Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I’ve been making a variation of this pot roast for years now, both on a grill and also braised in my kitchen. It’s absolutely a favorite here, as it hits all the high notes-great flavor, low cost, not a lot of fuss to make, and can be eaten by itself, on sandwiches, make beef stew from the leftovers, etc. In the version I made most often in the past, I used a bottle of Cheerwine instead of the Au Jus, and I never used any peppers. This version is one that Chef Greg at recteq posted a video on back in December, and it’s quite good.

I started with a 3.5# chuck roast, and seasoned both sides with Ben’s Heifer Dust and Boars Night Out White Lightning. This went on the Bullseye, 500 degrees for 8 minutes each side to put a nice crust on the roast.
947266B1-6164-4F97-AEB2-3157F15D93DE.jpeg

9CAB82CF-98E8-4BE4-B00B-F4B7F8E7E568.jpeg

C480DF96-4744-4ADE-A446-91F40FA99283.jpeg

While that it cooking, I prep the Au Jus in the hotel pan I will cook the roast in. The mix includes 1 large white onion, rough chopped, 1 packet McCormick Au Jus mix, 1 cup water, and about 12 large pepperoncini peppers, chopped. After the roast has seared, I turned the Bullseye down to 275* (I would use 300* if cooking on a different grill or oven), and put the pan on.
F2D53176-A494-4FB5-8533-612A5F62EFF2.jpeg

F966BE54-4922-43A4-8D6B-407C267120BD.jpeg

The low and slow part of the cook will be at least 4-5 hours until probe tender. Temp here is not important, because it will be somewhere over 200* You can take it off sooner if you want a roast you can slice, or leave it on longer for a roast you can shred just like pulled pork. Do keep an eye on the cook to make sure your pan doesn’t run dry. This hotel pan is perfectly sized for a roast, so I usually don’t have that problem.

Meanwhile, on the RT-340 I baked some Yukon Gold potatoes to smash, as well as carrots, yellow squash, and sliced tomatoes.

DA2DB788-7C21-405A-A531-057D663470BB.jpeg
0BDA0E86-B1E9-42A2-858B-6624EF68837E.jpeg
F3B724C8-A63F-4F1C-BCAE-9F7F74ABC506.jpeg
Here’s the final product on the table, along with some chopped summer coleslaw. This did not suck!

Last edited:
Funny that you posted this. We are planning on trying this with the ranch seasoning version of the recipe.

Going for the same tomorrow. I will sear on Bullseye and and cook in slow cooker but will use McCormick's beef stew mix instead of Au Jus.
No hate mail! Remember, I seared it on the Bullseye 😆

Greg,

How long does it typically take to make? I'll probably smoke the roast for an hour vs searing because its too cold outside to be messing with the Bullseye. I'm gonna throw the blanket over the Trailblazer and cook that way.

Greg,

How long does it typically take to make? I'll probably smoke the roast for an hour vs searing because its too cold outside to be messing with the Bullseye. I'm gonna throw the blanket over the Trailblazer and cook that way.
This one took 2.5 hours plus the 16 minutes to sear, and frankly it could have used another 30 minutes in the pan but I was ready to eat! The crust from a sear adds a lot of flavor to this IMO, so personally I‘d try to replicate that if possible. Perhaps a pre-heated cast iron skillet in your RT-340, set to max temp, for 8 minutes per side?

Ok will do on the sear. Have you tried the back side of grill grates for the sear??

I can get my Trailblazer close to 600 I think its small size allows it to got hotter than the bull. I only did it once, been doing high temp stuff on Bullseye or harder before that.

Tonight’s leftovers from the MPR. I made a stew by adding chicken broth, seared carrots, mustard greens, and simmered for about an hour. For the last 30 minutes I added the pasta and topped with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

CB1FB1BA-86C3-4EB6-9948-26C976A62E10.jpeg

This is a great recipe and definitely gonna be make again. Had to pull a little early it stalled really bad. But was still awesome.

I’ve been making a variation of this pot roast for years now, both on a grill and also braised in my kitchen. It’s absolutely a favorite here, as it hits all the high notes-great flavor, low cost, not a lot of fuss to make, and can be eaten by itself, on sandwiches, make beef stew from the leftovers, etc. In the version I made most often in the past, I used a bottle of Cheerwine instead of the Au Jus, and I never used any peppers. This version is one that Chef Greg at recteq posted a video on back in December, and it’s quite good.

I started with a 3.5# chuck roast, and seasoned both sides with Ben’s Heifer Dust and Boars Night Out White Lightning. This went on the Bullseye, 500 degrees for 8 minutes each side to put a nice crust on the roast.
View attachment 8299
View attachment 8300
View attachment 8301

While that it cooking, I prep the Au Jus in the hotel pan I will cook the roast in. The mix includes 1 large white onion, rough chopped, 1 packet McCormick Au Jus mix, 1 cup water, and about 12 large pepperoncini peppers, chopped. After the roast has seared, I turned the Bullseye down to 275* (I would use 300* if cooking on a different grill or oven), and put the pan on.
View attachment 8302
View attachment 8303
The low and slow part of the cook will be at least 2.5 hours until probe tender. Temp here is not important, because it will be somewhere over 200* You can take it off sooner if you want a roast you can slice, or leave it on longer for a roast you can shred just like pulled pork. Do keep an eye on the cook to make sure your pan doesn’t run dry. This hotel pan is perfectly sized for a roast, so I usually don’t have that problem.

Meanwhile, on the RT-340 I baked some Yukon Gold potatoes to smash, as well as carrots, yellow squash, and sliced tomatoes.

View attachment 8304View attachment 8305View attachment 8306Here’s the final product on the table, along with some chopped summer coleslaw. This did not suck!
Do you actually make the Au Jus or just empty the packet into the one cup of water? Should the roast be submerged in the liquid?

Do you actually make the Au Jus or just empty the packet into the one cup of water? Should the roast be submerged in the liquid?
I mix the packet into the cup of water along with the onion, peppers, and put that in the pan. In my setup, the roast is about 50% submerged in the liquid. I would recommend a pan that is not so large that the liquid is not much less than that on the roast, and check while cooking to see if more water needs to be added.

I mix the packet into the cup of water along with the onion, peppers, and put that in the pan. In my setup, the roast is about 50% submerged in the liquid. I would recommend a pan that is not so large that the liquid is not much less than that on the roast, and check while cooking to see if more water needs to be added.
Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back