MacGyvered - Front Folding Shelf for RT-590 - Mods to prevent Cover Tear

I ordered some outdoor blinds a few weeks back and each blind came with 2 of these Styrofoam 90° packing gizmos. I knew I'd find a use for them. Coupled with a couple of zip ties & the slight compression in the Styrofoam gizmos... these should do the trick. I have to remove them to use the shelf but everything just slides off and are reusable.
20200401_131007.jpg
20200401_130703.jpg

Another thing you could EASILY do is just take 2 tennis balls & cut a slit in each. Put them on when you're going to put the cover on. Take them off when using the shelf. Keep it simple. ?
Another simple and good idea!
Greg

I really like the look and how the shelf folds down on the 590. What I am concerned about and as others have stated is that when folded down it leave the sheet metal holding the shelf sticking out. It's only time before it tears into the cover....

What we really need is a fitted plastic or rubber guard that can slip over the exposed corners when you put the cover on.
I decided to go to Homedepot and see if I could MacGyver something. I found two items that looked promising, plastic cordmate (found in electrical) and GB Gardner Bender Flex Tubing.

The cordmate did not work due to the angle of the bracket and the Flex tubing while it made the turn, would not stay on. I have attached pictures of what the shelf looks like when it is up and down, for those that don't own one.

I think what we need is something similar to what found on amazon, but made to fit to the shelf bracket.

I did find a couple possible solutions on Amazon, but have not ordered yet.

Edge Trim Black Small, 1/8" Fits Edge (10 Feet Length) $10.50 and also
Trim-Lok Edge Trim – Fits 1/16” Edge

Anyone else find a solution?
Best Greg
@Gotcha, I want to use an edge guard like this and just remove them when required. Did you find any that fit fairly snug? These from Amazon look a little too big.

https://www.amazon.com/YouU-Protect...lass+corner+protectors&qid=1595087943&sr=8-11

Here's what mine looks like. I'm not sure how it happened, but I believe it was the wind. I first noticed it a couple days after a blizzard.
I stand vindicated as I suggested this was going to be a possible problem when they introduced the shelf.

Foam roller or pool noodle? Didn't think about this being an issue, but glad I saw this thread. I could see taking the cover on and off being an issue.

I no longer have the issue. Since RT is out of the front folding shelf I decided to add a wooden shelf. Shouldn't be an issue with the cover.

hi just joined this forum a little bit ago. ordered a 590 didn't receive it yet probably this week sometime . wanted a shelf but they are out of them. been reading about the problem with possible cover tears from bracket. do you think that if you cut a slit in two tennis balls or solid foam rubber balls and put them on the brackets when the shelf is down and going to put the cover on would work, i know it will be a pain to put on and take off but a cheap fix maybe

hi just joined this forum a little bit ago. ordered a 590 didn't receive it yet probably this week sometime . wanted a shelf but they are out of them. been reading about the problem with possible cover tears from bracket. do you think that if you cut a slit in two tennis balls or solid foam rubber balls and put them on the brackets when the shelf is down and going to put the cover on would work, i know it will be a pain to put on and take off but a cheap fix maybe
I think the tennis balls will work.

I have not seen this shelf before, so pardon my ignorance. Are the little holes near the front tip of the brackets where some latch or spring ball engages to support the shelf when raised? And could the shelf and brackets be modified to move those parts closer to the grill, so that the front edge could be cut down a bit? If so, it would reduce the amount that juts out when the shelf is folded. I guess that will change the weight rating of the shelf, but that may be a tradeoff worth considering.

Also - is this a product, that can be bought, and if so, where please?

Shane

Found these hinges on Amazon and made my own shelf. I don't think it would interfere with the cover at all
That's nice. Dumb question though - do you think that would work with the standard base as well as with your competition one?

That's nice. Dumb question though - do you think that would work with the standard base as well as with your competition one?
It probably works even better w/o the competition cart since the mounting locations are the same and you don't have to account for the way the competition cart angles outward for when it's folded down.

Ostrichsak (great name) is correct. Should work just fine with the standard stand. I made the shelf out of a scrap piece of HDPE cutting board. The brackets I used are found here.

Ostrichsak (great name) is correct. Should work just fine with the standard stand. I made the shelf out of a scrap piece of HDPE cutting board. The brackets I used are found here.
Why thank you! It's my gamertag online so if you fancy a Warzone frolic.. just halla at ya boy! lulz

I don't see this being an issue because the horns hold the cover out over the shelf brackets.
I have no problem with mine either, to my knowledge. I am careful when putting on the cover, but once on, there seems to be no real contact with the shelf brackets. Mine is stored on a covered porch when not in use and there are no wind problems for me. However, I have not inspected the internal surface, so will give it a look and report if any sign of wear. Thanks for the heads up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back