Meater Probe

MikeyB

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes/etc.
Was thinking of asking for one for Christmas. I’m thinking it would be perfect for when I use my rotisserie over my firepit.
Thanks

Anyone have one? Likes/dislikes/etc.
Was thinking of asking for one for Christmas. I’m thinking it would be perfect for when I use my rotisserie over my firepit.
Thanks
I'm interested too. I was going to get the Meater block so I didn't have to deal with the wires from my Fireboard but I read a lot of mixed reviews. So I'm curious as well if anyone on the forum has them.

I have one. The original version. I got it specifically for use with my Weber kettle rotisserie. It works great in terms of temp monitoring. The probe is really thick and leaves a hole in the meat but that’s ok with me. The Bluetooth connects to my iPhone well but the range is absurdly limited. The new versions have corrected that though. In summary, I like it for the application I got it for. Glad I have it.

I have the MEATER Block (WiFi and 4 probes). Bought it about 6 months ago. Works great. You have to keep the block base unit within a few feet of the probes but then you get WiFi connection to your phone so can monitor it anywhere. I like that they provide the pit temp in addition to the meat temp. You can see how much the pit temp varies in different locations. The app provides an estimated time to reaching desired temp which I have found to be fairly accurate. They recharge off the AA batteries plugged into the back of the base unit so no cords, even for recharging. I would buy them again. My only dislikes are the larger hole size (not a real big deal) and there is a line on the probe (about 2/3rds of the way back on the probe) which the manufacturer says is the minimum distance the probe has to be put into the meat so the probe doesn’t get damaged during the cook. Not sure how critical that is but if you have a very small steak (like my wife likes) it can be difficult or almost impossible to get it into a proper position.

I did a lot of research and this is what I learned about it, correct me if I’m wrong

Block needs to be very close to probe
You then need a WiFi device like iPad or iPhone by the block, you then have your iPhone that you can carry around to have the range. It basically sets up as a repeater for the signal. But you’ll need these devices, and the apps on both. That’s a headache for me

Also read the ambient temp can’t be more than a hair over 500. If it goes over, the thermometer send Meater and email telling them this via your account you set up. So when it breaks from the heat, Meater knows you went too hot on it. So you can’t have it for any hot sear and pulling a thick thermometer out of my meat before searing is like slicing into it before resting, won’t do.
Perhaps I’m just missing why it’s necessary. The grill has 2 probes that don’t destroy the meat with a large hole, doesn’t have temp issues, and you don’t need multiple devices to get range out of it.

Perhaps you overlooked the part where he said it might be perfect with a rotisserie over a fire pit? The recteq probes are not going to help with that.
Didn’t miss that, it’s why I didn’t quote the original post in my response.
Chevys post wasn’t in regards to any specific use, so I posted what I have researched.
Since this is a thread about the Meater probe in general, not only chickens on a rotisserie

Didn’t miss that, it’s why I didn’t quote the original post in my response.
Chevys post wasn’t in regards to any specific use, so I posted what I have researched.
Since this is a thread about the Meater probe in general, not only chickens on a rotisserie
Perhaps then you should have quoted Chevys post?

Perhaps don’t be a jerk with this? Literally taking this way too seriously. Do you own stock in Meater??
Not being a jerk, but the conversation is certainly not jerk free. I’m just making a suggestion that if you want to respond to a post other that the original post, that is helpful to quote that post or reference the secondary poster in order for people to follow a conversation. :rolleyes:

Not being a jerk, but the conversation is certainly not jerk free. I’m just making a suggestion that if you want to respond to a post other that the original post, that is helpful to quote that post or reference the secondary poster in order for people to follow a conversation. :rolleyes:
👋

I have the Meater+, but not with the WiFi repeater (because I didn't need four probes). Accordingly the Meater+ works just fine in the kitchen, but all is lost when attempting to use it inside an outdoor grill. Without the WiFi repeater, it's just a Bluetooth device so effective distance is 30 feet max. Put it in a steel grill and it's considerably less range.

The thermometer itself, signal strength aside, seems to be a decent product. It is much thicker than a wired probe so it does leave a distinct .223 "bullet hole" in your finished product.

I did a lot of research and this is what I learned about it, correct me if I’m wrong

You then need a WiFi device like iPad or iPhone by the block, you then have your iPhone that you can carry around to have the range. It basically sets up as a repeater for the signal. But you’ll need these devices, and the apps on both. That’s a headache for me

Also read the ambient temp can’t be more than a hair over 500. If it goes over, the thermometer send Meater and email telling them this via your account you set up. So when it breaks from the heat, Meater knows you went too hot on it. So you can’t have it for any hot sear and pulling a thick thermometer out of my meat before searing is like slicing into it before resting, won’t do.
Perhaps I’m just missing why it’s necessary. The grill has 2 probes that don’t destroy the meat with a large hole, doesn’t have temp issues, and you don’t need multiple devices to get range out of it.
I personally do not like dealing with all the cables from the other probes (normally run 4-6 probes) and don't fully trust the Recteq probes as well as most of my cooks I need more than 2 probes.

The not being able to leave it in for searing doesn't bother me since I never have probes in my meat when I am cooking with higher heat. The meater probes aren't that much thicker either. My Fireboard probes are 4mm (.157") thick, so while it's larger, it's not hugely larger. I can see it maybe being a minor issue for steaks and chops but for brisket and pork butts I doubt it would make any difference.

Yes, the block needs to be sitting within a few feet of the grill or the probes lose signal to the block. You do not need to have and extra iPad or iPhone or anything like that near it. The block connects to my home WiFi directly, then I monitor it either on my iPhone or iPad, whichever I am using.
I totally missed what the ambient max temp was when I bought it. I suppose I just didn’t read the directions. I have seared meat many times with the probes in and so far there hasn’t been a problem but I would guess that may just be blind luck so far. I just looked it up and you are right, their website says the following “ Dual temperature sensors in each probe can monitor internal meat temperature up to 212°F and ambient / external temperature up to 527°F simultaneously.
I forgot to mention that I absolutely hate that MEATER gets my cook information uploaded to them automatically. I am going to see if I can disable that. I feel it is none of their business. I never think of it until they email me a summary of my cook the next day and I’m usually busy doing something else. I do not know at this point if I can disable that or not.
I also use the Signals cooking probes and monitor by Thermoworks. It does a great job as well. I just really like the lack of wires and simplicity of using the MEATER block more. I also like that the MEATER runs off AA batteries. The Thermoworks needs to be usb charged or plugged in. I find the convenience of AA batteries much more to my liking.
I would agree with you the MEATER block system isn’t necessary when you have probes integrated into the recteq or use another system such as the Thermoworks Signals. I bought this last spring when I was still using the first generation Traeger which had no such technology built into it. I do find that I still grab the MEATER block much more often because it is so easy to use, has 4 probes, can monitor internal temps easily while meat is resting and is very easy to cleanup. I throw the probes in the dishwasher when I am done using them.
Hope this helps in your decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back