Masterbuilt Gravity Series

flippingeo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Anyone have/had a MasterBuilt Charcoal Gravity Series and care to let me know they're thoughts?
I have a 590, and a 380, but I'm not 100% on the Bullseye. I've had it for 18 months, It just isn't quite what I had hoped and I've got an interested party so I need to replace my "grill". I don't want a gasser, and I can't justify dropping the bills for a Kamado style cooker right now.

So what I do know about it, based on research...
  • It's cheap for what it does - grills and smokes.
  • It's not the best quality materials (but neither is the bullseye)
  • It's highly customizable with aftermarket products to improve performance/lifespan
  • It's susceptible to grease fires if not cleaned regularly, or if you don't have an aftermarket manifold shield
  • Temperature control is pretty good (about on par with the RT lineup
  • Generally get more "smoke" with the charcoal and wood chunks than pellets.
Anyway, if you have one, or had one and are willing to indulge my request, it would be greatly appreciated. The good, the bad, the ugly... I'd like whatever you have.

I'm not interested in buying something that will disappoint me the same as the Bullseye. My 590 is rock solid for smoke. The only way I'd move completely from the RT lineup would be if I splurged for the Kamado style, or bought one of the higher end pellet burners - Yoder/KANDO. Maybe when I retire and my kids leave the house I'll get a Mill Scale Stickburner... But for now, the convince of pellets/gravity charcoal just seems right. Besides my wife said 2 is more than I need, so I know a 3rd is not an option (at least not while I'm married).

Thanks!

Interesting product line for sure. I had heard about them, but just looked for the first time based upon your post.

I get by with my RT and a PK Grill for lump charcoal and wood (and a Blackstone and a fryer). My charcoal cooks are typically hot and fast so I don't know I'd personally benefit from a digital charcoal burner. I do throw a chunk of various woods on top of the charcoal and get some decent smoke even in faster cooks.

Let us know what you find out and decide.

The gravity charcoal grills are interesting. When they came out, I did a bit of research into them. I've read/heard better things about the char griller version compared to masterbuilt. So I would give them a hard look also.

I personally LOVE my bullseye. It definitely isn't the best grill out there but it was $399 when I got it and to me, well worth the money. I was comparing to a Weber propane at the time but obviously the price points are a good amount apart.

Good luck!

I've never used one, but have seen them in stores. Loved the idea when they came out so I read up on them. I really wanted one. But at least with the Masterbuilt, it seems there have been concerns and problems with the wall that separates the cooking chamber from the gravity bin, and I seem to recall something about the feed mechanism itself. I would at least research to see if those have been addressed in a new version before buying. But what killed it for me was checking it out in Costco. Seemed very cheap and flimsy in several places, and I just couldn't overlook that. Ended up buying my RT-590 and haven't looked back.

Yeah I love my 590 for sure it was my original RT purchase. But doesn’t sear too great. I modded with a new auger motor, but that caused other problems. That is when I got the Bullseye and while it works, it’s a grill, I’ve just not been pleased with consistency on it.

Part of it is also that I like to tinker with new things. And I do miss charcoal grill flavor. At least with the MB, looks like it does a decent job of low and fast cooks. I might give it a try and I’ll report back

I have the 800 and have a few cooks on it.

1) I can't believe it but it will actually hold a steady 150 cook/smoke
2) The app & connection can be a bit buggy in my experience, I had to dedicate wifi to get consistency. I have 6 access points and I made one dedicated where I use it the closest. Usually don't have this with any other devices so was odd to me.
3) I did get the aftermarket firebox, fan protector & burner cover from Klotes. The factory firebox from 1 use was already diminishing but apparently it is intended to. I just don't want fiberglass in my food.
4) The rotisserie (separate) is temperamental and either a stronger motor is needed or you do need to balance it (I chose to balance and so far so good).
5) It doesn't seem to produce as much smoke as I thought it would and do not seem to get real charcoal smoke. But I am still only a few cooks in.
6) It does take some time to get up to temp sometimes. I think it could be some of the cheaper charcoal I got so this is still on the fence.
7) It does have thinner materials but it is solid on it's feet and rolls light. I do keep mine inside so don't have a rust issue.
8) It seems to go through charcoal faster than I expected but that is not an issue.
9) Overall I do like it and it does work very well with holding temps. They have the controller setup down for that.

Hope this helps.. I got an ok deal on mine from Facebook marketplace new in box. Someone grabbed it last fall when they were discounted and prob made a few bucks on me but I still saved a few bucks.

I would definitely go for it if you are leaning that way and have the room. It certainly has its own place for cooking.

@sdynak is the smokiness of your cooks more pronounced than on the Recteq? I’ve been toying with getting a Masterbuilt for when I want more smoke. Either that or I’m building another barrel cooker.

@sdynak is the smokiness of your cooks more pronounced than on the Recteq? I’ve been toying with getting a Masterbuilt for when I want more smoke. Either that or I’m building another barrel cooker.

@Waterboy .. I'd have to say it is similar. I think the reason is the fan driven performance of both units establishes an optimum burn in either unit. Meaning.. the variable speed fan in the MB and fan/auger feed in the RTQ work to optimize the temperature and burn.

The fan being the common component in both units I think is where the smoke gets blown away literally. I really expected the MB to be more smokey and bring out the charcoal flavor like my Kettle, but I have to be honest and say that doesn't happen 100% in reality but maybe theory.

It's not like there is none, but I think the fan induced burn and efficiency these units perform at just can't produce that heavy smokiness that a barrel/offset unit can when intentionally burn inefficient to produce the smoke.

I'm still very new to it but that is my initial view. I am seeing it as more of a heat source than a smoker just like the RTQ but there is some smokiness.

I still like it otherwise.. it did make an amazing set of ribs with a decent bark.

I did a rotisserie chicken and there was little to 0 smokiness. To me, it was as if I did it on a gasser. It could be my style of cooking so far on it and my experiments have not been vast to date.

Hope this makes sense LOL..

My buddy has the Masterbuilt 1050 gravity fed charcoal grill going on a year and he loves it, has been 100% reliable and is stupid accurate temp wise. As for smoke flavor, oh yeah it's much more intense than pellet grills.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gravity-series-1050-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker
Did your buddy say how easy it is to clean? I am thinking of getting one. I miss the charcoal flavor in my RT grills and I don't like smoke flavored meat.

I've never heard him complain about cleaning, it stays cleaner than my pellet grill. True off set/convection heating, so his cooking area stays pretty clean overall minus the obvious nectar that drips down. It heats FAST, and yeah gets hotter than the pellet grills.

I've never heard him complain about cleaning, it stays cleaner than my pellet grill. True off set/convection heating, so his cooking area stays pretty clean overall minus the obvious nectar that drips down. It heats FAST, and yeah gets hotter than the pellet grills.
Can you grill on it like a normal charcoal grill? Thank you for your info.

Last edited:
Yes. Didn't care for the flavor
I'm not sure which ones you used but the only ones that I think give close to a charcoal grill flavor is the Royal Oaks ones which are 100% charcoal and even can get soaked in water not that I would advise that. The other ones like Char-hickory from Lumber Jack or the Camp Chef version are not 100% charcoal pellets and I never tasted any "charcoal" smoke flavor from them.

If the Royal Oak sold for the same price as other pellets, I would buy them for sure. I do usually have one bag on hand b/c I use those pellets for my smoke tube when I use it with wood chips.

Thanks for the info @sdynak. Do you add wood chunks either in the stack, in the ash tray or both? I thought adding the wood chunks would give a smokier flavor.

Thanks for the info @sdynak. Do you add wood chunks either in the stack, in the ash tray or both? I thought adding the wood chunks would give a smokier flavor.

I added only to the stack so far. I did not put any in the ash tray. I used lump charcoal also.

I wish I had more time with it to give better feedback.

Here is my initial post

I deleted some videos I made as my cloud storage was getting low and never got to post them first.

I really do like it. But from what I have seen so far can't say it's up there with an offset for smokiness. These things are built for optimum combustion. It has decent visible smoke at startup but then dissipates as it heats up and you can barely even smell it after. You might get different results.

You can see what the folks over at Smoking Meat Forums say. There is a section just for charcoal smokers.

Since I was heading that way anyway, I did look at the Masterbuilt Grill @ Costco. It is a special "Pack Up" for Costco -- Model 900, which does not exist on the Masterbuilt website. This pack up includes the new pizza oven. I could be completely wrong, but the charcoal hopper and feeder, seem to be a little thicker than I remember. Lid is beefy, and the grates are cast iron. Wheels look a little heavier also. If I wanted to "automate" my Weber Kettle, I might have to kick the tires. Grab your socket set, since the "wrench" is a piece of stamped steel -- Crap. Does have the front shelf, which I forgot to mention.If you "bite", please let me/us know. Like I need ANOTHER grill...maybe, dear...

Since I was heading that way anyway, I did look at the Masterbuilt Grill @ Costco. It is a special "Pack Up" for Costco -- Model 900, which does not exist on the Masterbuilt website. This pack up includes the new pizza oven. I could be completely wrong, but the charcoal hopper and feeder, seem to be a little thicker than I remember. Lid is beefy, and the grates are cast iron. Wheels look a little heavier also. If I wanted to "automate" my Weber Kettle, I might have to kick the tires. Grab your socket set, since the "wrench" is a piece of stamped steel -- Crap. Does have the front shelf, which I forgot to mention.If you "bite", please let me/us know. Like I need ANOTHER grill...maybe, dear...
Hmmm…my Costco doesn’t list them on their website. I wonder if it is a regional item?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back