Looking to beat my meat

Dwight Smokem

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
Now that I have your attention. I'm wanting to get some input from you fine folks on here about meat quality. I had a rack of ribs a buddy brought over he got at Walmart, they were Tyson. They were horrible, and I'm pretty solid with at least decent output on ribs. Had a similar experience with an Aldi Boston Butt and last cryopack from Costco of ribs. But then did one of the best whole birds I've ever tasted with a Costco chicken. I have a few local butcher shops here in Louisville, and they will cut you some quality meat, but a brisket and a few racks of ribs will leave you filing for student loans. So here's the question's and I doubt I'm the only one in need of this guidance so please help.

1. What are some big box stores you trust with certain cuts/what are those cuts?

2. Anyone use any of these "butcher box" or other meat delivery sites to ensure quality?

3. Anyone know where big BBQ operations get their meat from? Like Aaron Franklins briskets or KC's rib joints?

Nothing chaps my burnt ends more than spending hours on a cook, knowing you're doing your part correctly, just to end up with inferior tasting meat.

Okay, so in the time since I wrote that I realize where Franklin buys his brisket and a 12-14lb'er Prime brisket from Creekstone will run you $165, but damn they look amazing on on his shows and videos, so how can the amateur get close without breaking the bank

I like Kroger brand baby backs. I have yet to get a bad tasting rack of ribs. I will also get pork butts from Kroger (Fred Meyer in the northwest) when they are on sale. I recently bought a rack of St. Louis ribs from Walmart, Smithfield I think, never again. They smelled funny raw. I threw them out. I have only done one brisket but I got it from US chef store. It’s kind of a restaurant supply store. It was pretty good. They have a pretty big meat selection.

I use prime brisket from Costco, ran me $5.99 this morning, which is double what it was last fall/winter.

I've not had good luck with Smithfield ribs, which came from Walmart, I have done okay with Tyson Baby backs from the local grocer but I look for Chairman's Choice, which the local grocer carries, sometimes.

For butts I like the Chairman's Choice, just used the last one I bought last fall for $.99 lb., no idea what they will be this year. Something I noticed is if it's not frozen, ask if it was frozen. As I buy 6 or so at a time and stick them in the freezer, I don't want pre thawed. I've found they have a funny scent when opened.

I get turkey breast from WM, forget the house brand, but that's what I've been using.

Best chickens I had was from a farm, for $20 for a 4 lb. Won't do that again but they were excellent. We've been getting the organic parts from Costco and bone-in skin-on breasts from the local grocer when we want better.

For steaks, which we have very infrequently, we drive an hour to a butcher in a very high end grocer for their prime. Costs $$$$, but well worth it when you only have it a few times a year.

For fish, we've been buying from a real busy grocer, never had old fish from them unlike others with low turnover.

Thank you for sharing so much and more importantly, thank you for your service so that my biggest worry is smoking good meat, and not where I can find any at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back