Lump Charcoal

Vasse

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
In one of the facebook groups I saw a guy say (and show pics) of where he put a small log of wood inside the grill right next to the burn pot. Has anyone tried this with lump charcoal? In theory it seems like it would work to me, but not sure how long you would have to preheat to get the charcoal to start to burn. Just looking for a way to get charcoal flavor on higher temp short cooks.

Just looking for a way to get charcoal flavor on higher temp short cooks.
Best way to do that would be to buy a charcoal grill, but I expect that’s not the answer you want to hear. I just don’t see how adding lump charcoal would work-it would constantly screw with the PID controller so I expect your grill would run hot. Just adding chucks of wood do that, and it doesn’t burn as hot and fast as charcoal. The charcoal pellets are frowned upon by some of the recteq folks, as well, as they have suggested they could contribute to a hopper fire. If you try it, let us know how it goes.

My wife says our Thanksgiving baby back ribs were awesome. She wants me to use Pit Boss Charcoal pellets from now on. I still want to try out LJ's Char Hickory flavor.

Everyone has to find the flavor profile they like but I don’t understand why folks feel the need to add charcoal to their pellet grills.

I use charcoal in my other cookers for heat and add different woods for the flavor profile I want. I do like the flavor of the grease drippings burning off the charcoal back on to my meat but again the charcoal’s job is to produce the heat.

While mild in flavor it seems like with pellets you just get the wood for heat and flavor and a cleaner flavor at that. Help me out, what am I missing about charcoal flavor?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back