Matador Matador on Natural Gas

gwrace1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Matador
Just wondering if anyone has successfully converted their Matador from Propane to Natural Gas. Received this for free with the Cyper promotions. Can't see any sense in buying or refilling propane tanks when I have a gas line connection on the covered porch. Currently being used by our Napoleon gas grill but would not take much to split that line.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has successfully converted their Matador from Propane to Natural Gas. Received this for free with the Cyper promotions. Can't see any sense in buying or refilling propane tanks when I have a gas line connection on the covered porch. Currently in used by on Napoleon gas grill but would not take much to split that line.
This looks like a fun project, good luck 👍

That question is probably best answered by recteq support. I expect they have been asked that before.

If I had natural gas to my home, and the Matador burner is not compatible with NG, I’d probably pay for a NG burner to put on the Matador. I refuse to pay the high cost of propane tank swaps, and around here it’s a PITA to take them to be refilled.

Does not sound like recteq will support the conversion. So just starting to shop for a compatible NG burner. Same here on the propane tank refills. Had to drive out of the way to fill up our RV 30 lb bottles and it was pain until we sold it.

Last edited:
Does not sound like recteq will support the conversion. So just starting to shop for a compatible NG burner. Same here on the propane tank refills. Had to drive out of the way to fill up our RV 30 lb bottles and it was pain until we sold it.
Typically a regulator change and a larger orifice either drilled or replaced will do the trick. I wouldn't expect this to be supported in any way, that's what makes it fun!!

Typically a regulator change and a larger orifice either drilled or replaced will do the trick. I wouldn't expect this to be supported in any way, that's what makes it fun!!
Keeping tabs on this thread as I also would love to do this. While I am handy and can follow directions well, I don't know enough about gas appliances to venture into experimenting without instruction! So if someone does this successfully, let us know!

The wife kept bugging me to use the new Matador so I caved and bought a new Flame King 30 lb bottle from Walmart. I had a discount coupon so it only cost me about $40 delivered. They screwed up the first delivery and sent a 20lb bottle. Told me to keep it, did a store refund and sent the correct tank. So now have a 30lb primary and 20lb backup tank. She promised to fill them so I'm off the hook. Came in well packed and no damage. She also wanted to be able to move the grill around which would have been difficult with it connected to our natural gas line on the back porch. Our Napoleon gas grill was limited to a 10 foot line due to pressure and flow issues.

Nice! I’ve been debating on one of those 30# tanks ever since I got a Blackstone.
I have 2 of them on the front of the RV, they come in handy at times. I also have 7 or 8 smaller 20 pounders. I found many people were trying to get rid of the older tanks with the non OPD valves I gladly took them and did a exchange with Blue Rhino at Walmart and Home Depot, now I have tanks with the newer fillable OPD valves.

Last edited:
Yeah we had two of those 30lb tanks on our 15 year old RV. They were just a few months old when we sold the unit. I wish I had taken them off prior to sale. They expire at 12 years and need re certification.

I have 2 of them on the front of the RV, they come in handy at times. I also have 7 or 8 smaller 20 pounders. I found many people were trying to get rid of the older tanks with the non OPD valves I gladly took them and did a exchange with Blue Rhino at Walmart and Home Depot, now I have tanks with the newer fillable OPD valves.
I have two-20# tanks and would like a third, so that’s why I’m considering a 30#. The one thing holding me back is what @gwrace1 mentioned about re-certification. For some reason, I thought it was every 6 years. Heck, I’ll need re-certification before 12 years so I may just go for it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back