Meat processing gear (meat grinders)

We butcher 2 hogs every year as well as other smaller butcher projects. And family friends butcher 5 hogs a year. We use a #32 Porkert grinder hooked to an electric motor. Not the safest rig but has a lot of power. Had been butchering more than that in years passed. It’s a good grinder and they make smaller. A small one could be hand turned but most people are on their own and that would be a 2 person job then. LEM makes some good equipment if I was in the market again I would check them out.

This is the one I used. It is one of the many recipes I received from Bill Dumas' class and I was very happy with the flavor and texture. I did double this recipe since my stuffer holds 10 lbs. I also made a slurry of pinot grigio and ice to equal 1/2 cup. I added the slurry to the meat after the second grind.

Day 1 - I trimmed the pork and added the seasonings. Let it sit overnight to marinate.
Day 2 - I did the grinding and linking and back into the fridge to rest overnight.
Day 3 - I cooked some and froze the rest.

View attachment 18062

Thanks Beth, made these earlier this week and tried them tonight, exactly what I wanted.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread; Just wanted to report that the meat mixer was totally worth the money. It saves you effort on arm, shoulder and back strain from mixing by hand, but it is a pretty huge attachment to wash up. There a bit of a trade off there, but it was worth it.
40lbs cevaps (cevapcici) - a little more than 500 (finger sized) sausages.

In the store, these are about $10/lb - I made them with $.88/lb pork shoulder and $4/lb ground beef in a 50/50 mix. So even with spices I'm sure to be under $3/lb. I'll have to pull some stuff out to smoke this weekend. Good thing I have lots of coolers and freezing overnight temps until I can rearrange the freezer space.

After enough information gathered, I pulled the trigger on a complete setup.

LEM #22 1hp grinder w/foot pedal
LEM 25# tilt mixer
LEM meat scale
LEM MAX 1000 vacuum sealer
Meat lugs
Hakka verticle sausage stuffer

All in -

Last edited:
After enough information gathered, I pulled the trigger ona complete setup.

LEM #22 1hp grinder w/foot pedal
LEM 25# tilt mixer
LEM meat scale
LEM MAX 1000 vacuum sealer
Meat lugs
Hakka verticle sausage stuffer

All in -
Wow! You went all out! You're going to have a lot of fun. Congrats!

i process alot of wild game also and make bulk sausages. i have nothing but great things to say about my cabela’s commercial grinder i use the #12 3/4 hp version but the have them in 1hp and even bigger. i use a manual hand crank meat mixer for my sausage but you can buy a meat mixer attachment for the cabela’s grinders that is powered by the grinder head. i also have the cube steak attachment and it works great. you can buy replacement blades for the cuber that will also cut your meat into strips for jerky. cabela’s also stocks all the replacement dies and blades for the grinders. check them out you will be impressed, my 3/4hp version is 52lbs the 1hp is 64lbs! they are built right https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1hp-carnivore-meat-grinderView attachment 18060View attachment 18061
Curious if you would recommend the 1 horse over the 3/4. Ill be doing 4 to 7 deer per year into all burger. Local shop cant find help anymore and time I start doing my own anyway I guess.

Reactions: NBK
Curious if you would recommend the 1 horse over the 3/4. Ill be doing 4 to 7 deer per year into all burger. Local shop cant find help anymore and time I start doing my own anyway I guess.
i typically do 4-5 animals a year. deer bear hogs. i honestly have absolutely no regrets with my 3/4hp cabela’s grinder. the 1hp model does have reverse which is good to clear a clog in the grinder but i have never been able to clog mine and i don’t cut off anything but the thick silver skin that you can not see through. i leave all the other silver skin.

Geez, you all are total enablers!

I first thought I needed a high end meat slicer after I started making pastrami from scratch.
Then, again thanks to all of you, I think I need one of those sous vide thingees.
Still eyeballing a PK Grill for charcoal.
Now, I go look up these grinders and sausage stuffers and am pretty sure I need those too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back