Lower heat than expected?

mikepav

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am new to the forum everyone. Hello! I just tried using my new Matador and was not expecting the lower heat that it produced. I tried to use it for a high heat stir fry cooking but it was no where near where I would like it to be. I am not saying that Recteq did anything wrong. I love the cooker. I just had it in my mind that it would be hotter. Has anyone ever tried putting a turkey fryer regulator on one or do you have another solution? Thank you in advance!

I am new to the forum everyone. Hello! I just tried using my new Matador and was not expecting the lower heat that it produced. I tried to use it for a high heat stir fry cooking but it was no where near where I would like it to be. I am not saying that Recteq did anything wrong. I love the cooker. I just had it in my mind that it would be hotter. Has anyone ever tried putting a turkey fryer regulator on one or do you have another solution? Thank you in advance!
What is a Turkey fryer regulator?

I am not an expert but the pressure from a propane 20 lb tank is about 170 psi (I have read) so it needs to be reduced so a blow torch is not coming out. I found this:

Does a propane fryer need a regulator?
A residential application will require a low pressure regulator which reduces the gas pressure to 6 ounces (10.5 inches water column). ... Portable tanks require propane pressure regulation. Sometimes a low pressure regulator is built directly into the gas appliance, but more often is installed on the portable tank itself.

The regulator should make no difference unless defective. Verify pressure with manometer of existing regulator. Increasing the orifice size would give you more heat but you're playing with fire and will probably void any warranty.

At 18k BTU, the Matador burner is underpowered to do true high heat wok cooking (dedicated wok burners often operate at 160k+ BTU), but it does get hot enough to do hot oil pan frying. Personally, I’d like to have a 30k burner on it myself, which would match what my Camp Chef stove puts out. I’ve never used a turkey fryer regulator that I liked the granularity and repeatability of the valve. In other words, I’m agreeing with you that the Matador could benefit from more heat without offering any suggestions! I did see pics of a Matador that the owner replaced the factor burner with a jet burner, so there are ways to get more heat if you are willing to experiment. I’d be interested in hearing if you come up with anything.

Thanks for the info. I am not ready to spend a lot of bucks on a new burner just yet but would consider replacing the regulator with a higher pressure one (12 dollars). I am concerned with the safety issues in doing that though. Greg tells me that a new regulator won't increase the flame which I don't understand. I would have thought that increasing the pressure would increase the velocity through the orifice and thereby increasing the volume, but I will accept his experience over mine. I have attached my cooker on max heat. Does this look like yours on max heat? The outer ring barely lights. If it looks weak then I will try to get my regulator replaced by recteq. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• matador.jpg
    matador.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
Mine is still in the box unsure if I want to keep it or not but that can't be right for flame on high. I doubt that would even heat up that massive bowl. Interested to hear with others say.

Don't return it. I bet it is just a faulty regulator. I am not trying to disparage the product. I will call them when they open. They have a great customer service reputation.

Thanks for the info. I am not ready to spend a lot of bucks on a new burner just yet but would consider replacing the regulator with a higher pressure one (12 dollars). I am concerned with the safety issues in doing that though. Greg tells me that a new regulator won't increase the flame which I don't understand. I would have thought that increasing the pressure would increase the velocity through the orifice and thereby increasing the volume, but I will accept his experience over mine. I have attached my cooker on max heat. Does this look like yours on max heat? The outer ring barely lights. If it looks weak then I will try to get my regulator replaced by recteq. Thanks for the help!
What's the current pressure and what are you increasing the pressure to?

Greg tells me that a new regulator won't increase the flame which I don't understand...
I assume you mean a different Greg, as I didn’t mean to imply that in anything I said?

I went out early this frosty morning and took a picture of my completely stock Matador, both burners on high. A couple of things you might want to try, first unhook your regulator and then hook it back up. I recall having to do this with mine when it was new to get everything to work properly. Second, check the adjuster wheels for the air/fuel ratio to make sure those are where they need to be to give you the hottest flame.

Attachments

• A0965AC6-6CCD-451C-A848-3686895422AE.jpeg
    A0965AC6-6CCD-451C-A848-3686895422AE.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 164
I have already unhooked to several and reattached several times. What/where is an adjuster wheel? I really appreciate you going out in the cold to take that pic.

Chris- I haven't been able to find what the current pressure is, only that it is supposed to produce 18,000 total BTUs.

I have already unhooked to several and reattached several times. What/where is an adjuster wheel? I really appreciate you going out in the cold to take that pic.

Chris- I haven't been able to find what the current pressure is, only that it is supposed to produce 18,000 total BTUs.
10.0 - 11.0 IN WC Regulator may be marked, BTW flame looked normal to me.

Here. I think all propane burners have some way to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Most I’ve seen have a collar to turn-this system is the only one like it I’ve seen. An online search of ‘adjust propane burner flame’ or something close will find lots of images and videos of what the optimum flame should look like.

Thanks everyone. I think my expectations were just unrealistic. I may play with it but I don't want to post anything that might be considered a safety hazard.

@mikepav, where did you come out on this?

I am wondering if you bumped the pressure up a bit with a new regulator?

Any updates on anyone using a higher pressure regulator, larger orifice, or replacement burner swap-out? I just added the Matador to my collection and as others have mentioned the heat output is well below what was expected. I sent photos to rectec and they say that it looks correct. I did not buy the Matador to cook a small meal for 2 to 4 people, I can do that on any cheapo burner, if I can find something to get some more flame height etc... I may keep it, but as is it cannot even cook nearly what I had expected.. I know fdisk sells larger orifice kits called the "firepower orifice" but the setup is different.

Update, I purchased two different regulators, one with a fixed regulator that attaches directly to the tank and a second with a adjustable regulator.

The fixed regulator works great and seems to provide about a 25-30% boost in output. It is very simple and nothing to tinker with.

With the adjustable regulator, you can adjust the flow to likely double the output; however, you will have to adjust it every use and also adjust the air feed screws on the burner to get a semi clean flame. If the pressure goes high it will backfire and extinguish itself. This option requires constant attention and is likley much more dangerous if not tended to.

I have not cooked on either yet, but I feel the fixed regulator will be the best option. It's too bad rectec does not acknowledge the issue or provide the fixed regulator as an option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back