Low carb game changer.

epcotisbest

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I have to eat low carb because of diabetes and have been struggling with giving up a lot of the good stuff.
You know, bread, biscuits, chips, fries, fried foods, pasta, cakes etc...
I recently discovered something that for me is going to be a game changer...chaffles.
Now, this is not hyperbole, these things are great, makes for a very tasty bread substitute and are easy to make and store in the fridge for later.
If you are not familiar with chaffles, just do a google search. Lots of varieties and plenty of videos on them too.
Here is a pic of tonight's sandwich made with chaffles, leftover brisket, peppers, onions, salsa and sour cream.
Incredibly tasty and most importantly, satisfying without having to worry about carbs.

chaffle sandwich.jpg

Looks great! The wife and I went keto about 9 months ago and I’ve discovered some interesting substitutes for the carbs. In particular, I’ve been making almond flour pasta that is pretty darn close in taste and texture to the flour pasta I used to make.

Looks great! The wife and I went keto about 9 months ago and I’ve discovered some interesting substitutes for the carbs. In particular, I’ve been making almond flour pasta that is pretty darn close in taste and texture to the flour pasta I used to make.

That sounds good. The chaffles have a small amount of almond flour in them.
I was hesitant about trying substitutes after reading about mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes. Well, that did not work at all, no matter how many different times I tried it.
Might have to try the almond flour pasta.

Chaffles sound good.

I've tried the mashed cauliflower thing too but.....nope, their not an acceptable substitute for mashed potatoes. Mashed turnips are not bad though.

I think the key is if you do not like cauliflower, you aren't going to like them mashed.

How is keto going for you guys?

Will check with the boss.. she is all over the keto & low/no carb thing and see if she is aware of this.

Almond flour is acceptable so could be something to try.

I was hesitant about trying substitutes after reading about mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes. Well, that did not work at all, no matter how many different times I tried it.
SO True! I used to like cauliflower… until I tried twisting it into a keto diet.

How is keto going for you guys?
It’s been good to us, but we both have plateaued recently. I lost 60 pounds in the first 5 months, have held steady since then. The wife lost 25 pounds and plateaued, but she’s almost to her goal weight anyway. It’s been especially good for her as she no longer has the inflammation that plagued her when eating the really starchy carbs such as potatoes and rice.

Will check with the boss.. she is all over the keto & low/no carb thing and see if she is aware of this.

Almond flour is acceptable so could be something to try.

Actually, the almond flour is optional. Just grated cheese and an egg mixed together works just fine. A tablespoon of almond flour gives the chaffle a bit more bread texture and adds minimal carbs.
I also like to use bought pimento cheese instead of grated cheese sometimes. Works great and tastes great.

Actually, the almond flour is optional. Just grated cheese and an egg mixed together works just fine. A tablespoon of almond flour gives the chaffle a bit more bread texture and adds minimal carbs.
I also like to use bought pimento cheese instead of grated cheese sometimes. Works great and tastes great.

Yeah.. I was looking some of this up. The boss does have one of the small pancake style Dash makers not the waffle one. I guess she had done similar some time ago but nothing recent so didn't think she was initially.

Some of the issue is she is also trying to stay away from dairy but nothing is firm. More of just trying to be healthy and weight conscious not allergies so the rules are not set in stone.

I think this might at least be better than using lettuce for a burger roll :) .. thanks for the thoughts.

Yeah.. I was looking some of this up. The boss does have one of the small pancake style Dash makers not the waffle one. I guess she had done similar some time ago but nothing recent so didn't think she was initially.

Some of the issue is she is also trying to stay away from dairy but nothing is firm. More of just trying to be healthy and weight conscious not allergies so the rules are not set in stone.

I think this might at least be better than using lettuce for a burger roll :) .. thanks for the thoughts.

I can’t even count how many burgers I have had with lettuce for a bun. Fortunately for me, dairy is not an issue and the chaffle as a hamburger bun is one of the first things I tried. Also makes good ham sandwiches, and I am so looking forward to the first homegrown tomato sandwich this summer with gobs of mayo, and plenty of salt and pepper.

I like the idea of almond flour pasta. Spaghetti squash works too but I need to try some real pasta

I like the idea of almond flour pasta. Spaghetti squash works too but I need to try some real pasta
Almond Flour is not bad at all. The spaghetti squash never went over well here as a pasta, but we do like it as long as I’m not trying to make a pasta substitute out of it. It’s probably about the best winter squash out there for anyone low-carb. Acorn squash is about the worst.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back