Stampede MacGyvered - Front Folding Shelf for RT-590 - Mods to prevent Cover Tear

I had a customer send me a link to this post asking for help. Anyone care to take some measurements on the jutted out part for me? I have the 700+shelf, but not the 590+shelf. A drawing with measurements in MM (more precise) would be great. Thank you!

I have no trouble and no tears without any mod. I am just slow and careful putting on and off. I did make sure that the edges of the protruding brackets were very smooth. A fine file might remove any sharpness. ?

I really like the look and how the shelf folds down on the 590. What I am concerned about and as others have stated is that when folded down it leave the sheet metal holding the shelf sticking out. It's only time before it tears into the cover....

What we really need is a fitted plastic or rubber guard that can slip over the exposed corners when you put the cover on.
I decided to go to Homedepot and see if I could MacGyver something. I found two items that looked promising, plastic cordmate (found in electrical) and GB Gardner Bender Flex Tubing.

The cordmate did not work due to the angle of the bracket and the Flex tubing while it made the turn, would not stay on. I have attached pictures of what the shelf looks like when it is up and down, for those that don't own one.

I think what we need is something similar to what found on amazon, but made to fit to the shelf bracket.

I did find a couple possible solutions on Amazon, but have not ordered yet.

Edge Trim Black Small, 1/8" Fits Edge (10 Feet Length) $10.50 and also
Trim-Lok Edge Trim – Fits 1/16” Edge

Anyone else find a solution?
Best Greg
Look up corner protection at lowes. Pack of 4 with double sided tape. Might eork

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back