Lodge P14P3 cast iron baking griddle on a Bullseye 590

ARCbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just a quick note. I'm really impressed with my 14 inch cast iron griddle for pizza on my 590. Pizza crusts so far have been perfect degree of crunchy & chewy. 500 deg for around 10 to 12 minutes for a 12 inch pizza, depending on topping, etc. So much so that I bought a second one (two will just fit side by side on a 590 grate), so I can cook pizzas for group of friends, and also cook multiple things (eggs & pancakes, fish & veg, etc) at the same time. About $50 with over 4500 reviews at 4.5 stars for this on Amazon. I have a pizza stone which works OK, but not as good as this. There are other brands which are less expensive and may work just as well, but I have no experience with those.

Make sure you give the griddle time to get up to temp since it is heavy. Also keep it seasoned well & food release is very good.

Also I have a Rec Tec griddle, but these 2 Lodge griddles are starting to be my "go to" items. The Rec Tec has similar surface area - more convenient for some types of cooking since it is single square surface, but is harder to store and handle (such as pouring off grease). And I use only 1 if I'm just cooking for my and my wife. Depends on what type of cooking you do. Take it for what it's worth.

1604837182536.png

ArcBBQ, Good information. Might I ask if you did a comparison between the Grillgrates and Lodge skillet? I have the GGs and they seem similar from. A temperature experience except the GG’s are slotted and allow smoke penetration through the grates and into the dough. When I use apple or cherry, I can’t tell much of a difference, But heavier wood pellets (e.g., hickory, mesquite, competition blends) I get a great wood fired flavor. Just wanted to get your perspective.

Thanks in advance.

I have not made that comparison. Since I use the griddles for other things (eggs, etc) I stayed with a solid surface type of griddle. I get a light smoky flavor also - probably from smoke getting into the top surface and toppings. But it's not too strong since the pizza only cooks for about 10 minutes. I have not done a lot of comparisons with different types of wood as you describe. But your experience matches the experience of a friend I have with a Traeger grill. He couldn't tell much difference with most woods except mesquite. I have mostly been concentrating on getting a really good evenly crisp crust. I've been in too many pizza restaurants where the crust was not evenly cooked - esp if there are a lot of toppings. Also I have a gas grill with cast iron grates that I use for searing, etc. so didn't have a need for Grillgrates, although I guessed that they would work very well. The Lodge griddles perform on either grill about the same. The main thing is how much heat energy the cooking surface can contain and sustain the temp as the dough cooks. After cooking a pizza at 500 deg and shutting off the grill, the Lodge was still too hot to pick up with bare hands after more than an hour. No substitute for mass, I guess. No matter what our tools and processes are, it's been fun experimenting.

Nice! I've been doing my pizzas on the aluminum pizza pan (holes in the pan) that I've had for ever. Works well. I also did a deep dish in my cast iron 12in skillet on the smoker. Turned out excellent.

Sounds great! A deep dish is on my list to try. I have a 10" cast iron fry pan, so probably use that. Just did 3 racks of baby backs last night for some company, so have to eat up the leftovers first. Might cut up a little of the rib meat for pizza topping.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back