Long bone Spares

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
We were in Sam's Club yesterday and my wife requested full spare ribs.

I trimmed some fat and loose ends. The meat trimmings, I wrapped in foil and put them on for the dog.

The racks got my rub and went on heavy smoke at 180F for an hour and half. Then I cranked it to 350F for an hour, then "wrapped" in a foil tray. I think at 350F, wrapped, they should be done in about 35-45 mins.
20220623_103921.jpg

Last edited:
They took about 50 minutes wrapped, then 15 minutes back on the grill, while cranked to 400F.

The ribs came out good. But uneven in doneness. All areas were tender. But, parts were dry and parts were moist.

I believe the uneven doneness is typical of full spare ribs. That's why St. Louis cut is the competition standard.

I'd like to do this with St Louis cut ribs before further conclusions.

I did a full spare a couple of weeks ago. Smoked for 3 hours at 225, then wrapped for 2 hours at 250, then pulled and put back on for 30-45 minutes. They were a little more uneven than in the past. I did not trim to St. Louis style, but did trim some. It was an enormous rack. I think that was the issue. Next time I will trim more to St. Louis style.
I cooked a rack of BB at the same time for my wife, went 2 hours then wrapped for 1 hour and they were perfect.
I think I left the spares on too long while her baby backs cooked as I started the spares earlier.

I did a full spare a couple of weeks ago. Smoked for 3 hours at 225, then wrapped for 2 hours at 250, then pulled and put back on for 30-45 minutes. They were a little more uneven than in the past. I did not trim to St. Louis style, but did trim some. It was an enormous rack. I think that was the issue. Next time I will trim more to St. Louis style.
I cooked a rack of BB at the same time for my wife, went 2 hours then wrapped for 1 hour and they were perfect.
I think I left the spares on too long while her baby backs cooked as I started the spares earlier.
Do you find that the St. Louis style cook the most evenly? When it‘s just the St. Louis by themselves? I have found that BB are the hardest to time up. I believe the trim/cut are never standard. Thanks in advance.

I think it was just the Spare Rib rack I had was huge, 5 pounds, ribzilla. Just overcooked. Yes, I think the St Louis style cook more even if they are trimmed correctly.
I have not had a problem with BB as I dont cook them anywhere near 3-2-1, as I said earlier I cooked some 2 hours naked, wrapped and they were done in an hour, maybe hour and a half. As many have said ribs are not a one size fits all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back