Mad dash for Bear Mountain

RattleR

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am almost to the stall of a Butt and I look in the hopper 😱 and wow almost nothing left I mean Nothing. Hit Lowes for some Bear Mountain 12.99 for 20 lbs, not great but beggers can't be choosers. I am heading out and see 40 lbs of Pit boss gourmet blend 16.99. I started on PB pellets so I grabbed them. Fast forward, check out can't get the PB's to ring up! So end up with 60 lbs of pellets for 26.00 of course + tax. And the butt cook goes un interrupted!

You know - I wasn't sure about how much of a difference pellets make in your cook; I finally opened one of the bourbon barrel sacks, Visible smoke (blue not dirty) at 275. More smell, more taste. This is only my fourth "flavor" so far, but this is quite different for me. Pit Boss Cherry, Pit Boss Hickory, Reqtec, and now the Bourbon Barrel. Don't know if I'll become one of those guys that switches pellets based on what I'm cooking, but now I finally see the difference.

You know - I wasn't sure about how much of a difference pellets make in your cook; I finally opened one of the bourbon barrel sacks, Visible smoke (blue not dirty) at 275. More smell, more taste. This is only my fourth "flavor" so far, but this is quite different for me. Pit Boss Cherry, Pit Boss Hickory, Reqtec, and now the Bourbon Barrel. Don't know if I'll become one of those guys that switches pellets based on what I'm cooking, but now I finally see the difference.
Are the Burbon Barrel PB's? I saw some at Lowes this morning and almost grabbed them. And to think, they might not have rung up either, could have been 100 lbs for 40.00💡. I guess the old saying haste makes.....

1658083846872.png

I do give some effort to staying on topic....

View attachment 16795
I do give some effort to staying on topic....
How does BM compare to lumberjack? I’ve been trying different pellets and I enjoy the lumberjack because they are so clean And I like the different flavors. I haven‘t found them in Indiana, close to my house so I have been orderIHG them from Michigan and get them delivered. $10.99 for 20lb. I usually get several bags but shipping is a little pricey.

How does BM compare to lumberjack? I’ve been trying different pellets and I enjoy the lumberjack because they are so clean And I like the different flavors. I haven‘t found them in Indiana, close to my house so I have been orderIHG them from Michigan and get them delivered. $10.99 for 20lb. I usually get several bags but shipping is a little pricey.
I can't compare it seems I live in a pellet black hole. PB, finally found some BM, that I wanted to start using, and Treager. I know others on these forms can speak to differences.

I can't compare it seems I live in a pellet black hole. PB, finally found some BM, that I wanted to start using, and Treager. I know others on these forms can speak to differences.
Do the BM pellets seem to be pretty clean? Free of a lot of residual dust in the bag? Thanks!

I didn't notice much when I dumped the bag into the hopper. There were more bits in the recteq bag.
I've got to give the credit to the pellets; the brisket only had Lawrey's on it and I was told it may just be the best brisket I've ever done.
As to the clean burn (like lumberjack and recteq) - maybe these burn a little dirtier, and maybe that's why the food tastes better. Lots more visible smoke - but "blue-ish" not like from a steam engine.
I got my pellets from Blain's when they had their shipping special. $7 for the whole order and the bags were under $9 for 20lb. Gonna keep an eye out for the next shipping special and order 200lbs next time.

Bear Mountain has been best pellet brand for me - low amount of dust/crap in bags, gives good flavor, and some of their blends are just awesome. I could use their Gourmet BBQ for every cook and just never change type of pellets.

I accidentally discovered Bear Mountain when I ran short of Lumber Jack during a cook several months ago, and all I could quickly find locally was Bear Mountain hickory. Loved the smoky flavor and have used them ever since. Will have to try the flavored pellets.

$7.49 for 20lb bag of Bourbon today (Blain's). Got me 10 more bags to toss on the pile.

I'm considering mixing Bourbon with Recteq to see how that goes. Recteq burns great, Bourbon has more flavor. I also grabbed 2 bags of Kirkland - good price, haven't tested yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back