Low and Slow Chuck Roast (Round 2)

ORazor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I’ve previously posted about low and slow Chuck Roast, but this is my best one to date. As always, doing the offset to +17 (I’m actually running +15 these days) turns this grill into a great low and slow machine. I was pegged between 210F and 245F for all 8 hours, no issue.

Seasoned with olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning - I went heavier than normal, and I got a great bark. Wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for an hour to cool - this was key for my bigger smoke ring than last time. I read somewhere that cold meat absorbs smoke better - I don’t know if it’s true, but it turned out to be the case for me. My last chuck was room temp and didn’t have much of a smoke ring.

Set the grill at 225F, used a drip pan, and spritzed with water every hour starting at hour 2. At hour 6, I wrapped it. Pulled after 8 hours at an internal temp of 190F.

Another great success going low and slow with the Bullseye. It can be done!

best,
Bill

Attachments

• 4264ADC4-7BB7-40E4-BB75-3EF53D13F133.jpeg
    4264ADC4-7BB7-40E4-BB75-3EF53D13F133.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 229
  • DE327962-395B-4A9F-B009-F569B365F05E.jpeg
    DE327962-395B-4A9F-B009-F569B365F05E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • 80EC5DB9-EABB-4D8B-8540-1C9BB9F2208C.jpeg
    80EC5DB9-EABB-4D8B-8540-1C9BB9F2208C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • F1BD8916-9DDF-43B1-A358-FC802BC96A29.jpeg
    F1BD8916-9DDF-43B1-A358-FC802BC96A29.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2042.mp4
    2.1 MB
Outstanding!

Ive ruined 3 chuck roast so far so thanks I don't know what im doing wrong but they are always dry and tough

1. Have you done the temperature offset? These grills run hot otherwise.
2. Are you using a drip pan full of water?
3. Are you spritzing every hour (ish)
5. Are you monitoring the temperature of the meat with a temp probe?
6. Are you wrapping the meat once it hits 160F?
7. Are you letting it rest for at least 30 mins in the foil/cooler after you take it off the grill?

I’ve previously posted about low and slow Chuck Roast, but this is my best one to date. As always, doing the offset to +17 (I’m actually running +15 these days) turns this grill into a great low and slow machine. I was pegged between 210F and 245F for all 8 hours, no issue.

Seasoned with olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning - I went heavier than normal, and I got a great bark. Wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for an hour to cool - this was key for my bigger smoke ring than last time. I read somewhere that cold meat absorbs smoke better - I don’t know if it’s true, but it turned out to be the case for me. My last chuck was room temp and didn’t have much of a smoke ring.

Set the grill at 225F, used a drip pan, and spritzed with water every hour starting at hour 2. At hour 6, I wrapped it. Pulled after 8 hours at an internal temp of 190F.

Another great success going low and slow with the Bullseye. It can be done!

best,
Bill
Ok a newbie here...one cook so far on a 590...simple boneless chicken breasts low and slow...they were very good......what do you mean by +17 offset?

Ok a newbie here...one cook so far on a 590...simple boneless chicken breasts low and slow...they were very good......what do you mean by +17 offset?
This is systemic to the BT-380. Out of the box the grill runs hotter than what the temperature setting reads - Recteq essentially denies this, but it has been confirmed widely by users with independent thermometers. This offset simply matches the temperature reading of the grill with actual temperature. The required offset tends to be around +17. For me it’s actually +15. It’s probably not an issue on the 590.

This is systemic to the BT-380. Out of the box the grill runs hotter than what the temperature setting reads - Recteq essentially denies this, but it has been confirmed widely by users with independent thermometers. This offset simply matches the temperature reading of the grill with actual temperature. The required offset tends to be around +17. For me it’s actually +15. It’s probably not an issue on the 590.
RT also suggest NOT doing that. Your grill, your choice.

RT also suggest NOT doing that. Your grill, your choice.
As I said, Recteq denies this is an issue. Since it’s been empirically proven time and time again that it is an issue, it’s handy that Recteq have built in the offset feature to their controller which rectifies the issue and makes this grill perform as advertised. Perfect for low and slow, and hot and fast.

As I said, Recteq denies this is an issue. Since it’s been empirically proven time and time again that it is an issue, it’s handy that Recteq have built in the offset feature to their controller which rectifies the issue and makes this grill perform as advertised. Perfect for low and slow, and hot and fast.
Again, your grill, your choice. I'll trust RT.

Again, your grill, your choice. I'll trust RT.
I’ll trust the independent thermometers that have conclusively proven otherwise, by myself and countless others. Again, I’m just glad that a feature of the grill that they show how to use in the instruction manual corrects the issue.

I’ll trust the independent thermometers that have conclusively proven otherwise, by myself and countless others. Again, I’m just glad that a feature of the grill that they show how to use in the instruction manual corrects the issue.
This. RT can say there isn't a problem all day long from today till eternity, but the reality is hundreds of individuals using ThermoWorks and other brands of temp probes have shown time and again the BT-380 runs 50-200+ degrees hotter out of the box than the built-in probe reads. If it were just one or two, it'd be easier to dismiss and take RT's stance but there is very clearly an issue either in their code or in the probes being specified by them.

In ThermoWorks I trust.

This. RT can say there isn't a problem all day long from today till eternity, but the reality is hundreds of individuals using ThermoWorks and other brands of temp probes have shown time and again the BT-380 runs 50-200+ degrees hotter out of the box than the built-in probe reads. If it were just one or two, it'd be easier to dismiss and take RT's stance but there is very clearly an issue either in their code or in the probes being specified by them.

In ThermoWorks I trust.
As long as RT is honoring my warranty I will abide by their request.

You gentleman failed to realize at no point did I say the temperature matched an outside reference.

You gentleman failed to realize at no point did I say the temperature matched an outside reference.
Which is WHY RT needs to acknowledge the problem and fix it rather than play ignorant. 200F is 200F no matter what thermometer, thermocouple or thermistor used, but with the BT-380 as shipped what they claim is 200F may actually be 450F.

And under the Magnusson-Moss act unless they can prove changes made to the grill directly caused the failure they have to honor the warranty.

Which is WHY RT needs to acknowledge the problem and fix it rather than play ignorant. 200F is 200F no matter what thermometer, thermocouple or thermistor used, but with the BT-380 as shipped what they claim is 200F may actually be 450F.

And under the Magnusson-Moss act unless they can prove changes made to the grill directly caused the failure they have to honor the warranty.
That sounds like an issue you need to take up with RT. My Bullseye works fine, good luck with yours.

Are you suggesting using this setting voids the warranty? That’s crazy talk, considering they give explicit written directions on what to do, and have even posted YouTube videos walking you through how to do it.

Are you suggesting using this setting voids the warranty? That’s crazy talk, considering they give explicit written directions on what to do, and have even posted YouTube videos walking you through how to do it.
I never suggested anything about any settings, I hope you get your issues resolved.

I have no issues. This grill is great once you configure the settings correctly.
That's wonderful, I'm happy for you.
I'm glad you figured it out.

Ive ruined 3 chuck roast so far so thanks I don't know what im doing wrong but they are always dry and tough
What's the specifics with your cooks, e.g., time, temp, meat size?? I'm sure we can get you headed in the right direction with things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back