Stampede Lo Temp Reality

RecSmoke

Recteq RT-590 temp spec on the website states 180-700 degrees. The control on the RT-590 goes from Lo, 200 to 500 then Full mode (after 500 not sure this is correct title). There is NOT a 180 degree setting or a 700 degree setting. I spoke with tech support. These are numbers during ideal lab test environment. Again per tech support the Lo setting is possible from 180 with 25 degree swing but not committed to holding 180. Again from tech support Full Mode might reach 700 degree but could swing temp not sure how much. This would have been more ethical to know since I was hoping to create recipes where this is a stable and functional reality. The Yoder is starting look better al the time.

Do a quick search on Yoder temp swings and you’ll find the same complaints. It is inherent in pellet grills and ovens in general. If you have a third party probe test your kitchen oven and you’ll see some temp swings. Overall I’ve found my 700 to be a very consistent cooker that gives me results I can count on. I get a consistent 180 on low and never really go above 450 on the high end because I have the Bullseye for higher temp cooks.

Give it some time and practice, then if you aren’t satisfied give the Yoder a try. Once @Greg Jones starts cooking on his new Yoder there will be some good feedback on the comparison between the two grills.

I ran at 180 for 4 hours today hot smoking some pork loin. It only swung a couple degrees on occasion unless I took a peek and it went into recovery - which swings it high immediately after I close the lid.
I think it was rock solid performance - especially with the ambient temp being in the 20s.

There is NOT a 180 degree setting or a 700 degree setting. I spoke with tech support. These are numbers during ideal lab test environment. Again per tech support the Lo setting is possible from 180 with 25 degree swing but not committed to holding 180. Again from tech support Full Mode might reach 700 degree but could swing temp not sure how much. This would have been more ethical to know since I was hoping to create recipes where this is a stable and functional reality. The Yoder is starting look better al the time.
Just so you know, you're talking about pellets on fire, way too many variables at the upper and lower temp range of the grill to keep the exact temp due to so many variables (i.e pellet type, outdoor temp, wind, humidity, etc...). Personally, I don't overthink it and just use the grill to produce awesome food.
Go buy a Yoder and report the results at the extreme upper and lower temp ranges.

Recteq RT-590 temp spec on the website states 180-700 degrees. The control on the RT-590 goes from Lo, 200 to 500 then Full mode (after 500 not sure this is correct title). There is NOT a 180 degree setting or a 700 degree setting. I spoke with tech support. These are numbers during ideal lab test environment. Again per tech support the Lo setting is possible from 180 with 25 degree swing but not committed to holding 180. Again from tech support Full Mode might reach 700 degree but could swing temp not sure how much. This would have been more ethical to know since I was hoping to create recipes where this is a stable and functional reality. The Yoder is starting look better al the time.
I have been able to hold temps as low as 180 and as high as 667. Using the recteq app you can set the target for 180 and it will change it to low but it still holds it at 180. The dip and spike are after opening the lid to test jerky.
1671896779664.png

Yeah, I was led to believe my RT-590 would keep stable temps throughout the whole temp range but it has never been the case. After several sessions with customer support and some replacement parts were sent and installed and adjustments made...it made no difference.

But after 2 major let downs at Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, I threw my RecTeq into the corner of the garage where it still sits today. I haven't been able to sell it and I couldn't even give it away as a a lobster boat anchor.

Last Thanksgiving, because of the temp swings that I couldn't get under control, my turkey was done way ahead of schedule and ended up super dry when we were ready to eat. But the straw that broke the camels back was on Christmas day last year when I was smoking a VERY expensive Angus prime rib roast for 12 people.

Again, my 590 had a mind of its own and had large temp swings that I couldn't control resulting in the roast being done 2 hours ahead of schedule and ended up past medium rare. In other words, it ruined that beautiful piece of meat.

Yeah, I was led to believe my RT-590 would keep stable temps throughout the whole temp range but it has never been the case. After several sessions with customer support and some replacement parts were sent and installed and adjustments made...it made no difference.

But after 2 major let downs at Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, I threw my RecTeq into the corner of the garage where it still sits today. I haven't been able to sell it and I couldn't even give it away as a a lobster boat anchor.

Last Thanksgiving, because of the temp swings that I couldn't get under control, my turkey was done way ahead of schedule and ended up super dry when we were ready to eat. But the straw that broke the camels back was on Christmas day last year when I was smoking a VERY expensive Angus prime rib roast for 12 people.

Again, my 590 had a mind of its own and had large temp swings that I couldn't control resulting in the roast being done 2 hours ahead of schedule and ended up past medium rare. In other words, it ruined that beautiful piece of meat.
I'm sorry to hear that you have had these problems, but suspect that there is a problem with your 590. I have found mine to be rock solid. I'm about 12 hours into a 215 brisket cook and it has been constant the whole time.

Sure wish I could buy this from you.

Use good pellets like recteq pellets or cooking pellets and you won't have much variation at all. I use a fire board for logging pit temps and meat temps and the pit only fluctuates about 3F either way. Use cheap pellets from Kirkland and I get 10F+ fluctuation because of the pellets inconsistency.

The reality of it is, most recipes are made for ovens and they fluctuate far more than most pellet grills. Your recipes won't be affected by the fluctuation of temperature from your recteq.

Like others have said, two posts in and you're picking at straws, if you're unhappy move on and get a Yoder so you can complain the their CSR but your complaints in reality are non issues and recteq advertised correctly. Get more time cooking under your belt and you'll realize that it's not an issue.

You keep posting how your grill doesn't work properly so you don't use it. I don't understand why someone would pay all that money for a grill, which unfortunately must have some type of defect, yet instead of resolving the issue, continues to come here and complain about it. 🤷‍♂️
There's not a lot of components to the grill so I have a hard time believing RT customer service was not able to help you get it working properly or did you just throw in the towel 🙄

Sheldon Cooper Reaction GIF by CBS

Last edited:
I know the older 700’s only get to 500 or so, I believe that when they came out with the 1250, that gets to 700 degrees, they started putting the same “guts” in the new 700’s that they would also get to 700. Maybe it’s the same with the 590’s???

I'm sorry to hear that you have had these problems, but suspect that there is a problem with your 590. I have found mine to be rock solid. I'm about 12 hours into a 215 brisket cook and it has been constant the whole
I'm sorry to hear that you have had these problems, but suspect that there is a problem with your 590. I have found mine to be rock solid. I'm about 12 hours into a 215 brisket cook and it has been constant the whole time.
You're overthinking this which will drive you crazy in the end. Personally I inject my bird liberally so I don't have to worry about dryness. I always go LOW & SLOW on my RT590 knowing that I can jack up the temp if need be. I give myself an extra 90 minutes in my cooking window & wrap in foil If & when it's done early and then bury it in my Yete.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back