Matador as a paella burner

PhillySmoke

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Looking at the Matador for all the things that it is good at but wondering if anyone has tried using it as a heat source for a paella pan? Paella really needs a fairly even heat source across the entire bottom of the pan.

This is the piece of kit that they sell for doing a 22" pan which is about the size that works for me any my family but I would really like to have 1 device that can do both instead of 2 specialty devices.

https://www.paellapans.com/Burner-Model-400-with-Reinforced-Tripod-p/bn-tren400.htm

In looking at the pics of the Matador my concern is that the heat appears to be concentrated in the middle which, for paella, gives you cooked / burnt rice in the center and raw rice at the edges and likely both without socaratt.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I recently made a rift of paella on my Matador, I thought it worked fine. However, it was a smallish batch so loading it to full capacity may not give the same results..

link

I wondered the same thing! The wife and I were in Spain earlier this year and did a “Paella experience” through Air bnb. The host used a burner much like the one you have linked. Had to share the pics! I can post the recipe in the receipt section if you’d like.

Attachments

• E793A0EE-1FEB-4AE2-AD81-EB0EDD3695FE.jpeg
    E793A0EE-1FEB-4AE2-AD81-EB0EDD3695FE.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 117
  • CAF84687-AEC0-4EDC-8A05-DE3CBC3CBE81.jpeg
    CAF84687-AEC0-4EDC-8A05-DE3CBC3CBE81.jpeg
    883.7 KB · Views: 119
I wondered the same thing! The wife and I were in Spain earlier this year and did a “Paella experience” through Air bnb. The host used a burner much like the one you have linked. Had to share the pics! I can post the recipe in the receipt section if you’d like.

WOW - that is a sweet looking paella, way better than any attempt that I have made. I love the dish and am really trying to develop skill at making it so the recipe would be super helpful.

I have been doing it on an induction cooktop by straddling my paella pan across two "burners" and constantly turning it which is a huge PITA and yields sub-par results (at best). Last time I cleaned it I wasn't paying attention and got my pan too hot without any liquid. Warped it so am looking to upgrade.

I just posted it in the recipe section titled @PhillySmoke Paella Recipe.

The bnb host bought the burner and pan separate on Amazon. She said whatever burner you buy, buy a pan that’s 2-inches larger. Looks like the one you linked may come with a pan though.

If you try it on the Matador let me know how it goes.

I just saw that Mike also has a Paella recipe in the recipe section that he did on the Matador.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back