. Extending the Dekton 1.5" at the grill shelf is definitely doable and I think preferable. At 32" wide, its 4.25" wider than the accessory shelf. That’s why we do custom work…different strokes for different folks.
The "guess because it’s the design we like" is not confident inspiring. The stock RT shelf is a joke since it's not deep enough to be very useful and yours is even worse, I don't think you get it, it's not the width, it's the depth. But "guess" what you think will be the most useful design for people. I was simply providing constructive criticism and blocking the front panel is a deal breaker for me, not everyone is using the app and or 3rd party probes, especially for short cooks, so exposing the front panel is important for many.

The "guess because it’s the design we like" is not confident inspiring. The stock RT shelf is a joke since it's not deep enough to be very useful and yours is even worse, I don't think you get it, it's not the width, it's the depth. But "guess" what you think will be the most useful design for people. I was simply providing constructive criticism and blocking the front panel is a deal breaker for me, not everyone is using the app and or 3rd party probes, especially for short cooks, so exposing the front panel is important for many.
I’m pretty sure you’re not a customer and I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. I’m not defending the design that works for me…I don’t expect it to work for everyone. It clearly doesn’t work for you and that’s fine. If someone wants something different, I’ll design to that client’s specs. The only reason I shared the design on this forum is to show what is possible. Just one possibility. Last reply on this thread. Peace brother.

I’m pretty sure you’re not a customer and I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. I’m not defending the design that works for me…I don’t expect it to work for everyone. It clearly doesn’t work for you and that’s fine. If someone wants something different, I’ll design to that client’s specs. The only reason I shared the design on this forum is to show what is possible. Just one possibility. Last reply on this thread. Peace brother.
I'm glad you did post your design here; it provides some food for thought. It is always enlightening to see new ideas and consider new approaches. I am in the early stages of designing an outdoor kitchen that will accommodate my RT 340 pellet smoker and new Napoleon gas grill.

It is always useful to see different approaches and to glean good ideas from what others have done. And, it is just as useful to identify things that wouldn't work for me and find ways to avoid them. I'd much rather pick up a couple of potential good ideas from a project that otherwise wouldn't meet my needs than to write that project off as a failure. But, that's just me, I guess.

I'm glad you did post your design here; it provides some food for thought. It is always enlightening to see new ideas and consider new approaches. I am in the early stages of designing an outdoor kitchen that will accommodate my RT 340 pellet smoker and new Napoleon gas grill.

It is always useful to see different approaches and to glean good ideas from what others have done. And, it is just as useful to identify things that wouldn't work for me and find ways to avoid them. I'd much rather pick up a couple of potential good ideas from a project that otherwise wouldn't meet my needs than to write that project off as a failure. But, that's just me, I guess.
Appreciate the support...thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back